Titanium Suppressor...how do you clean yours?

wherdog

I have a Varminter 3.0 from Dakota Silencer made by Mack Bros. and it is titanium. Just curious if anyone uses an ultrasonic cleaner and if so what solution do you use with yours. If anyone has any other ideas to clean easily I am open to hearing what you do. Thanks!

The instructions say to use a solvent (WD-40, breakFree etc...) spray the inside and let sit for 24 hours. Then use a stiff bristle brush to clean the baffles and iside the tube.

I tried this but the break away spray didn't work so well. There was a lot of buildup on the baffles. I received one of the first 3.0's and the instructions told me I could go 1000 rounds before cleaning. I was also told I could probably let it go 2000 rounds when buying it. After the fact, they realized that was too many rounds and changed it to 100 rounds without informing me. So mine was extra dirty. I will be cleaning it out more frequently now that I know that. I am just looking for an easier and quicker process for getting the job done.

For my servicable rimfire can, nothing is quicker than UltraSonic cleaner. I use the hornady solution for gun parts. Most of the time i have to run it for upwards of 30 mins or more to get it squeaky clean. I know this is not the same as what u have but hopefully it may help you.

Last edited:
I use hornady oneshot sonic solution. I just mix it up pour it into an disposable aluminum cooking pan liner deal just big enoug for the surpressor let it soak over nite in it and I’ll use a screw driver to scrape the hard junk off. My fan is a lane though the tube is titanium and the baffle is stainless. This has worked really well for me.

If you're required to clean a Centerfire can, or any can for that matter after a 100 rounds, I would sell it, and purchase one that isn't so demanding. A rifle barrel may be required to clean every 50-100 rounds but a good Centerfire can will go 10's of thousands of rounds before worrying about cleaning.

BUT that's just me, I also break in my custom rifle barrels and people don't agree with that, so whatever you think needs to be done to increase it's or your performance is all that matters.

are you shooting subs or super thru it primarily?

my centerfire can has never been taken down for cleaning, but i'm only firing jacketed bullets thru it too - no rimfire anything, and no bare lead.

Originally Posted By: skinneyIf you're required to clean a Centerfire can, or any can for that matter after a 100 rounds, I would sell it, and purchase one that isn't so demanding. A rifle barrel may be required to clean every 50-100 rounds but a good Centerfire can will go 10's of thousands of rounds before worrying about cleaning.

BUT that's just me, I also break in my custom rifle barrels and people don't agree with that, so whatever you think needs to be done to increase it's or your performance is all that matters.

+1, Skinney, +1 for sure.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: skinneyIf you're required to clean a Centerfire can, or any can for that matter after a 100 rounds, I would sell it, and purchase one that isn't so demanding. A rifle barrel may be required to clean every 50-100 rounds but a good Centerfire can will go 10's of thousands of rounds before worrying about cleaning.

My center fire cans are not serviceable nor does the manufacturer recommend any type of cleaning so.....I was thinking the same thing.

To be 100% honest it's a sales ploy, something new, a newer version perhaps, an "upgrade" so it's different, maybe the tube looks different, with different machine markings, or maybe the endcaps are threaded to "market" it serviceable. I had 2 separate Elk hunters here (2 weeks ago) who were uninformed regarding their suppressor purchase and were quite frustrated to say the least, that they were having to clean their cans every 100 rounds in order to break it apart consistently... I just laughed, they didn't know any better, I ended up selling them an SRT Shadow XL Ti, and a TBAC Ultra 7, both of which are some of the best I've used and are not user serviceable, AND both companies have been around a long time with a lot of knowledge about Suppressors.

NOTE: I am talking about center fire suppressors, not rimfire, or cans that see a high volume of consistent subsonic rounds.

skinney said:
If you're required to clean a Centerfire can, or any can for that matter after a 100 rounds, I would sell it, and purchase one that isn't so demanding. A rifle barrel may be required to clean every 50-100 rounds but a good Centerfire can will go 10's of thousands of rounds before worrying about cleaning.

I am going to cut down on rimfire through this suppressor and just use centerfire to see just how dirty it gets. I guess I will check it every couple hundred rounds to see. But I thought 100 rounds was ridiculous!!

Originally Posted By: wherdog
I am going to cut down on rimfire through this suppressor and just use centerfire to see just how dirty it gets. I guess I will check it every couple hundred rounds to see. But I thought 100 rounds was ridiculous!!

