6mmDTI Build Advice

sawacs

New member here from Texas: howdy!
thumbup.gif

I am a huge 6.8 fan and decided it was time to build another AR.

My two braincells are trying to spec out a 6mm DTI upper and I would appreciate any advice/feedback you guys could offer.

Here are the specs so far:

-Usage will be for 100 to 200 yard paper punching at the range with some varmint, deer, and hog hunting thrown in.
-22" 1/10 twist fluted medium contour 6mm DTI barrel threaded for suppressor use
-SLR upper receiver
-SLR gas block
-Dtech float tube
-Dtec bolt
-Young chrome carrier

Do you guys think the 1/10 twist barrel would cover 55's on up to 95's or should I stick with a 1/12 twist barrel? Also, I have considered a 24" barrel but am a little worried about hanging a suppressor on the end of a long arse barrel
unsure.gif

Advice would be most appreciated!

Shawn

Last edited:
I see you mention SLR, pretty fancy upper. SLR does make the best click adjust gas block I have ever used. I would want that over the non adjust Dtech one. I also like using midwest industries handguards.

why not just go 243 WSSM?? I have a 6DTI and have been just getting used to it. mine is a 12 twist as I only want to shoot lighter bullets. I think its good up to about 85 grains at least on the twist. oh lastly, have Dtech supply the bolt, I have had some wonkyness with my 6.8 bolt in particular the extractor. its still rougher on the brass than I would like to see. Not Dtech's fault. if doing it again I would have them supply the bolt, and I would probably get a RRA chrome BCG. Even though you can't buy just the carrier to my knowledge. I wouldn't care, its way better than my nickel boron bolt that cleans no better than a plain one. I just haven't shot enough things to know how I like the 6DTI.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettI see you mention SLR, pretty fancy upper. SLR does make the best click adjust gas block I have ever used. I would want that over the non adjust Dtech one. I also like using midwest industries handguards.

why not just go 243 WSSM?? I have a 6DTI and have been just getting used to it. mine is a 12 twist as I only want to shoot lighter bullets. I think its good up to about 85 grains at least on the twist. oh lastly, have Dtech supply the bolt, I have had some wonkyness with my 6.8 bolt in particular the extractor. its still rougher on the brass than I would like to see. Not Dtech's fault. if doing it again I would have them supply the bolt, and I would probably get a RRA chrome BCG. Even though you can't buy just the carrier to my knowledge. I wouldn't care, its way better than my nickel boron bolt that cleans no better than a plain one. I just haven't shot enough things to know how I like the 6DTI.

Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure why I listed a Dtec gas block instead of the SLR. I have 4 SLR adjustable blocks and have never had a single problem: they are great! When running suppressed, I always use an adjustable block.

Regarding the 243WSSM, I already have a 6mm Predator barrel from ARP and to be honest, I have never really cared about running a 243WSSM in an AR platform.

When I began thinking about building another 6mm upper, the 6x6.8 was #1 on the list until I found out the 6x6.8 was not available through Dtech and Dtech was #1 on the list for uppers. Considering the fact that I am already heavily invested in the 6.8, the 6mmDTI became a logical choice since I already have plenty of brass along with bolts and carriers.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have a 6DTI with 1:10 twist 22" light contour fluted barrel. It shoots 58gr Vmax and 55gr NBT-LF fantastic. Would a 1:12 do it better?
crazy.gif

37333824946_c38ac23623_c.jpg

36969229341_abf6060495_c.jpg

36275400554_9260b00fa7_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI have a 6DTI with 1:10 twist 22" light contour fluted barrel. It shoots 58gr Vmax and 55gr NBT-LF fantastic. Would a 1:12 do it better?
crazy.gif

37333824946_c38ac23623_c.jpg

36969229341_abf6060495_c.jpg

36275400554_9260b00fa7_c.jpg
love that handgaurd, what make is it?

a couple other things there is another builder on here that pushes the 6x6.8 on here. while I don't know if its intentional but it suggests that somehow the 6DTI isn't as easy of a process. YES the case forms slightly and I do mean slightly. You have to look at the cases very closely to see any differences. I have been unable to see ANY difference in speed, accuracy. or anything firing new vs reloaded fired cases. I have tried loading both and testing them to see if I can find a difference. I simply can't. so I say forget about the 6x6.8. the 6DTI does the same exact thing. its one pass through a 6DTI die and viola you are ready to rock. I have been using S&B brass which has been pretty good.

lastly I recommend PRI mags. the ASC I bought are junk and don't actually hold the case as long as they claim. The PRI I really can't imagine being any better made for a metal mag. They also accept loading your cases way out there.

