Retirement

reloader326

I'm a long DANG way from retirement, but over the years I've noticed that some folks can't wait to retire and some are afraid that: a.)they won't have enough to do to keep them busy or b.)their money will run out.
I started thinking back a couple days ago and it seems to me that the guys that looked forward to retiring were the same guys that I talked to a lot about hunting, fishing, etc. and the ones that weren't were non-outdoorsy folks.

Anyone else find this to be true or is this just my mind wandering aimlessly on my rotten hour long commute to work.....?

Originally Posted By: reloader326...my mind wandering aimlessly on my rotten hour long commute to work.....?

That was me a few years ago, nasty commute around Atlanta. (one hour one way was a good day)

A) that person has no hobbies, me, I have too many !!

B) $$$, until I win the lottery, it will always be a concern, but since its to late to do anything about it, why worry !!

I know several that are willing to work until 70 for the extra social security. I am eligible Dec 2023 at the age of 60. I am going to retire then. If I need extra money I can always set up my wood working tools again and make some money. I like to hunt, trap and other things outdoors. I have plenty to keep me busy. I have put in my time and am getting tired of the government employment and bull crap. Time to enjoy life.

I retired at 67. Had a pretty good 401K saved up and got a severance check when the company moved to Kentucky. I guess I was somewhat forced into retirement but now.....its not so bad after all. The gun club keeps me busy, I get to hunt all I want when I want, I stay up late and sleep late to. I've gotten a little lazy but hey.....I earned it. Sometimes I get bored and spend to much money on foolish things like guns and ammo but all in all, retirement ain't to bad.

I'll be eligible in 3 yrs at the ripe old age of 50.
Can't collect Medicare till 65. And I suck at saving. To many toys I know I wont be able to afford when I do retire. I'm going to be a broke sob but at least I will be well armed.

Wasn't really obsessed with retiring, nor was I concerned about having enough to do, what with hunting and fishing. Can't say I wasn't concerned about having enough money to last. Retirement kinda slipped up on my blind side.

When I was 61 I'd started to think about retiring @ 65 and drawing SS and casually mentioned the fact to a couple of customers. 6 months before my 62nd birthday (at which time I could start to draw SS), one of those customers made us an offer for our small business that we couldn't refuse.

That first 6 months was pretty dry until SS kicked in and Medicare @ 65 was a big help. Even made a couple of cross country trips with the TT during those first years.

A good boat, a travel trailer and a great hunting lease has kept me about as busy as I can stand.
grin.gif

Only advice I would offer is don't put off those planned trips too long because sooner or later health issues tend to get in the way. First to go was the TT, then the boat when they got to be more work than I felt comfortable with. Hangin' on to the hunting lease as long as I can climb in a jeep, though.
smile.gif
It's been a great 20 years; I heartily recommend retirement.

Regards,
hm

I've been retired for 10 years now. I honestly don't know how I found the time to work.
But part of that thought goes to the fact that I can only do maybe half of what I used to do before I give out for the day.
My afternoon nap is a highlight of my day.

Been retired nearly 16 years. A friend asked one time if I missed working. I said not at all. The trouble with work is it cuts right into the middle of the day. Just wish I had the energy I once had.

Originally Posted By: reb8600I know several that are willing to work until 70 for the extra social security...
That is a balance/question that needs to be answered for each individual.
For me, the extra monthly income of retiring at 70 didn't offset the SS monthly income LOST from 66,67,68,and 69.
So I started when SS said 100%, was 66 for me..

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: reb8600I know several that are willing to work until 70 for the extra social security...
That is a balance/question that needs to be answered for each individual.
For me, the extra monthly income of retiring at 70 didn't offset the SS monthly income LOST from 66,67,68,and 69.
So I started when SS said 100%, was 66 for me..

Lucky man, 100% for me is 72....I'm 35 now, just refinanced to a 15 year mortgage just to get that paid off sooner and start hammering $$ into my savings after because I'll be dammed if I work until I'm 72, or dead before that.
cursing.gif

Would retire now if I didn't have two kids to put through college. Five more years and I'm done hopefully S.S. will still be around when I'm eligible at 62.

My uncle retired at 62 died from cancer six months later. FIL retired at 64 died in three months from a stroke.

You are not here for a long time you are here for a good time.....

I was obsessed with retiring. I was a Postmaster and after 34 years I was ready to be spit out by the P.O. Retired at 55 in 2000. Never missed it one bit. Enjoy everyday cause we never know!

Back