Since you've already invested money, and more importantly wait time on the suppressor, I would just shoot it, do not worry about breaking it down to clean. The VAPR suppressors we run are serviceable but not by the user. I've got about 5k down one of my .224 VAPR's and IF I ever feel the need to have it cleaned, I just send it back to SRT and have them break it down and press the stack out to clean it!

Originally Posted By: wherdogOriginally Posted By: Plant.Oneare you shooting subs or super thru it primarily?

Super- I did shoot quite a few rimfire rounds through it which made it really dirty.

ahhh ok.. so if you're shooting rimfire thru it - the cleaning is to keep lead buildup down and not for anything related to your centerfire usage.

i HIGHLY recommend you invest in a 2nd, rimfire specific can, when you have the budget for it. many of the modern ones while not only being user serviceable, are being produced from products that allow vigorous cleaning methods that you can use on all-alumnium models that were way to common in the past.

this will not onnly save wear and tear on your centerfire can, but probably save you a ton of weight when attached to your rimfires.

my sparrow is a single digit weight can (right about 7oz IIRC), much more suited to the rifle and pistols i use it on, than my 22oz centerfire can.

I have always cleaned my Centerfire cans. It doesn't take that many rounds being shot through them until they start gaining weight,and that extra weight will start throwing off your dope data after a while. You'd be surprised at how much carbon build up there is inside a centerfire suppressor after a while.
I don't know how many rounds that I put through all my suppressor's,I use them on about 15 rifles,but when they weigh 1-2 ounces more than they do when they were new and clean,I throw them in the solution and clean them.

The easiest way to clean them is just soak them in Berrymans Chem-Dip solution,you can find it at any auto supply or Wal-mart. Just let them soak for 24 hours,and it will get rid of all the build up on the baffles/tube/end caps. It just takes a rag to wipe them clean,no scrubbing or rubbing required on suppressors that come apart like the Varminter 3.0.
On sealed cans like my Thunder Beast 30-P1's,I just soak the whole thing in the Chem-Dip,and then stand them up on end and drain for a while,then blow them out with my compressor

Chem-Dip has never harmed the outer coatings on my suppressor's.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: skinneyIf you're required to clean a Centerfire can, or any can for that matter after a 100 rounds, I would sell it, and purchase one that isn't so demanding. A rifle barrel may be required to clean every 50-100 rounds but a good Centerfire can will go 10's of thousands of rounds before worrying about cleaning.

My center fire cans are not serviceable nor does the manufacturer recommend any type of cleaning so.....I was thinking the same thing.

With the velocity of the gas along with the thousands of PSI, most are self cleaning. What little remains is insignificant to the can's operation. But some guys just gotta clean EVERYTHING, or tinker. If it makes you feel better to go buy a sonic cleaner, or spray some kind of magic juju juice through the can, go ahead and salve your conscience. But I am with Crapshoot and Skinney. Follow the OEM's recommendations and don't reinvent the wheel.

My can is a sealed, direct thread, full auto rated, with a couple thousand rounds thru it. 20vt and 223 only. I was very happy with it until a minor baffle strike. I could not believe the amount of carbon that came out of it. It has been back at the shop for several weeks now being repaired/rebuilt/cleaned whatever. All I can say is they do crud up, regardless of what other people say. No I am not going to mention the make. This is a cf can used for cf only.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whyMy can is a sealed, direct thread, full auto rated, with a couple thousand rounds thru it. 20vt and 223 only. I was very happy with it until a minor baffle strike. I could not believe the amount of carbon that came out of it. It has been back at the shop for several weeks now being repaired/rebuilt/cleaned whatever. All I can say is they do crud up, regardless of what other people say. No I am not going to mention the make. This is a cf can used for cf only.

I've had baffle strikes, endcaps get blown off, side walls blown out, and rounds get stuck inside the baffle stack. Sure there was carbon build up after thousands of rounds (no one disputes that), but that wasn't the cause for any of my issues above, and it certainly doesn't mean it needed to be cleaned. I'm very happy with all the cans above still, CS was top tier.

Skinney, not being a smart alec here. I would love to hear some stories on your suppressor mishaps, especially the rounds stuck in the baffle stack and sidewall blowouts. Holy cow!

Back