VX Freedom 1-4 with Hog Plex reticle

pyscodog

to put on my 45-70 Marlin. I was using the Williams peep but these tired old eyes seem to be fighting the peep. I think I'll use the Leupold for load work until I find a load I want to use, then the VX will come off and the peep will go back on and I'll use the Leupold on my Blackout. At least thats the plan for now. Now if I can keep from getting punched in the eye with the scope, maybe I can find a good load for this rifle.

Well.........the 45/70 evidently was to much for the Freedom scope. About three or four shots and it was toast.It wouldn't put two shots in the same spot or even close. I pulled it off, returned it to Academy for a refund and put my Williams peep back on. I decided this rifle is going to be scopeless. I'm going to learn to use the peep sight one way or another.

I bought the same scope but do to the move haven't mounted it yet, it will go on one of my coyote guns so I doubt recoil will be a problem. I do like the clarity and the power range for hunting.

I did put an old Vari-X-II 1-4 on my light 35 Whelen a number of years ago and shooting 250's hot after five shots it sounded like a Maraca when you shook it. Leupold fixed it and it has worked well on a coyote gun. I have a Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x20mm on it now.

The scope was a demo model they had in the show case. I asked for a NIB but this one was the only one they had so I took it. I really don't like buying the demo's cause you just never know. I mounted the scope with Weaver bases and a decent set of steel rings the bore sighted the scope. I had 20 rounds of ammo loaded with just a mild load of H4198 and a 300 grain Hornady bullet. I figured that would be plenty to get the rifle/scope dialed in with. Shooting at a 15x15 target,my first shot broke paper just out of the bull at 1:00. Second shot, who knows where it went, wasn't on paper. Third shot back on paper, low in the bull at about the 6 o'clock position. Then I shot two more rounds and didn't break paper with them. So, I walked down to the target and had two fresh hole about 6 inchs below the target in the target backer. So, I dial the scope down to the fresh holes and fire another round. It actually went into the bull. Fired a couple more and now they are at the very top of my target, barely on paper. WTH is going on here!! After this,I figured the scope was toast and decided to return it. Out of the 20 rounds fired,there were only 8 holes in my target. The other 12????? Who knows where they went.

Back