Scope rings - to lap or not to lap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonester

Howdy,

I am looking for opinions/advice on a matter. It is necessary to lap scope rings? I assume that some rings may need it. I also wonder if this is not necessary given current technology and the brands you purchase may not require it. I recently watched a video about lapping scope rings but it was an older rifle with an older scope.

All info is welcome.

Thanks,

TC

I have never lapped a set of scope rings or had anyone else do it. I've had cheap scopes and cheap rings that fit great and shot just fine.

I've never done it and never had a problem. That said, I'm not saying don't do it.

Always use high quality mounts, all mine are Larue or Talley. Talley had told me once that since they're CNC machined they don't need to be lapped. If I was building a super high precision rig with a very expensive optic i'd probably do it or have it done just for piece of mine and covering my [beeep] with the manufacturer.

Oh boy, here we go again. If you search here it has been argued before.

Yes, most rings are not lapped before a scope goes on. Most scopes get ring marks gouged into them. If you have a gun shop that sells used scopes, take a look at them.

You can buy the most precision made scope rings money can buy, but when you mount those rings on an action where the surfaces are not in perfect alignment with each other, or the mounting holes are not drilled and tapped properly, then the rings aren't in alignment. It's that simple. Mounting a scope in rings that are not in alignment not only can gouge ring marks in it, it can stress the tube if alignment is off enough.

It doesn't take much to lap rings, I can't imagine spending over $1K for a scope, which isn't hard now days, and not lap the rings.

I have mostly used rings with self aligning inserts for a long time now. But I have never mounted a scope in plain rings without lapping them first. That's after using the alignment rods from Brownells to mount them.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: StobOh boy, here we go again. If you search here it has been argued before.

Yes, most rings are not lapped before a scope goes on. Most scopes get ring marks gouged into them. If you have a gun shop that sells used scopes, take a look at them.

You can buy the most precision made scope rings money can buy, but when you mount those rings on an action where the surfaces are not in perfect alignment with each other, or the mounting holes are not drilled and tapped properly, then the rings aren't in alignment. It's that simple. Mounting a scope in rings that are not in alignment not only can gouge ring marks in it, it can stress the tube if alignment is off enough.

It doesn't take much to lap rings, I can't imagine spending over $1K for a scope, which isn't hard now days, and not lap the rings. one of the few here that actually knows what he is talking about...im in this camp...

Originally Posted By: StobIt doesn't take much to lap rings, I can't imagine spending over $1K for a scope, which isn't hard now days, and not lap the rings.

Maybe you’ve never owned a good base and rings?

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: StobIt doesn't take much to lap rings, I can't imagine spending over $1K for a scope, which isn't hard now days, and not lap the rings.

Maybe you’ve never owned a good base and rings? you can buy the absolute best base and rings money can buy, but if your receiver holes are not straight with the barrel, ur SOL.

Stob is spot on with his response. Like i said, one of the few...very very few that knows what he is talking about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: StobIt doesn't take much to lap rings, I can't imagine spending over $1K for a scope, which isn't hard now days, and not lap the rings.

Maybe you’ve never owned a good base and rings? you can buy the absolute best base and rings money can buy, but if your receiver holes are not straight with the barrel, ur SOL.

Stob is spot on with his response. Like i said, one of the few...very very few that knows what he is talking about.

What rings and bases have you used that caused a misalignment of a scope because of receiver holes that were not straight with the barrel?
Did lapping the rings correct the misalignment of the receiver holes and the bore?

The rings and bases normally dont cause the misalignment. Ive had one Rem 700 LVSF and one Saveage model 10 that had probelms. The 700 had front base holes that were misaligned and I wasn't able to keep the turrets on the scope centered very well so I lapped the Rings and then bedded them with bedding compound and was able to get the scope turrets more centered. The Savage had a problem with the distance of base height so I had to shim the scope base and also lap the Rings to help correct a small amount of horizontal distance that was off centered.

The easiest way to combat this problem is to just go with Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. Though im not a big fan of them as far as looks go, they do an amazing job of allowing one to correct any misalignment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456The rings and bases normally dont cause the misalignment. Ive had one Rem 700 LVSF and one Saveage model 10 that had probelms. The 700 had front base holes that were misaligned and I wasn't able to keep the turrets on the scope centered very well so I lapped the Rings and then bedded them with bedding compound and was able to get the scope turrets more centered. The Savage had a problem with the distance of base height so I had to shim the scope base and also lap the Rings to help correct a small amount of horizontal distance that was off centered.

The easiest way to combat this problem is to just go with Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. Though im not a big fan of them as far as looks go, they do an amazing job of allowing one to correct any misalignment.

