Model 59 Winchester for coyotes

Heymartay

I have and old model59 that has a polychoke on it . Was wondering if I could or should put some hevi shot 2/34 bbs through it. The polychoke has imp mod through x-full would it damage anything . Thanks

Originally Posted By: 2milehighguyIf the barrel says ‘Win lite’ , I think they were made partially of wound fiberglass!

Yes, and they are also known for cracked receivers.

Originally Posted By: HeymartayThe polychoke has imp mod through x-full

Are you saying the choke is adjustable from improved modified to extra full, or are you saying it has adjustments from improved cylinder, to modified, and to a maximum constriction of extra full?

Last edited:
It turns back and forth with detents at the different chokes. Has slug option also. It's a steel sleeved fiberglass barrel which makes it light. Yea, also and aluminum receiver . My dad bought it new in the early sixties which makes old but still a modern gun . Pretty sure poly -chokes are still made.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. My dad took a liking to these for their aforementioned light weight. Have four in the stable. I cut my teeth bird hunting and shooting clays with model 59's and have an affinity for them. Although the 59 in question had seen cases of rounds since I had it, on one particular occasion shooting Hi-Power bird loads the stock separated from the receiver exposing the "buffer arm?," which runs down into the stock. There's really not a lot holding the receiver end of the stock into the receiver, as the "buffer arm" is fairly large relative to the point where the stock and receiver meet. Never shot Hevi-shot, but imagine it's pretty potent relative to what the 59 was intended for. Heck even just those short years ago I bet they didn't imagine the advances we'd have with powder and shot and tungsten and this and that and the other. Model 59s were ahead of their time, though. I'd preserve it...and dump 7andaHalf and 8's through it.

Originally Posted By: 2milehighguyIf the barrel says ‘Win lite’ , I think they were made partially of wound fiberglass!

Over 500 miles of fiber thread!

Really want to use it cause of the poly choke .Was gonna use 23/4 hevi shot bb's, isn't the hevi shot easier on barrels than steel . My mossy 835 pump has a tendency to eat my sleeve and screw up any follow ups. Been running ar's so I'm really used to semi autos . Thanks for the input. I'd bet it prolly doesn't have 300 rounds through it.

They were made of fiberglass with a thin liner.

How did they mount a PollyChoke on that barrel? They certainly did not solder it on. Could it be glued on?

Could the barrel have been replaced with a Winchester Model 50 barrel? I think I remember reading that the Model 50 and Model 59 receivers were the same.

Back