Thermal Scopes worth the money?

I'm a blue-collar worker so $5K on a Thermal scope was a very large purchase, or so it seemed when I was lusting after one. Once I saw one a friend had, I was hooked.

So I started to consider the pros/cons of spending that kind of money on something I WANTED vs. something I NEEDED.

I came to this conclusion... I'm a hunter, I love the outdoors and everything about it. I don't fish (used to love off-shore until the laws/limits changed so I sold my boat years ago), don't gamble, don't smoke fancy cigars, don't attend professional sports events, don't go to concerts, don't collect anything other than guns and ammo, etc.

So for me it boiled down to who am I and what do I do with my time for enjoyment... the answer... I hunt.

So... with that said, I realized I live the hunting lifestyle therefore I do not consider hunting a hobby per se. Once I realized that, $5K seemed to be NOTHING for a piece of kit that not only would greatly enhance my experiences outdoors, but would open up many more opportunities. I also consider it a great safety advantage when it comes to spotting trespassers and poachers, which my Thermal actually helped me with that one night. Then... there is the "cool" factor.

So... ask yourself... how interested are you in hunting, is it a passion, like it is with me, or is it just something you enjoy doing... I think there is a big difference. Ask yourself will you use it... for me, the answer was an undisputed YES!

It is an expensive piece of gear at first glance... but in the overall grand scheme of things... when you consider all the other things in life that get out cash, it really isn't that expensive at all considering the advancement in your game it will provide.

Bowhntr, very good point.

For me that's a real chunk of change, especially since I have other pressing needs. I did somewhat of a compromise and spent about half that for an Apex XQ38. I think I made a good decision - for me, that is.

Bowhunter6pt is spot on!

It is all about priorities.

My friend payed 8k for the scope I bought from him.

He was in a very difficult situation but be it for me to divulge the price he offered it to me for. Let’s just say I felt guilty taking it off his hands for his asking price.

You better believe once you get a thermal the ‘ole light bulb will be coming on often about the things you can do with them. Things you did not even consider.

Three44s

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: old catThat you did not buy it sooner.
lol..Probably so! I've got it and have it mounted. Now for the sight in!

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Good thermal is a total game changer. I will never be without.

Amen! Switched from lights to thermal and our numbers went waaaaaaay up. The biggest eye opener was when we realized that we had been calling coyotes all along and had just never seen them with lights.

Back