barrel switch on ar pistol

I have a ar pistol in .223, 10.75" barrel with carbine length gas tube. I also have a 10.75" 300 aac blk barrel I would like to switch back and forth. it has the 6.75" gas tube and non adjustable gb. will the switch work without problems.
also I plan to use the barnes 300 aac 110 bullet, anyone using it and any powder recommendations for max velocity?
thx
bob

Last edited:
Are you saying you have two complete pistol uppers that you'd like to switch back and forth between, using a single pistol lower? If that's the case, then yes - it should work just fine.

I have my 300BLK dialed in with 125 grain Speer TNT's and Winchester 296 powder. Winchester 296, Hodgdon H110, and Hodgdon Lil Gun all work really well with the lighter 300BLK bullets.

I believe he is saying he has 1 complete upper and 1 barrel. He would like to swap the barrels back and forth between 223 and 300bo.
Yes it CD an be done, but why?
You would need different length gas tube and possibly gas block depending on gas system length and barrel diameter between the 2. Other than that, yes it should work fine.

your assessment is spot on, I have a complete 223 upper and a barrel with gas block and pistol tube. the 223 uses a carbine length tube and the 300 a 6.75 length. I will only use the 300 in our late deer pistol season. just thought th
e 300 made more sense for deer. most shots will be 150 yards or under using the 110 barns 300 aac bullet.

That's doable, but it seems like it would be a real and unnecessary pain in the butt to switch back and forth. It would literally be like building an upper, taking it apart, and re-building it again every time you want to switch. With prices on components as low as they are, I would just attach it to a dedicated upper. If you don't want the added expense of an extra set of optics, you can still swap optics back and forth, but I think making two uppers is gonna save you a lot of time and frustration in the long run.

Originally Posted By: cjclemensThat's doable, but it seems like it would be a real and unnecessary pain in the butt to switch back and forth. It would literally be like building an upper, taking it apart, and re-building it again every time you want to switch. With prices on components as low as they are, I would just attach it to a dedicated upper. If you don't want the added expense of an extra set of optics, you can still swap optics back and forth, but I think making two uppers is gonna save you a lot of time and frustration in the long run.

^^ this. even if you were to swap the barrel back and forth, you're still going to have to re-zero your optic every time you do so on the caliber switch.

if you wanna do on a budget right now, all you'll need is a upper and a handguard to get started. you should be able to share the BCG and chargingin handle, but again with the prices right now, might as well build a ready to go, swap two pins, type of upper.

even a nitrided BCG can be had for under $100

one thing to consider - black friday is coming shortly! i know that likely puts you past deer season, but if you need to go on the cheap this might be a way to do it.

if you cant wait, i'd suggest this - rebuild your current upper to 300 blk. then when black friday gets here order an upper receiver, bolt carrier group, charging handle, optic and handguard and rebuild your 223.

just something to consider.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: cjclemensThat's doable, but it seems like it would be a real and unnecessary pain in the butt to switch back and forth. It would literally be like building an upper, taking it apart, and re-building it again every time you want to switch. With prices on components as low as they are, I would just attach it to a dedicated upper. If you don't want the added expense of an extra set of optics, you can still swap optics back and forth, but I think making two uppers is gonna save you a lot of time and frustration in the long run.

^^ this. even if you were to swap the barrel back and forth, you're still going to have to re-zero your optic every time you do so on the caliber switch.

if you wanna do on a budget right now, all you'll need is a upper and a handguard to get started. you should be able to share the BCG and chargingin handle, but again with the prices right now, might as well build a ready to go, swap two pins, type of upper.

even a nitrided BCG can be had for under $100

one thing to consider - black friday is coming shortly! i know that likely puts you past deer season, but if you need to go on the cheap this might be a way to do it.

if you cant wait, i'd suggest this - rebuild your current upper to 300 blk. then when black friday gets here order an upper receiver, bolt carrier group, charging handle, optic and handguard and rebuild your 223.

just something to consider.

+1 to that ^^^^^

I have many uppers and a few lowers. I set up my uppers for specific hunts, like my 6.5G for coyotes, my 17 Remington for fox/bobcat and then just swap them onto my lowers. That way you learn your trigger, and your optics stay mounted/zeroed on your uppers.

Swapping barrels back and forth sounds good, but it isn't.

been a while so here's an update. sold the 223 barrel and handguard. now I have just the .300 aac bk for deer hunting in late pistol season. got everthing tuned in and it's likes barnes 110 blk bullets at 2270 fps.
now all I will need is a deer to make a mistake and step out in front of my blind, 100 yd shot

Back