First Peek at the 22-NXS!!

Ritch is out in the desert as we speak if he can manage it today. He had 40 MPH winds last Sunday so it was no go. As soon as he shoots them with his 20" side by side it will be shipped to me and then it's off to the races for me.

Greg

Just got a text. 55 at 3725 in the 24". This same load was 3632 in his 20". So right on 25 fps/inch. This exceeds Hornady's max speed out of a 26".

Ritch is now going to order up an 18". Looking forward to wringing mine out.

Greg

Maybe the question that should be asked is; is it possible to order a 22-NSX now? I realize there are many things that still need to be finalized, reamers made and so on but if I put a deposit on one, I'm in the Que. Delivery would be open ended and TBD.

Tijuana do ya wanna?

Originally Posted By: KahunerMaybe the question that should be asked is; is it possible to order a 22-NSX now? I realize there are many things that still need to be finalized, reamers made and so on but if I put a deposit on one, I'm in the Que. Delivery would be open ended and TBD.

Tijuana do ya wanna?

Give Ritch a call tomorrow. Reamers etc. were already ordered a couple weeks ago. He has four or five already ordered and a couple more getting ready to finalize.

Greg

Originally Posted By: KahunerAny news regarding brass availability?

No new companies yet. I'd get an order in with Creedmoor ASAP. Guys in the brass industry don't move really fast. Tooling is not cheap and they do like to make a profit. The good thing is you can get dies OTC and not be locked in to one supplier like many wildcats out there.

Greg

I have not studied this whole deal as close as maybe I should have but why is the 6 Hagar so slow compared to a 22 caliber version?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotehunter243This is a straight neck down hagar brass? If I read it correct

Using 22 Nosler dies for the chore because they are handy and easy to find. We use them making NOSGAR brass so why give up capacity by cutting the case.

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223I have not studied this whole deal as close as maybe I should have but why is the 6 Hagar so slow compared to a 22 caliber version?

Bigger bullets stuffed down in the case suck up a lot of space. I'll shoot some 90's for speed just for grins down the road.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: varminter .223I have not studied this whole deal as close as maybe I should have but why is the 6 Hagar so slow compared to a 22 caliber version?

Bigger bullets stuffed down in the case suck up a lot of space. I'll shoot some 90's for speed just for grins down the road.

Greg
But....bigger diameter 55 grain bullets would be shorter therefore taking up less neck room by being able to be seated out farther not to mention the physics of a given psi working on the bigger piston.

Last edited:
I haven't seen their powder choice so that might be a factor. Barrel choice, as in rifling, we know plays a great deal as TRUE polygon barrels we're shooting are faster than same length Enfield barrels. Across the board any loading data from Hodgdon used in them has consistently exceeded published velocities.

One could also postulate that getting what they got was good enough for them. The stated design of the case was to shoot big bullets at 600 yards single loaded so quite possibly the interest of the original designers stopped there.

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Has noone cut a hagar into a polygonal tube and pushed it?

I don't know of any but it would not surprise me if it had not been done. Ritch and I don't have any interest in doing it as we have the 6X6.8 that does extremely well.

I would say if you would pony up about $700.00 you could be a good test bed for one. That ought to cover the reamers, gauges, dies and a good barrel. I'm sure Ritch could get Tactical Ordnance to do one up for you in a true polygon barrel.

Greg

Just baffles me that the 6 Hagar is such a turd if the nxs really will run that hard.
I'm curious how many fps your dry air gains you over the atmospheric swamp I shoot through here in IL. For instance, a book max load of 36 grains of Varget in my 24" 220 Swift with a 55 only runs a little over 3,600 in my yard. The Hagar case holds more that a 6x 6.8 correct? If so only makes sense it should run as fast......
I guess the Hagar fell to the wayside simply because there was no brass available when all these new calibers were coming out for the AR?

Last edited:
You are under a misconception about the "dry air" here. Humidity lately has been in the 25-50% range with a whole bunch more on some days. I don't think MV is much effected my humidity anyway. Down range is where you will see it. In reality "dry" air is slower than "wet" air. In this instance at 3725 FPS the 55 Sierra BT drops 325.3 at 1036.4 fps with 0% humidity at 1000 yards. 50% humidity is 323.9 drop at 1039 and at 100% humidity it is 322.6 drop at 1042.6 fps. All at 2500 elevation. So 100% humidity is 6 FPS faster and 3.2" less drop compared to 0% at 1000 yards. Kind of a wash.

The Hagar does hold more capacity than the 6X6.8. The shoulder is taller and the case is longer.

Greg

Last edited:
I've never really studied humidity or the effects of sea level or never even had a chronograph until a year or so ago but it seems everything I shoot here is slower than what everybody else is shooting. I did notice that in some of the Hagar load data even the short throated Chambers they were still seating out at 2.360 ish if I recall. I have no need to fight anything over 2.310 with the current mags available for sure.
Given the success Ive had with the 22 nosler I can can't complain about fast 22 cal bullets vs. 6mm.

Last edited:
I believe Ritch is shooting these at mag length. He's thought out the free bore pretty well and we will do up a couple tubes with the new reamer when it comes in so we can verify and have solid data. Now that we have plenty of brass a trip to the range will generate a lot of stuff quickly with us shooting in parallel with him in Utah and me here in AZ. We shot untold numbers of groups working up the A-30 and I did all the data compilation for three shooters at the same time.

Of course a windowed mag is certainly a viable option and will do fine if a guy just has to shoot them long boys..LOL

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Just baffles me that the 6 Hagar is such a turd if the nxs really will run that hard.
I'm curious how many fps your dry air gains you over the atmospheric swamp I shoot through here in IL. For instance, a book max load of 36 grains of Varget in my 24" 220 Swift with a 55 only runs a little over 3,600 in my yard. The Hagar case holds more that a 6x 6.8 correct? If so only makes sense it should run as fast......
I guess the Hagar fell to the wayside simply because there was no brass available when all these new calibers were coming out for the AR?

Stop pointing out things just sit back and be entertained it’s better that way

I tried to skim back thru and see what the velocity difference is between the NXS and 22x6.8. This interests me as a fast caliber for my Thermal. Sure need 2 guns day and night

Back