Anyone use Electronic Ear Muffs for hunting?

bowhunter57

I've been reading a lot of reviews on the Walker's Electronic Muffs (Ultimate, Razor Slim, Quad Series). There are several different models and then there are Peltor, Howard Leight and many more.

My main interest in their application is for bow hunting, to have advanced notice of an approaching animal. I'm sure if I purchased a pair, that I'd use them for coyote hunting with my shotgun and/or rifle too.

Do any of you use them for amplified hearing?
What's your opinion? Are they worth using or not?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Several years ago I tried some when hunting with a 44 mag revolver, when I turned them on (it was windy)it sounded like the forest was coming down on me. I ended up selling that gun and went back to a rifle. JMO

I always wear my Peltor muffs for hunting everything with a firearm. Well for the last 35 years at least. I've never seen a down side except they are hot for dove hunting. They keep you ears warm in the winter. I just don't hunt without them.
MasterBlaster

IMG-2194.jpg

I have the Peltor Sport Tactical and I like them. I don't wear them all the time when I am hunting, but I should. These have external battery compartments, so you don't have to gut the foam ear pocket to change batteries. They also come with both blaze orange and black covers. I got the silicone comfort gel pads for mine too. They were expensive, $40.00 or so, but they are very comfortable and make a better seal on your head. The sound quality is very good and of course they shut down when you shoot. You can definitely hear better in the woods with these.
I did some research too and talked to several people that hunt with hearing "enhancement" devices and most like the smaller type earplug style. A lot of folks feel like they are way more comfortable to wear. Everyone that uses that type only use one in one ear. The general consensus is that if you have one in each ear the hearing is too enhanced and it is difficult to tell which direction things are coming from. Also that you are just overwhelmed with too much sound.

I have used proears for a very long time. Pricey, but they just replaced an old pair for me that i had problems with. Made in the USA. I use them for R.O-ing, load development, and hunting. I can hear critters 100% with them than w/o them.

Been using Howard Leight's for years but found that they don't protect very well for rifles or extended shooting or with other shooters around like at the range. I had to double up with foam plugs at the range or else after I could feel a slight ear/head ache from other rifles especially with muzzle brakes.

It's because Howard Leight's are only rated to 23db. That's pretty poor considering other electronic ear protection are rated up to 29 or 31. Basic cheap orange foam plugs are rated 30-33db!

Another downside of "muffs" is they are hot in the summer, they interfere with boonie hats or sun hats and beanies and hoods, and they don't fit youth.

Enter the new age of neckband style electronic ear plugs! All of the positives, none of the negatives. I've had my eye on the Walker's Razor-XV w/bluetooth for a while but the neckband seemed a little bulky.

I just ordered the new Walker's Rope electronic hearing enhancer/protection with 29db rating and rechargable 15hr battery life. $68 with free next day delivery on Amazon Prime. I suspect they will soon offer a bluetooth version.
43500256350_d78500c04e_c.jpg

Goodbye ear muffs. No more excuses for not wearing earpro while hunting.

Walkers Razor-X or Razor-XV with blue tooth. 31 NRR, worn around neck with retractable plugs. Let you have enhanced adjustable hearing, sound activated compression, and lets you have directional hearing still. They are great and pretty inexpensive. On sale at MidwayUSA now for 90 or 110 bucks. Will allow for rifle or shotgun use with no interference. Also can pull stocking hat over them.

I'm all for hearing protection, I always wear when I'm target shooting. A lot of years of blasting away without protection has damaged my hearing.

I have a set of Pro-Ears, work well. For shooting ground squirrels or even dove they work great. The one downside to electronic hearing is while you can hear better, there is no directional control....you cant tell where the sound is coming from. A quail that flushes behind you will have you spinning circles wondering where the sound is coming from.

I have Walker's Micro-ear. They're expensive, but double as
hearing aids. Compared to hearing aids, they're CHEAP! They're
effective, block high decibles, and there's absolutely NOTHING
in the way...no strings, bands over the head....nothing.

I used to wear Peltor's when I hunted. I tried the Walker's game ears and they lasted all of one season.

Go suppressed if you can. I know, there is little hope that we can get the hearing protection act through, but really, there is something to be said for being able to hunt without ear pro. Even with my Peltor's stereo ability, you can pin down coyote howls so much easier without ear pro.

Thank you, for the replies, gentlemen!

I've definitely changed my mind about the muffs and will look into the Razor X ear bud models. Enhanced hearing is good, but being able to tell where the sound is coming from is critical!

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

I have 2 sets of Howard Leights that I have used for almost 10 years, I like them. One pair finally broke this spring (plastic connecting the headband snapped). Also have a pair of Walkers but each ear has it's own volume which I hate, if they aren't set exactly the same it is very annoying. They also don't fold up as compact as the HL's.

I started buying suppressors a couple years ago and that is definitely the way to go. I still carry the HL's if I expect more than a shot or two (AR's still have port noise), but the suppressor makes a GIANT difference.

Originally Posted By: bowhunter57Thank you, for the replies, gentlemen!

I've definitely changed my mind about the muffs and will look into the Razor X ear bud models. Enhanced hearing is good, but being able to tell where the sound is coming from is critical!

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Being able to decipher direction is the biggest issue for me against ear pro. But I know that suppressors aren't for everyone.

How do electronic muffs work with e-calls? I keep my foxpro call fairly close and I feel like it would amplify the sound and drive me crazy.

Originally Posted By: 22guyHow do electronic muffs work with e-calls? I keep my foxpro call fairly close and I feel like it would amplify the sound and drive me crazy.

If the volume is low on your call it will amplify it. But if the volume is high, it will mute the muffs which can drive you just as crazy. Depending on the ears, you might also get static, which is annoying.

My main complaint was in trying to pin down their location. I would hear them well enough, but pinning down their location with electronic ears was very tough.

I am by no means advocating hunting without them since the damage to your ears is irreparable. But it is a real hit or miss proposition like much of the predator hunting gear.

I have the Walker Razor Slims from Amazon.

Pros:
You can hear people talking normally from about 100 yards out. (cant tell what they are saying, but you can hear them)
I can hear coyote howls over the sounds of my distress calls.

Cons:
Very tight on my head. I had to bend the top bar out so they didn't squeeze my head so hard.
After long periods of time, and wearing sunglasses, it kills above my ears.
Picks up wind better than anything else.

Overall, not a bad deal, but I think there are better options. I saw some that come with a slit to fit around your sunglasses so you don't get that pinch.

I keep my volume set so that normal conversation is the same as without them. That way I can hear the call's volume without having to touch my muffs (for coaxers, etc.).

Back