Question about lite AR's

why

For you guys that have lite weight ar's did you find that you had to give up much accuracy over a heavier gun. I would like a 5-6 lb gun that will still shoot 1 moa, am I dreaming.

I just built a light weight AR and gave up zero accuracy with it. Even with factory ammo I am less than moa with it even with a 14" barrel. Not sure what the gun weighs but it's fun to shoot.

I have a couple light weight ones and did not give up accuracy, not as light as you are trying to get. With good parts you should easily get 1 MOA or better. Of course to get the weight you want may require different optics. Not sure a scope will get you there. Using something like a red dot or halographic could affect how good YOU can shoot it. My lightest is 7 lbs 9 oz with Odin works 16" light barrel, ultra light handguard using an Eotech with 3x magnifier.

"Lightweight" is a relative term, depends on who you ask. Sub 6.5 lbs. scoped and loaded is what I would classify as lightweight. A sub 6lb. AR (scoped and loaded) is going to cost you quite a bit as it will need several titanium parts. You'll definitely give up accuracy after the first three shots since it'l have a pencil barrel on it.

Tally up the build cost of this one, best example i've seen on PM.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2867781

Originally Posted By: reb8600ultra light handguard

Which one are you using? I think I could shave A LOT of weight off my AR just by changing out the handguard.

I guess I should have been more clear. I am talking about just the gun weight not optics and other add-ons. This would be for those hunts where I be doing a lot of walking and not for long range or long strings of shots.

Believe it or not, NOTHING is not cheap. The lighter you go the more you spend. There are a number of ways to lighten an AR. The AR that we built for the PM convention raffle weighed in at 7lbs empty. Much past that and you better have your wallet ready.

The best ways to lighten the barrel is to go with a barrel like proof research, but you're looking at well over $500 just for the barrel. You could also find a good quality fluted barrel. Not a big gain in weight savings but, done properly, you don't sacrifice accuracy like you can for some pencil profile barrels. Faxon firearms has some nice fluted and pencil profiles, so does Wilson and Shilen.

Be careful with hand guards. A lot of the weight in those has to do with the barrel nut.

On the lower, you could go with a minimalist style of stock, such as a foot that mounts directly to the buffer tube, skeletonized lower, grip, or even a polymer lower.

I have a couple of rockriver 223's, they shoot great and are not to heavy. But I built a gredel with a christensen fiber barrel, it is really really light and accurate and a nice shooter.

I have a Plum Crazy with a pencil barrel. I use a 5 round magazine.
It shoot okay at 100-150 yds might not hit everything but it scares them. LOL

Back