Heavy duty replacement mounting nut options for one piece scope bases?

Dultimatpredator

I ordered a primary arms extended one piece base and I have read that the weak link is the mounting nuts that snug up the bases. It even states right on their website to snug them and only give them a half turn. I would assume the nuts are made out of soft aluminum so the nuts strip before damaging the base. I am using this base on my Remington 700 LTR 223 and have to reverse so I can bring back photon 4.5 all the way back to my eye. It was either this $60 base or the next step up is three times more money. I have a steel HD EGW picatinny rail zero MOA I'm attaching it to. EGW said they would exchange the steel rail out for rail 80020 that's aluminum and extends both ways. I want to keep my steel rail so the only way to get this optic to work is to find a mount like the primary arms extended version which puts the first ring in back of the picatinny rail mount when reversed and mounted all the way back on last picatinny slot(which is where I have to have it or it's too far forward) otherwise the scope sits to far forward. I guess the photons are made for AR's with adjustable stocks. I just have my mind made up to put it on my bolt action.

Anyways, back to my question. I hear people have switched out the mounting nuts and ring toque screws at the local hardware store. I would assume the base mounting nuts have to be tapered on one end? What kind of nuts do you guys use to do this?

Lastly can I convert this mount to a quick detach set up by replacing the mounting screws with some type of spring loaded flip type cam adjusters? I'd really like to try this!

If I use the original mounting nuts should I use blue lock tight? I plan on removing the optic to mount a normal daytime optic from time to time. Also I would assume to snug the mounting nuts by hand till tight and then give a quarter to half inch turn with a wrench...no more, to tighten?

Here's the mount

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-deluxe-extended-ar15-scope-mount-30mm-padlxsmext

Here is the way I need to mount it for the correct eye relief or I would have to massively choke up on the bat so to speak to see through it.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en-us&biw=1024&bih=648&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=soivW5uPLsOkjwSk4Z6wDg&ins=false&q=photon++mounted+to+a+rifle&oq=photon++mounted+to+a+rifle&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3..33i10.166798.172659..173117...2.0..2.1485.10053.3j7j0j1j1j2j2j4......0....1.........41.7JT30hQxDHM#imgrc=_kSKGxGfENV0FM:

Last edited:
I looked at that mount and the torque specs. Sounds like it should work just fine out of the box. Sounds like the problems are more of Bubba thinking you need an extender on the ratchet wrench and pulling on it until the bolt won't turn or something breaks. Put it on with a torque wrench to specs.

Talk to Primary Arms most companies

Last edited:
I have the mount just waiting on my EGW rail to show up in the mail tomorrow. I figured I'd hand tighten them and then give a quarter to a half turn on the nuts.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog35 to 40 inch pounds is pretty tight and being 223 the recoil shouldn't be a major problem.

Especially if you slide the cross bolt forward to meet the slots correctly.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: pyscodog35 to 40 inch pounds is pretty tight and being 223 the recoil shouldn't be a major problem.

I slid them backwards on my 450 bushmaster once. Scope came loose and wrecked it. Learned the hard way.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: pyscodog35 to 40 inch pounds is pretty tight and being 223 the recoil shouldn't be a major problem.

I slid them backwards on my 450 bushmaster once. Scope came loose and wrecked it. Learned the hard way.

Yep...you created a slide-hammer doing that. Some lessons are hard to swallow.

Base showed up. It seems nice and heavy duty...too bad they sent it to me with a seized cross threaded scope ring screw. It was only screwed half way in compaired to all the others. I can't believe they didn't catch it. PA is sending a replacement mount out. I might have to try and clean the threads up on the defective one since they don't want it back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodog35 to 40 inch pounds is pretty tight and being 223 the recoil shouldn't be a major problem.

if they're aluminum, 20 inch pounds should be more than sufficient to keep them in place and not damage them.

thats the setting ive seen online in multiple places and been given by several local smiths i trust for mounting anything scope related thats machined from aluminum.

if you're concerned about screws backing out, a drop of removable loctite will ensure that your stuff isnt going anywhere.

Back