6x6.8, 80gr TTSX

Houser in NC

I'm enjoying my 6x6.8 barrel from Rich and have already taken a few varmints with it. So far the only loads I've developed for it is the 55gr NBT and 70gr TNT. The 55gr is very accurate/ deadly on coyotes and ground hogs. I haven't taken any animals with the TNT yet but it's also very accurate.

Since putting the 6x6.8 together I always have it with me in the truck when checking the pastures and cows just in case I run across a coyote or groundhog. Now that deer season is just around the corner and I would like to keep the 6x6.8 loaded with a bullet suitable for coyotes and deer.

I have researched a lot of suitable 6mm bullets for deer with the 85gr SGK being mentioned the most. The only issue I've seen mentioned about them is with the bullet not always passing through. Complete penetration with a good blood trail is what I'm looking for.

That brings me to the 80gr TTSX. I've always had a complete pass through when using the 95gr TTSX in my 6.8 SPC and have never lost a deer when using them. I figured the 6mm 80gr TTSX would offer the same results.

I have some ordered and will start loading this week. Anyone have any accurate 6x6.8, 80gr TTSX loads, kills or any info that they would like to share?

Thanks

Last edited:
I never had any luck with the 80gr ttsx in my 6x6.8. So I'd be interested to hear if anyone has a good load too. I love the ttsx bullets in all my other big game calibers and would love a good load so I can have a good deer antelope 6x6.8 round.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG28gr 8208 XBR should put you between 2900-3000 fps depending on barrel length.

Thanks for the info. My barrel is 18", I might be able to get to 2900.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettThose Barnes are longer because they are all copper I would think that would be a bad thing when limited to mag length

I got my 80gr TTSX bullets yesterday and you're right, they are long. Using the Hornady gauge,they contact the lands at 2.273". My ASC mags will allow seating out to 2.295" OAL so the cartridge OAL will not be a magazine issue.

I have a bunch of 90gr accubonds that shoot very nice. I have not shot a deer with them yet but hogs don't go anywhere when hit

Originally Posted By: FirehandI have a bunch of 90gr accubonds that shoot very nice. I have not shot a deer with them yet but hogs don't go anywhere when hit

Thanks. I also have some 90gr AB to try if I need to. I got them to try in my Model 7 6mm Remington. I'm hoping to gain some FPS by using the lighter 80gr bullet.

85 sierra with 8208 is a one hole group for me also... matter of fact that combo just might be my most accurate load so far...gotta love the 6x68.. hard to find a load that does not shoot well.

I do not have a 6-6.8 but my 2 6x45's love 80 gr. NBT with 8208. I've killed to many hogs to count with the combination and my son shot his first deer with it last year haven't had any issues.

Back