Massachusetts predator hunters

Opening day is coming up fast, sounds like it will be a bit cooler, maybe a frost to keep the ticks down. They have been taunting me almost every night.

Originally Posted By: masshunterOpening day is coming up fast, sounds like it will be a bit cooler, maybe a frost to keep the ticks down. They have been taunting me almost every night.

Indeed! The season came up quick, I haven't even reloaded ammo for the season yet.

I'll be out Saturday but i'll probably wait for snow on the ground before I go out at night so at least I can see. It's tough with no snow even with a full moon.

Good luck!

Took a walk this morning to check out for Saturday, and the archery opener, coyote droppings, deer tracks,and a bear track all in the same mud patch ! I'm pumped !

Originally Posted By: masshunterTook a walk this morning to check out for Saturday, and the archery opener, coyote droppings, deer tracks,and a bear track all in the same mud patch ! I'm pumped !

Nice, i'll be heading out your way. Probably call in the Worthington area.

I don't bow hunt but i'm sure i'll see some good sign that's COLD by the time shotgun rolls around.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterAny luck so far??

NOPE

Tough year weatherwise for the 9-5 guys that only hunt Saturdays, been raining every Saturday since opening. I usually don't go out at night until we get snowfall, can't see much otherwise.

I'll be out this weekend then it's off to deer season out-of-state.

Good luck fella's, lets here it if you had success.

After all the wind I got out Tuesday morning and on the second stand got a 41 pound female to one of the "showshoe rabbit" sounds. Must be 20 miles to the nearest snowshoe rabbit. This morning with the same sound I called in and rolled one, but couldn't find it after it ran off. Back windy as heck again. Anyone else getting out ?

Originally Posted By: masshunterAfter all the wind I got out Tuesday morning and on the second stand got a 41 pound female to one of the "showshoe rabbit" sounds. Must be 20 miles to the nearest snowshoe rabbit. This morning with the same sound I called in and rolled one, but couldn't find it after it ran off. Back windy as heck again. Anyone else getting out ?

Nice!! Snowshoe #2 is a sound I use quite a bit.

Went out Saturday looking for a cat, made 4 stands. Nothing. Hopefully will get out this Saturday before the storm rolls through and then you can't park anywhere anymore.

Good luck out there

Congrats masshunter, I haven't been out once. 2 guys short on my machine so I'm working 65+ hours a week, and to top that off my past 3 weekends (Wednesday and Thursday) I've had either a child or a wife home sick.

Went out to try the moon last night, did two sets right behind my house as the wind was perfect. No coyotes showed during my 45 min sets, 8:30 to 9:15, and 11:10 to midnight. My first set brought in a grey fox when I turned the sound down to 3, a lesson there I think. I kept him around for a live decoy. Also on both sets a big owl kept attacking my mojo critter that I always tie down. I did a big circle this morning and no fresh tracks that wern't there the day before, so I guess they were all out of hearing. I don't think the fox would have hung around if he smelled any yotes. Don't think I'll have any moon tonight with the rain.

Originally Posted By: masshunterWent out to try the moon last night, did two sets right behind my house as the wind was perfect. No coyotes showed during my 45 min sets, 8:30 to 9:15, and 11:10 to midnight. My first set brought in a grey fox when I turned the sound down to 3, a lesson there I think. I kept him around for a live decoy. Also on both sets a big owl kept attacking my mojo critter that I always tie down. I did a big circle this morning and no fresh tracks that wern't there the day before, so I guess they were all out of hearing. I don't think the fox would have hung around if he smelled any yotes. Don't think I'll have any moon tonight with the rain.

Gotta love those owls, i’ve had two big fluffy ones come in this year.

Keep after em. I’ll be back out this weekend.

I havent seen a fox in a long time. Been a few years since ive called one.

I was FINALLY able to get out for the first time this 2018/2019 season. Between work, kids wrestling ,bball and the flu that hit all 5 of us in the house one week after another I never had the time. I went out wednesday am and made 4 stands with my father. First stand ended when my father shaved a coyote at 40 yards or so. I couldn't get a follow up shot and neither could he. Took about 21 minutes till that dog came in.
Next 3 stands were blanks.
My father went to the range thursday to check his zero and he was 4" high and 3" left at 100 yards. Something hanky happened because he took that gun to the range on monday to check zero and it was good!! [beeep] Luck

How have you guys been doing??

Last edited:
I've had a very slow start to this season, due to never ending flu/cold. One bobcat down, and no coyote seen other than on trail cam. Hoping to get some stands in during this warm spell coming. At least I'll be warm!

Been getting out a little, sick me, sick wife, very sick dog, and crap weather have intervened but I did miss 2 hard chargers a couple weeks ago, called in a red fox weds. morning that I gave a pass, kept it around for a decoy before dog walkers spoiled the spot. That night was pretty bright while snowing, so I made a stand about 11:15, and had a coyote do a run by so fast I couldn't get a shot. Only a week left of the season and more crap weather coming. I made one stand this morning with no takers, hope to get out this pm.

Got out yesterday morning at first light calling to a spot they howl from almost nightly, but crunchy snow may have given me away, only called in a barred owl

Got a 40 pound female yesterday morning, at a stand I call 4 or 5 times a year, and have never called in a yote {that I saw}. I was using Lightning Jack at very low volume, a sound I seldom use. Came in at about 5 min and caught a load of Win. BB. Stayed another 45 min but the wind picked up and started swirling back and forth. anyway, two more days. Hard to fnd a place to park.

Tuesday, I was out in the afternoon targeting bobcat. As soon as the sun went down, I had barking to the south of me and howling to the north. I'd forgotten to pack my [beeep] diaphragm call, and attempted a challenge bark. They laughed at me.

Last night, I had the Shockwave with me. I set it and ensured it worked, then parked myself in a stand near where I heard the commotion the night prior. As soon as the sun set, they were back at it howling. I attempted to use the Shockwave but it wouldn't respond. Defeated again. It was like the caller went into sleep mode? The caller powered up just fine after I got it home. Energizer Lithium, with only a bit of time on them. Not sure what the issue was, but temps had fallen hard.

Maybe I'll try that soft calling tactic before they begin their howling.

I had a problem with my Hellfire in the cold, and it was the remote battery not the caller. Even though it showed as power on the remote, as soon as I changed it I was good to go. Hate these last couple days, taking dog to the vet in the morning, then new dryer getting delivered in the afternoon. Day is shot. Got a NH licence for my B day so I can get up there and hunt with my buddy. Good luck to all that get out. Do you hunt the Valley, Hill towns, or the Berkshires ? I was stuck close to home in the valley this year.

Back