Bushnell 6500 Elite?

My 6500 and my Trophy X30 are both 16 power. The Trophy cost way less than the 6500. I shot my rifle with the Trophy X30 on it today and the clarity is heads above the 6500 costing considerable more money. Clear crisp lines were easy to see at 100 yards with the Trophy X30. Something just doesn't seem right here. Not to happy. I think I'll yank the 6500 off and send it in and if I get it back soon I'll use it. If not, I'll just use a different rifle to hunt with.

Well I tried another phone call and got through this time. Of course, they haven't had any issues with the 6500 as its their top of the line scope. But send it in and they will check it out. Other than shipping cost, guess I've nothing to lose.

Last edited:
The 6500 is all that is left of their Elite line. The rest have been replaced by the "engage" series. From my initial hands on with a couple of them, I was not impressed. The price point on the 4500's was the best bang for your buck for a long time. The 4.5-14 legend ultra was a heck of a piece of glass for under $150. I got 4-5 of them when the were on clearance.
My 6500 3.5-21 is an outstanding piece of glass along with the Horus reticle.

Looks like the Engage is their cheapy's. Not bottom end but close to it. The Nitro look pretty good....on paper. Sure hope they don't try to replace it with their bottom end scopes. Ain't gonna happen!!

I've had two 6500s the 4.5-30x50mm was like everyone's complaint,its history . I still have the 2.5x16x50mm and its ok . In the distant past I had a couple of 4200s and they were significantly better.I know longer buy Bushnell stuff either.

So, if they offer a replacement what do I accept? Sure don't want a lessor quality/value scope. The 6500 isn't a cheap optic.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogSo, if they offer a replacement what do I accept? Sure don't want a lessor quality/value scope. The 6500 isn't a cheap optic.

That's what I finally did, Bill. Had to demand it even. Dont worry too much about your replacement being of lower quality. BSA might have a 6500 beat.

The 6500 is not a cheap scope in price. However in quality it leaves much to be desired. Be OK for cracking pecans with I suppose.

Mine wasn't terrible, but I have two lessor, way lessor, quality Bushnells that are heads above in clarity. That's what made me decide to go ahead and send it in.

Last edited:
Just recently I bought a Burris Verosity for my 204. I couldn't get it focused with the side focus so I called Burris. Da, getting old and all that was wrong was I didn't adjust the eyepiece focus ring.

Well, not my first rodeo. I tried adjusting the eye piece focus ring and it still never cleared the scope up. I'm basing the clarity of the 6500 compared to the two Trophy X-30's I have which are very clear and bright and there is night and day difference between them. Just thought the 6500 should be at least as clear as the two cheaper scopes but its not at all.

Well,after a 15 minute wait on eternal hold,I got a call into the repair center. Seems they received my scope on 10-5-18 and a tech has yet to be assigned to it. Maybe in the next couple of days. So much for their 2 week turn around I was told. Guess my 280AI won't see the deer woods this season unless something happens pretty quick. A little bit disappointed in Bushnell right now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodog5 more days have passed.........no scope, no word on whats going on. Guess I bought the last Bushnell that I will ever own.

Sorry dude. It was their terrible customer service that made me decide to never own another Bushnell product too. I will keep the fine 3200 and 4200 scopes that I own now but will buy no more.

I just had great customer service from Bushnell. I had a 30 year old 12x-32x, Nitrogen leaked out. They could not repair the scope, and offered me a scope that sells for $650 with Optics Planet.

The issue on those 2-16's is that when the range is that large, I think that quality gets sacrificed, same thing on the next step up, 3-30 or something like that. Image was a tad hazy around the edges. Scopes that offer that kind of range now are ungodly expensive.

Those scopes that I had were OK for hunting, but image quality was not on par with the same in 4200's in 4x16 and 8-32x.

I think that the issue is that Bushnell was trying to keep the price point in a range where the average guy could buy the scope, and when they got clear optics in those ranges with that multiplier, the price point went way beyond what people could buy. The multiplier killed the Optical Clarity we were used to in the Bushnell 4200's. It was an experiment in the industry for Bushnell, and they learned that it would not work as Bushnell customers were used to supurb optical quality for the price point.

I sold both of mine to deer hunters and they could not be happier, but all the Fuzz just drove me crazy shooting at targets at 300 and 400.

The 4.5-27 Forge model that I have now is exceptionally clear, better than the old 4200's.

I got an email today. Bushnell is replacing my 6500 with a new Forge 2.5-15x50. Its a $900 MSRP scope. I'm happy again!!
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Back