New to the forum but i have been extremely interested in this cartridge also. I'm looking forward to the responses and how your build comes

Thanks for the information gents.

The 1/10 twist barrel sounds like the way to go!

Here are a few pics of the 20" ARP 6mm Predator I built last winter. Hopefully, I can get out to the range and finally test fire it.

Btw, beautiful build DirtyDog… Apparently, it shoots as good as it looks!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Placed the order for the 22" medium contour 1/10 twist barrel with a threaded muzzle along with a set of dies to get started on loading.

The only bullets for 6mm I have on hand are 95 smk's which are probably too heavy for the 6DTI.

I know the 58 Vmax bullet looks like a good place to start and was wondering if there were any other heavier bullets that would be a good fit for the 6DTI? Maybe something in the 65 to 85 range for paper punching?

Thanks

I'm shooting the 70gr Nosler BT for hunting and it's the hammer of Thor on coyotes. I was testing 58s yesterday and while they shot good the 70s just stand out. I have about a dozen kills with the 70s and probably 30 kills with the 58s (out of my old 6x6.8). The 70s out to 500 yards only drop 2" more than the 58s so the added knock down power is the way I went

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243I'm shooting the 70gr Nosler BT for hunting and it's the hammer of Thor on coyotes. I was testing 58s yesterday and while they shot good the 70s just stand out. I have about a dozen kills with the 70s and probably 30 kills with the 58s (out of my old 6x6.8). The 70s out to 500 yards only drop 2" more than the 58s so the added knock down power is the way I went

Thank you for the bullet info. I'll give the 70 BT's and 70 FB's a try and go from there.

Last edited:
Never had an exit. But I dont have a large number of kills and all have been inside 250yards. It reminds me of my old 6x284 slinging 107SMK hitting them. Maybe at longer distances where they are slowed down. I'm going to shoot a doe or two this year with them as well. I think they will do well on deer at the 3250fps speed. Im not saying shoot them over the lighter faster bullets. Just that they work for me and the added BC makes up the speed difference

I shoot the 70's out of my 243 and they are not very fur friendly. But they are moving around 3500, so the added velocity could have some effect.

Btw, the bullets I am looking for are not so much for Coyote exploding but rather accuracy on paper at 100 and 200 yards for now.

I ordered some Hornady 58 and 75 Vmax's along with the Barnes 68gr FB Match Burners to get started: good times!

Last edited:
I am running a 20' 1:12 twist(suppressed) match grade (not select match), last year I shot 70 gr Nosler, this year I had a little more time to work on loads. I plan to run 75 gr v max, CCI BR4 primers, S&B brass, 29.4 gr of AR Comp, 3135 ft/sec, so far my best 200 yard groups are a 3 shot group that measures .510" and a 5 shot group that measures .645". Typically if I do my part it is right around an inch @ 200 yards, running a 30X Sightron scope. I have not seen a barrel, upper, or gun come from D Tech that is not laser accurate, I sure have wasted money on other brands that are not accurate.

Originally Posted By: RoscoehdI am running a 20' 1:12 twist(suppressed) match grade (not select match), last year I shot 70 gr Nosler, this year I had a little more time to work on loads. I plan to run 75 gr v max, CCI BR4 primers, S&B brass, 29.4 gr of AR Comp, 3135 ft/sec, so far my best 200 yard groups are a 3 shot group that measures .510" and a 5 shot group that measures .645". Typically if I do my part it is right around an inch @ 200 yards, running a 30X Sightron scope. I have not seen a barrel, upper, or gun come from D Tech that is not laser accurate, I sure have wasted money on other brands that are not accurate.

Where are you finding the S&B brass? There was one place that carried the primed variant of the S&B brass but they were out of stock: non-primed is preferred.

Since I am not overly concerned with case capacity, I went ahead and ordered 250 Starline cases.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back