AR 15 charging handle

newmexkid

Finally got everything setup on my new, (only) AR DPMS. Now, I come to realize that the charging handle is tough to reach. Can't imagine how I could reach it with gloves on if needed. Played around with the scope positioning but, nothing came out of that. Can I get a charging handle that is wider for easier gripping? Where? Found a couple on the Internet but, I'm hoping to get some advice from first hand experience. Thanks

Last edited:

Charging handles

Cheap than Dirt
MidwayUSA
Joe Bob's
Sportsman's guide

I bought a nice Stoner AR upper side charger from MidwayUSA.

Get the extended tac latch and change the one on yours. You can pull it back with one hand and dont need to reach under the scope to grab both sides.

I'm a big fan of the VLTOR Gunfighter charging handle. The Mod 4 (medium) is the perfect length to get around the scope, without snagging on everything. Unfortunately, I think they were discontinued - the only ones I've seen lately are the ambidextrous models, and they only seem to be in stock occasionally.

the problem with all the fancy whiz bang charging handles is they dig into your back when slingged. they are also just not needed. just grab your charging handle with your left thumb and index finger. the index finger triggers the latch as it pulls back. totally absolutely no need for the fancy whiz bang charging handles they are big bulky and get in the way. Split finger charge is for when the guns had a2 uppers with built in sights.

Last edited:
Yeah, they don't even train to do the split fingers at CATM anymore. Off hand index finger infant and thumb behind...easy peasy.

You also want to be careful with how you pull those giant charging handles. We delivered a brand new rifle to a gun store configured with a BIG charging handle. The rifle tested fine. But two days later we get a call that the rifle is "jammed." Run out to the gun store and find that the charging handle is BENT in an upward angle and has bound the carrier key. Some wanna be tacticool Teddy did the cool guy split finger yank on it but instead of staying inline with the handle they were pulling it up from above the rail.

I saw one guy that had installed a different butt stock that interfered with the charging handle and bent it and was causing his bcg to jam up while cycling. Took a file to the buttstock and made a relief cut to allow for charging handle clearance and, presto, gun cycles fine.

I have NOTHING against the larger tac handles. I have a couple. But like anything, you have to use them correctly.

Back