spitfire antenna mod

sounds like the spitfire is hit or miss with range, mine was terrible. I guess the moral of the story is to test it before you start drillin on it
wink.gif

Mine was horrible too. 20 or 25 yards tops. Maybe I should have sent it back to foxpro. I have had it a couple yrs so I went ahead and did the antenna extension. I'll see how that works this weekend.

Man you guys seem to have problems. I am a firm believer that a Coyote comes in much better if the caller is hidden. I hide my CS 24 in grass, under brush, and behind trees all the time and get much more range than 100yds.

The only problem we have is we have to elevate our spitfire callers to get reliable remote function due to poor remote range. I have mine on a small tripod (probably a foot tall or so) It works reliable at about 30 to 40 yards with the tripod. It doesn't seem to make a difference if the caller is in the open or not. I have called them into plowed fields really with not much hesitation. I do use a mojo decoy, but I always have it set up next to it. The truth is that it would be harder to sell the higher end calls if the lower end calls performed just as good as the more expensive ones. A factory installed external antenna would correct the remote range issue. With this said, I like my spitfire. It works good for the price, would just like better remote range. Thanks for the tip on adding a wire, does anyone know if you can add a folding antenna similar to the ones on other callers to it?

I just added an external antenna to my spitfire. Tested range,Before adding antenna, remote worked good out to approx 40 yards. After adding antenna, I went to spot it quit working before, worked good. went 10 more yards, worked good, after that I had to move the remote around to get it to work. I used an antenna off of an old 2 way radio I had laying around. (basically a spring with a rubber cover).
c5e87476.jpg

At first I put my Spifire right on the ground next to my decoy and got poor range. A person here on this web site told me to hang it in a bush or tree and I can now get 75-100 yds out of it by having it a foot or so off the ground. Works for me. If a yote is coming into the call and its a 100yds away, thats a 100yd+ shot. I put my call about 50yds out and have no issues.....

Last edited:
Hey powerfisher, it sounds like you got a good unit. I can't get that kind of range out of mine if someone was holding it up in a straight line. I usually only set mine out about 25 to 30 yards from me, but just knowing if i need a little more range it will work helps. I have hung mine on fence posts and bushes and I get the same reception that way as I do with my little tripod. Thanks for the tip anyway.

i think the key is antenna height. I got allot more distance out of mine with the wire but it sticks up more more than a foot off the spitfire. Before the mod the only time i got decent distance was if i hung it or put it ontop of the fence post. I like to distance my self from sometimes like when i put it near a ditch and sit above it, or i like to get between it and the coyote. THere are so many scenerios, more distance gives you more options.

I've had mine about a year and a half with no problems. But, I've always had it elevated, be it hung on a fence post or in a cedar or hedge tree. Seems getting it elevated might be the trick? Have had no problems out to 100 yds.

Hello...i think I can get that kind of range out of mine if someone was holding it up in a straight line. I usually only set mine out about 25 to 30 yards from me, but just knowing if i need a little more range it will work helps.

pcb assembly process

Last edited:
Back