6.5 Grendel Pro's and Cons's?

In fairness, the guy might have been honestly feeling like he was saving you from future disappointment. In our current market trend towards long range shooting, the Grendel doesn’t keep up with the big kids on the playground. The Grendel might be the best option for long range shooting out of a 2.26” AR mag, but it’s a slouch against short action cartridges. And your Billy Bob at the gun counter - on average - is used to talking to someone buying their first gun, so his advice is likely jaded towards newbies who will be disappointed when their 6.5 Grendel won’t keep up with his buddies’ 6.5 Creedmoor at the range.

I’ve given the same advice to many new shooters - if you want into long range shooting, bypass the Grendel. I absolutely love the Grendel, and I’m really excited about trying out some 6mm variants, but a guy needs to realize the difference between the Grendel and a 2.8-3.0” 6 or 6.5mm cartridge at 1,000yrds before they go jumping in. As I expect is the case here.

But if a guy wants a low powder use, low recoil, moderately capable bolt gun, the Grendel is a great option. I would pick up the CZ 527 Varmint in the new PTR stock. The Howa is a great little rifle, but the CZ is a cut above. My Grendel’s are AR’s, but i’m Itching badly to get a 6mm Grendel variant in the CZ.

I bought my first 6.5 Grendel AR-15 in 2009 when a Friend said we could go to his family's property in Texas to shoot hogs. My Buddy's health went south and we didn't go to Texas but I got addicted to the 6.5 Grendel. I had shot AR-10's but preferred the AR-15 size and weight and I liked the idea of shooting at longer range. I decided to try a 16" upper 6.5 Grendel from J&T Distributing a sister company to Double Star which has been gtg.

My next 6.5 Grendel is a 20" Shilen AR-15 I built. A few months ago I bought a like new Cz 527 6.5 Grendel with 24" barrel. The 6.5 Grendel gives up at least 200 FPS to the 6.5 CM or 260 and the 6.5 Grendel really doesn't get enough velocity to justify shooting bullets heavier than 130 grains in my opinion. I was seriously considering a Howa HB from Brownell's when a Friend offered me the Cz. The Cz is a very nice rifle if you like wood furniture.

I like the commonality of using the same cartridge in my AR-15's as in my bolt action. The 6.5 Grendel is cheaper to reload than the 6.5 CM/260/6.5x47L since the 6.5 Grendel only uses about 31 grains of powder. I had considered buying a 223 Rem bolt action since I have several 5.56/223 AR-15's but I just like the 6.5 Grendel cartridge better.

I've shot my 20" Shilen 6.5 Grendel to 1000 yards a couple of times but usually shoot 800 yards and closer. Hopefully with the cooler weather I can put some more rounds through my Cz plus shoot some more long range.

I really like building AR-15's and currently have two 16", one 18" and one 20" 6.5 Grendel AR-15's plus the Cz.

There have been to many QC issues with Bear Creek Arsenal 6.5 Grendel barrels for me to recommend them. I would recommend a Group buy Green Mountain barrel from the Grendel forum which are inexpensive. The AA, Ballistic Advantage, Faxon and Odin Works 6.5 Grendel get good reviews. Palmetto State Armory just released 6.5 Grendel uppers and reviews have been very positive.

Last edited:
Looks like my Grendel will be on hold for a few months. Went to get some bullets today and ended up buying a new Bushnell Elite 6500. Need to stay out of that dang place. But give me more time to plan.

I have shot a couple thousand rounds through 2 barrels (AR 15), the gun started as a Grendel (APF)with a 18" barrel and shot well, usually sub moa. I wanted it to be more accurate and ended with a 20" Lilja barrel, it is more accurate, also came at a price. The gun is extremely light and works great for hunting, I shoot 120 Noslers, almost all coyotes have been DRT (couple poorly placed shots). I think it is a great 250 yard hunting gun, since most coyotes do not give time to spin turrets and I am not that good with hold over. It is accurate way beyond that range. As far as brass goes I was getting 6 to 8 loads out of Hornady brass, now running Lapua brass, I expect over 20 out of the Lapua.

I love my Grendel, I would recommend a wildcat built off the Grendel. I mostly hunt now with a 6 DTI, and if I could do it all over again I would have a 243LBC (Grendel brass), just because you can get good brass for a Grendel.

Ruger American, I had 1 of these in .243 it shot good for a few rounds after that it would warm up and the groups would open up, a friend had 1 in .270 that did the same thing. It could be good with a Grendel with the slower speeds, just depends on how many rounds you want to shoot.

I don't have any interest in the 6.5 Grendel in an AR, but it appeals to me in a bolt action. I read about Arne Brennan's 6.5 Grendel F-Class rifle and its benefits like long barrel life and high accuracy, and thought I'd build one. PPC cartridges and their wildcats have been known for good accuracy and being mild on barrels for a while. Making a light, 300-400 yard deer and predator rifle in the cartridge seemed like a fun project. I guess I'll know in a few months when my barrel blank shows up.

I'm considering a little bit different 6.5G path, a 12" SBR with 85-95 grain bullets for 250 yds and under thermal night hunting. My math says this would produce a very similar trajectory to my very handy 11.5" suppressed 223 but provide about 500 more FPE for those less than perfect shot placements. The only cons are more expensive to shoot and no Pmags
cry.gif

I've not tried it but I have been told that 223 PMags will work, at reduced capacity. Maybe 7 rounds in a 10 rounder for example.

I have read that also, but it was 7 rounds in a 30 round mag. 30's are pretty long, I'd be curious how many would work in a 20 rounder.

I am considering a 6.5g build and have to know after reading this without doing any other research, are there mags available that are reliable in the Grendel? I like ASC for the price.

I bought mine from here:

http://www.44mag.com/category/ar15

10 and 25 rounds. Good price & prompt shipping & I've never had any issues with the mags. I think they're all ASC.

All is shows now for 6.6 Grendel are 15 round ASC that are out of stock, so I don't know if they'll get more later or not.

I order direct from ASC. Trey run flawlessly for me shooting any of the 6.5's and their variations. Additionally I use the same magazines in the 6.8's and derivations too. That's about the only ones Ritch use and I use them exclusively. The ability to load longer to about 2.314 nominal is also a major plus.

Greg

Back