Calling coyotes now ?

BangFlop

I would like to do a little coyote hunting on some property I have before hitting my deer lease hard for a big buck. I am looking to take advantage of the pups being on there own and the greatest population of coyotes I have to believe is now.

Any tips or suggestion as to success ratio this time of year and should I use distress sounds or coyote vocals (FP Shockwave).

Thanks all
Steve

I think you will have a better chance of calling in the pups this time of year with rodent , bird and cottontail distress sounds.

If you have Prairie Dog Distress sound it is a great sound, it has many different pitches and sounds in it. I have called in many coyotes and a few bobcats with Prairie Dog in distress sound and there are no prairie dogs anywhere near the areas I hunt.

Some people talk about killing Young Of the Year as being easy, some even say they are no challenge. I kill some that come in less cautious and do stupid stuff, but as far as "success ratio for this time of year"; I kill far more adults than I do YOYs.

Some stands I start off with distress and some I start off with just a couple howls and then go into distress, usually a couple different rabbit sounds for seven or eight minutes. If nothing shows by then I go into vocals, I try to sound excited and then go into pup in distress. A lot of it depends on if I have hunted that area recently and what sounds I used then.

When and where I hunt is almost always based on wind speed and direction. I don't call when it is very windy...

I do believe Steve/BangFlop knows the answers to the questions. I think he's playing the "beginners book of questions" to see where it goes.

I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to put money on it.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: songdogI do believe Steve/BangFlop knows the answers to the questions. I think he's playing the "beginners book of questions" to see where it goes.

rolleyes.gif

🤪... guess I fell for it

Originally Posted By: songdogI do believe Steve/BangFlop knows the answers to the questions. I think he's playing the "beginners book of questions" to see where it goes.

rolleyes.gif

Songdog,

Not sure what you are implying, but it was a simple question as I have never hunted coyotes during deer season. In fact, last year I just purchased my coyote rifle and Fox Pro caller in January (look up my posts) as I haven’t hunted coyotes in years. By the way, I killed exactly 0 but thanks for your help Sir!

Steve

sorry about that, I just figured anyone that has been posting here for 13 years probably had the answer to the question, guess I was wrong.

here's what I'd say, turn on distress this time of year and kill coyotes.

Bangflop, I grew up in Northern Illinois and never seen a coyote until the 1980's. The only ones I've see were trapped in the sand dunes near lake Michigan. So I am thinking they are not that abundant up there. I maybe wrong. If I were you I would target red fox and shoot the occasional coyote that comes to the call. I don't use coyote vocals only distress sounds.
Anyway good luck

Being from Wisconsin we have significant competition from the dog runners as soon as the snow hits the ground. my experience is that coyotes are much harder to call in after the snow is on the ground and the dog runners are surrounding mile section after mile section. From the time the first crops come off the fields up to deer hunting season is the best opportunity to kill both young of the year and experienced coyotes.

I figure that if someone is going to educate the young of the year, maybe it should be me. This time of year is the best time to call in multiple coyotes at one time.

just my two cents

I know I have been on this forum reading and doing some posting, but I really would appreciate your all’s help.

Coyote hunting in the past has been hunt them a few years and then stop for few years etc. I have shot a few coyotes, but my passion is big whitetails with archery equipment. I have shot bears on film for the Outdoor Channel, spring turkeys and mule deer I am an avid bass fisherman and ice fisherman.

My skills as a big game hunter have not seemed to cross over to predator hunting. I believe my biggest challenge is acres of hunting land needed to be successful in order to kill a bunch of coyotes. Which is very different than trying to take 1 big deer or 1 big bear, etc. The numbers game has never been part of my hunting.

My gear list:
Remington 700 LTR
Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 with German #4 reticle
Fox Pro Shockwave (hand picked calls from Fox Pro, bunch of Randy Anderson and Tony Tebbe sounds added)
Fox Pro integrated Decoy

Setup:
I always play the wind in my face. I try to setup where I have the most visibility down wind and try to call coyotes that I believe are up wind or crosswind. I usually stay on stand 20-30 minutes, however, almost every coyote I have killed has responded in less than 5 minutes.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
Steve

I called a coyote on Sunday evening with Tony Tebbe Cottontail Candy. Forgot my shooting sticks and missed a 60 yard straight on shot. When the trigger broke I just drifted off his chest to the left. So mad!

I believe I need to get 50 properties and a solid commitment as our coyotes in WI are not as plentiful in a confined area like my hunting in western states has shown them to be.

Maybe I just suck too! Lol

I have found Randy Andersons videos Calling all Coyotes to be an excellent teacher, especially his later videos he narrates his hunts in such a way that you get the thought process that goes into making a stand and the rational for his sound sequence.
As soon as you said wind in my face I heard his voice " call cross wind " coyotes will almost always try to get down wind before coming in close. Use the wind and the terrain to funnel him right where you have a good shot, but know that they are not always where you think they are and sometimes come from where you least expect.
This time of year i have had good success howling, coyotes are territorial and the pups have been kicked out of the family group and are on the look out for a place to call home and a friend to pair up with. A higher pitched howl will make older coyotes think a pup is squatting on his turf, and draw a young one in for companionship.
If howling brings in nothing try a small amount of distress, you will want to save most of your distress for later in the season ( don't give them all your cards at once ) then always before leaving a stand hit the pup distress, it just dang works.

I have all of Randy’s videos including the Verminatorb series. They are very good and educational. I think I just need to make a bunch more sets and play the odds. I’ll never be able to kill the numbers, but I would like to get just enough to keep the drive going.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: .204DanI have found Randy Andersons videos Calling all Coyotes to be an excellent teacher, especially his later videos he narrates his hunts in such a way that you get the thought process that goes into making a stand and the rational for his sound sequence.
As soon as you said wind in my face I heard his voice " call cross wind " coyotes will almost always try to get down wind before coming in close. Use the wind and the terrain to funnel him right where you have a good shot, but know that they are not always where you think they are and sometimes come from where you least expect.
This time of year i have had good success howling, coyotes are territorial and the pups have been kicked out of the family group and are on the look out for a place to call home and a friend to pair up with. A higher pitched howl will make older coyotes think a pup is squatting on his turf, and draw a young one in for companionship.
If howling brings in nothing try a small amount of distress, you will want to save most of your distress for later in the season ( don't give them all your cards at once ) then always before leaving a stand hit the pup distress, it just dang works.

I was thinking the same thing. I love Randy Anderson's DVD's.

Back