Why the heck did you patch up junk like that instead of getting the problem fixed?

Originally Posted By: fw707Quote:Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456The rings and bases normally dont cause the misalignment. Ive had one Rem 700 LVSF and one Saveage model 10 that had probelms. The 700 had front base holes that were misaligned and I wasn't able to keep the turrets on the scope centered very well so I lapped the Rings and then bedded them with bedding compound and was able to get the scope turrets more centered. The Savage had a problem with the distance of base height so I had to shim the scope base and also lap the Rings to help correct a small amount of horizontal distance that was off centered.

Why the heck did you patch up junk like that instead of getting the problem fixed? Well, on the Rem there really wasnt much I could do without alot of work. My 2 options were to have the holes welded closed then try to have them drilled again...hopefully straight. Or lap and bed the rings like i chose to do. The savage wasnt off too bad on horizontal, mainly just the vertical. But truthfully, its not uncommom to find a receiver that is off a several thousandths and need shimmed to help keep the turrets in center. On the Rem 700 i just couldnt justify spending that much money to correct this mistake. The gun was already out of production when i was dealing with this so i chose not to handle it with remington out of fear that they may not send that gun back. I was affraid to get some replacement that wouldnt be equal to the LVSF.

Looking back i should have at least contacted them to see what they would say, but normally my dealings with remington have always been answered by them saying "Send it in and we will take a look at it" rather than them committing to a solution over the phone. I just didnt want to chance it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Quote:Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456The rings and bases normally dont cause the misalignment. Ive had one Rem 700 LVSF and one Saveage model 10 that had probelms. The 700 had front base holes that were misaligned and I wasn't able to keep the turrets on the scope centered very well so I lapped the Rings and then bedded them with bedding compound and was able to get the scope turrets more centered. The Savage had a problem with the distance of base height so I had to shim the scope base and also lap the Rings to help correct a small amount of horizontal distance that was off centered.

Why the heck did you patch up junk like that instead of getting the problem fixed? Well, on the Rem there really wasnt much I could do without alot of work. My 2 options were to have the holes welded closed then try to have them drilled again...hopefully straight. Or lap and bed the rings like i chose to do. The savage wasnt off too bad on horizontal, mainly just the vertical. But truthfully, its not uncommom to find a receiver that is off a several thousandths and need shimmed to help keep the turrets in center. On the Rem 700 i just couldnt justify spending that much money to correct this mistake. The gun was already out of production when i was dealing with this so i chose not to handle it with remington out of fear that they may not send that gun back. I was affraid to get some replacement that wouldnt be equal to the LVSF.

Looking back i should have at least contacted them to see what they would say, but normally my dealings with remington have always been answered by them saying "Send it in and we will take a look at it" rather than them committing to a solution over the phone. I just didnt want to chance it.

How did you determine the misalignment, and the amount of misalignment?

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Quote:Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456The rings and bases normally dont cause the misalignment. Ive had one Rem 700 LVSF and one Saveage model 10 that had probelms. The 700 had front base holes that were misaligned and I wasn't able to keep the turrets on the scope centered very well so I lapped the Rings and then bedded them with bedding compound and was able to get the scope turrets more centered. The Savage had a problem with the distance of base height so I had to shim the scope base and also lap the Rings to help correct a small amount of horizontal distance that was off centered.

How did you determine the misalignment, and the amount of misalignment? kind of a trial and error. Along with discussing the problem with a fellow benchrest shooter. The problem first came to light when i mounted a scope for load development. It was a Weaver 36x and i was not able to get within 14" of center (needing more left adjustment). On the Savage it was a similar situation in the fact that i ran out of vertical and couldnt get the gun to sight in at 100 yards. It ended up needing .023" shim under the front base to correct it and get it back close to center. Of course, thru this whole time, i was trying different brand bases to see if it would help to no avail.

In the end, i had that benchrest shooter/gunsmith friend of mine put the actions in his mill and we ran some points of refernce to verify that indeed the holes were off on the Rem. And similar test for the Savage

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Quote:Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456The rings and bases normally dont cause the misalignment. Ive had one Rem 700 LVSF and one Saveage model 10 that had probelms. The 700 had front base holes that were misaligned and I wasn't able to keep the turrets on the scope centered very well so I lapped the Rings and then bedded them with bedding compound and was able to get the scope turrets more centered. The Savage had a problem with the distance of base height so I had to shim the scope base and also lap the Rings to help correct a small amount of horizontal distance that was off centered.

