Tripod mount. Best for my set up ? Afford to only do this once.

NDAR15MAN

Folks. I have a TRICLAWPS RIfle vice that attaches to rifle. Then I am going to attach it to my BOG-POG tripod. I think this Bog-Pod and TRICLAWPS will support my rifle so I want to use what I have here. Do not want to buy another tripod or rifle vice even thou there might be better brands of ethier items but cost More. I want to use what I have.
Question....What would be the best the BALL HEAD that will fit on my Bog-Pod and Triclaw ? I will be mounting a 15 pound to 17 pound AR10 6.5 Creedmoor rifle on the Tripod andvTriclaw rifle vise. It is a Big gun. A beast.
The 15 pound to 17 pound AR10 includes the rifle ( 24 inch barrel ) mag loaded up and
big heavy scope. So looking for something that will support something heavy and NOT tip the whole thing over Just standing upright by itself , even in the wind.
What BALL Mount do I need that I can pan the rifle up and down side to side with what I have now ? I can only afford to do this once. My current little Vanguard GH-100 pistol grip ball mount will not work on this heavy weight rifle. Thanks. Marty

Last edited:
Check out B&H Photo, Camera land, and Adorama (they have a good used selection). There are too many ballhead options to list here.
I recommend that you look at the ones that are Arca Swiss compatible.
You're probably looking at a minimum of $75-$125 for an entry level ballhead.
Be sure to get one that is weight rated + for your rifle, but I'm not sure that the Bog Pod tripod that you have will be anywhere close to sturdy enough for what you are wanting to do. Your set up will only be as sturdy as the weakest link.
If you can afford it, get a SLIK Pro 700 tripod, I've used them and they are nice for the money ($100.00).
Also Night Goggles sells a decent entry level tripod/ballhead combo for $179.00. I've got one and I don't have any complaints.

Last edited:
1trkyhntr.... thanks for your help. I thought more people would give me help on this. I think you might be right on
the BOG-POD. Not sure what it is rated. Will also look at the ball head options. My AR10 6.5 creedmoor is a beast.
15 plus pounds for sure all ready to shoot. Any more ideas are welcome. Marty

There aren't many ball heads suitable for that much weight. Photographers usually run a gimble mount for a lens that heavy. There are a few though. But I don't think they'll work very well on that bog pod. I have a bog pod tripod, and I wouldn't dream of trying to use it as you intend.

Here is a ball head that I have, which supports my 15 pound rifles with ease, but on a tripod made to handle that kind of head and that kind of load.

Feisol 70mm ball head

That is dirt cheap for a decent quality 70mm ball head too, BTW.

You may want to consider a video fluid head. Or getting a tripod with a tilting/panning base and attaching your triclawps directly to it without a head in between.

Here's a 13lb rifle on a decent tripod with the head linked above. Using a triclawps too.

20160513_Chuck%20Hunt-60W.jpg

If I was going to use a rifle like that on a tripod more than once in a blue moon, I'd set it up with an arca swiss mount and do away with the triclawps.

- DAA

Photo guy here... not sure if rifle mounts will allow you to put the clamp on the side, or if you can move it around...I'm sure there's an adapter out there... but I use this technique describe in this vid, and it works awesome... poor man's gimbal:

Depending on your total budget for a heavy rated tripod & head setup you might look into this.

I run a ZRO Delta head on a Benro Mach 3 series tripod. The tripod will support 35 pounds,and only weighs around 6 lbs with the head attached. It can be used setting/kneeling/standing. The head rotates 360*,and can be locked in any shooting position.

I like this head better than any type of ball head,it just works better for me,and I like having picatinny rails instead of the arca swiss mounts.

This head isn't cheap,$445-but it's worth the price,I paid $185 for the tripod.

5nEbQRY.jpg

DwmB3Y9.jpg

crR21Z8.jpg

Originally Posted By: DesertRamI'm pretty much out of my league when it comes to tripods (they don't really suit my hunting style), but I wonder - have you read about the Night Stalker? It might be worth your time to talk with Tom about it and how it could work for you.

I used to be of the same opinion as DesertRam about tripods. I used the Stoney Point bipod sticks for a long time. But when Az started letting us hunt at night I found a serious drawback to the bipod sticks, no swivel for night scanning. I have been on the lookout for a good replacement. The Trigger sticks failed me, they wouldn't stay up. I also began shooting more and more video and found myself lugging my shooting sticks along with my tripod for my camera.

At this year's convention I took the opportunity to look at the tripods that Tom Austin and Night Goggles brought to the convention. WOW! They are impressive. So I pulled the trigger and bought the Night Stalker tripod. I got the opportunity last week and last weekend to try it out and again, WOW! Yes, they are a bit heavier than my sticks or other tripod, but then again add those two together and it's probably about the same. Smooth action, easy to swivel. Man, I cannot wait for night hunting season to get here. I am really looking forward to using it. And Tom was giving discounts to PM members.

Definitely worth emailing him and looking into them.

https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/night-...;v=7516fd43adaa

Mo

Back