Getting the itch...how soon??

wherdog

Really wanting to get out soon. How much longer until furs are ready to sell? I am in Northern SD. Last year my buyer started taking them by Oct. 18th.

Sounds like your buyer doesn't want anything before Oct 17. Last week in Montana(2800' elevation) the coyote looked "flat" not much guard hair,especially the pups.

I'm hoping to get out as soon as some fields open up. Rain is holding the farmers out of the fields unfortunately. I'd like to have a few days afield before I go in for surgery on the 26th but it's not looking too promising.

Originally Posted By: xj-jakeI'm hoping to get out as soon as some fields open up. Rain is holding the farmers out of the fields unfortunately. I'd like to have a few days afield before I go in for surgery on the 26th but it's not looking too promising.

I hear ya. We were on pace to be done harvesting here in about 10 days. The rain the last week and a half put a quick hold on that. We did get quite a few bean fields opened up and were just getting started with corn. Supposed to have some snow overnight into tomorrow.

I am waiting till the end of October up here in west central Saskatchewan. The leather will most likely be a bit blue yet but close enough.

Fields have started to open up and a weather change later this week is gonna get me out. One or two warm days then cooler again. Hopefully I'll have a empty corn field, if not it'll be partial right next to a couple hundred acres of cat tails and woods. I'm ready! Gotta get out this weekend, carpal tunnel surgery takes me out of the game for a little bit next Friday.

A couple weeks ago one of the local radio stations played an interview with the guy from Petska fur. If I remember right his estimate that everything north of I94 would be primed up by oct 15th with the stuff south of 94 being about a week behind. Who knows how accurate that will be... Looks like its time for me to get some rifles sighted in and start calling. I did talk to one gentleman who claims they harvested a yote during the youth rifle season here in ND which was the middle of september. Said it was definitely blue, but the guard hairs looked good on it. He says he got $65 for it.

Last edited:
That's usually about right. I picked up a very large trash panda today that is about a week from full prime. My dad does a lot of trapping o ally and says the fur market is soft. If your friend is getting that money for a blue pelt I may need to make a drive. Rats are bringing three bucks and coon around ten.

I have gotten out to make a stand each of the last few nights. I missed on my first two stands. Then sighted in the XP50 again. Got out and couldn't get a shot off at a couple last night (they stayed behind the hill and I couldn't get a decent body shot). I did call in one tonight and got her. She was decent color, hair was thick, but guard hairs not real long. I put her in the freezer. It is officially on for me!

Nice work! I managed to get out Saturday for a quick sit and call. Got screwed on both stands. First one my dad came driving up in his truck to trim trees and place a deer stand. The second one had 2 combines one grain cart and 3 semis hauling beans. Oh well, 3 days til surgery, I still have time.

Back