How did you determine the misalignment, and the amount of misalignment? kind of a trial and error. Along with discussing the problem with a fellow benchrest shooter. The problem first came to light when i mounted a scope for load development. It was a Weaver 36x and i was not able to get within 14" of center (needing more left adjustment). On the Savage it was a similar situation in the fact that i ran out of vertical and couldnt get the gun to sight in at 100 yards. It ended up needing .023" shim under the front base to correct it and get it back close to center. Of course, thru this whole time, i was trying different brand bases to see if it would help to no avail.

In the end, i had that benchrest shooter/gunsmith friend of mine put the actions in his mill and we ran some points of refernce to verify that indeed the holes were off on the Rem. And similar test for the Savage

Gotcha.
So why the heck did you keep junk like that, and go to all of the time and effort to fix it?
And still end up with junk?

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Quote:Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456The rings and bases normally dont cause the misalignment. Ive had one Rem 700 LVSF and one Saveage model 10 that had probelms. The 700 had front base holes that were misaligned and I wasn't able to keep the turrets on the scope centered very well so I lapped the Rings and then bedded them with bedding compound and was able to get the scope turrets more centered. The Savage had a problem with the distance of base height so I had to shim the scope base and also lap the Rings to help correct a small amount of horizontal distance that was off centered.

Gotcha.
So why the heck did you keep junk like that, and go to all of the time and effort to fix it?
And still end up with junk? to each his own, but i love the Rem LVSF series of rifles and the Savage...well its like most savages i have....they just shoot.

Heck if i cast away every rifle ive ever owned that needed a little tlc, id be gunless. All of mine get a touch here and there to suit me. I even have my Jewel triggers blue printed. Only thing i havent had to work on yet is my Bix & Andy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Quote:Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456The rings and bases normally dont cause the misalignment. Ive had one Rem 700 LVSF and one Saveage model 10 that had probelms. The 700 had front base holes that were misaligned and I wasn't able to keep the turrets on the scope centered very well so I lapped the Rings and then bedded them with bedding compound and was able to get the scope turrets more centered. The Savage had a problem with the distance of base height so I had to shim the scope base and also lap the Rings to help correct a small amount of horizontal distance that was off centered.

Gotcha.
And still end up with junk? to each his own, but i love the Rem LVSF series of rifles and the Savage...well its like most savages i have....they just shoot.

Heck if i cast away every rifle ive ever owned that needed a little tlc, id be gunless. All of mine get a touch here and there to suit me. I even have my Jewel triggers blue printed. Only thing i havent had to work on yet is my Bix & Andy.

Well have fun with that.
I stopped patching up junk years ago.
I have more time for shooting now.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Quote:Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456The rings and bases normally dont cause the misalignment. Ive had one Rem 700 LVSF and one Saveage model 10 that had probelms. The 700 had front base holes that were misaligned and I wasn't able to keep the turrets on the scope centered very well so I lapped the Rings and then bedded them with bedding compound and was able to get the scope turrets more centered. The Savage had a problem with the distance of base height so I had to shim the scope base and also lap the Rings to help correct a small amount of horizontal distance that was off centered.

Gotcha.

Well have fun with that.
grin.gif
GFY
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:

Well have fun with that.
grin.gif
[/quote] GFY
thumbup1.gif
[/quote]

Good response!

I didn't mention bedding rings in my first post, thought it would have not been received well. Fact is, bedding rings is an excellent way to get a 100% contact between rings and scope.

I bought a pair of Ruger rings for my Redhawk years ago, and I've never seen such a poorly made set of rings. The inside contact area was VERY rough. So I bedded them. Quite simple really. Just put a coat of shoe polish on your scope, and screw holes, two coats won't hurt. Go to the local hardware store and get JB Weld. Mix it up, spread it evenly on the inside of the rings, set the scope and top half of the rings in, and let it set up. Make sure there is a gap between the bottom and top of the rings. That can be another issue where rings close against one another and not on the scope.

Burris rings with inserts are the bees knees, hard to beat!

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: fw707Quote:Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456The rings and bases normally dont cause the misalignment. Ive had one Rem 700 LVSF and one Saveage model 10 that had probelms. The 700 had front base holes that were misaligned and I wasn't able to keep the turrets on the scope centered very well so I lapped the Rings and then bedded them with bedding compound and was able to get the scope turrets more centered. The Savage had a problem with the distance of base height so I had to shim the scope base and also lap the Rings to help correct a small amount of horizontal distance that was off centered.

Gotcha.

Well have fun with that.
grin.gif
GFY
thumbup1.gif

I’m an older person and I don’t understand all the internet lingo.
What does “GFY” mean? Google is your friend my elder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back