100 grain 243 damage on coyotes

Tracker0721

Well I bought some reloading stuff and got 100 Hornady 100g BTSP and 500 Speer 100g grand slams through the rebate. I didn’t really want the 100 grains but reviews look good for deer and everything else. Now my question is who’s shot coyotes with em? Pencil in quarter out or do they mess em up? My real fur saver is my 222/12g but my new build is going to be the hammer for when I don’t care about pelts.

Also has anyone used the listed bullets for bear/ deer, how do you like em? I was sold on Nosler Partitions but you can’t argue free.

They kill deer very well.

40-41.5g of IMR 4350 in the Remington 700's that I have owned.

I seat the bullets to touch the lands where groups are usually 3/8" or less.

If you want to put the hammer down hard on coyotes, the 80g Sierra Blitz BT with 40-41g of imr 4064 with a fed 210 primer is the place to go, seat the bullet to just barely touch the lands.

ON another subject, the Reloader 26 with a fed 215 primer with the 100g will find the accuracy node in the 3150 fps + area.

Invest time in learning how to accurately measure the distance to the lands with your OAL.

Can't speak for the Hornady's or Speer's, but have shot a lot of deer, hogs and coyotes with 100 gr. Nosler solid base bullets in 243 WSSM @ 243 Win. velocities and they were very effective on all. May be a bit hard on fur, but that's not an issue this far south.

ETA: Have used the 87 gr. Hornady BTHP on recommendation of Mike @ Dtech and it hammers coyotes.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
If you shoot them in the head it's messy. If you shoot them in the guts it's messy. But then again you could say that about any cartridge pretty much. Usually if you hit them in the shoulder or behind the shoulder it just blows right through. Sometimes you'll catch one just right and blow a good sized hole on the exit side and other times it won't be bad at all. If you hit them in the chest or in the tail end they won't be bad at all. An entrance wound and that's it unless the bullet veers down or you aim too low and it comes out of the underside of the coyote. Then it'll be more of a cut type exit wound and you'll have some sewing to do.

Heavy bullets are way better on fur in a .243 than light/fast ones in my experience.

I've never shot a bear so I can't comment on that. My buddy has killed a lot of deer with 100 grain Softpoints and I've killed quite a few hogs with them. The biggest being a 280 pound sow. I hit her and she got up,ran over a hill and fell over dead. I'd say that's about as close to a bear as I've killed as far as muscle mass and toughness. There ain't much that's tougher than a hog.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OKRattlerIf you shoot them in the head it's messy. If you shoot them in the guts it's messy. But then again you could say that about any cartridge pretty much. Usually if you hit them in the shoulder or behind the shoulder it just blows right through. Sometimes you'll catch one just right and blow a good sized hole on the exit side and other times it won't be bad at all. If you hit them in the chest or in the tail end they won't be bad at all. An entrance wound and that's it unless the bullet veers down or you aim too low and it comes out of the underside of the coyote. Then it'll be more of a cut type exit wound and you'll have some sewing to do.

Heavy bullets are way better on fur in a .243 than light/fast ones in my experience.

I've never shot a bear so I can't comment on that. My buddy has killed a lot of deer with 100 grain Softpoints and I've killed quite a few hogs with them. The biggest being a 280 pound sow. I hit her and she got up,ran over a hill and fell over dead. I'd say that's about as close to a bear as I've killed as far as muscle mass and toughness. There ain't much that's tougher than a hog.

^^^^^^^^I watched my hunting partner shoot a coyote trotting, head down, straight toward us at a range right at 100 yds., with a 30-06 150 gr. SP (probably a Sierra GK, but not sure) seated over an M2 Ball load (approx 2750 fps). The coyote was DRT but when we recovered the critter, there was NO visible hole in it.

We were both surprised that the bullet entered the coyote's mouth and did not exit.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: OKRattlerIf you shoot them in the head it's messy. If you shoot them in the guts it's messy. But then again you could say that about any cartridge pretty much. Usually if you hit them in the shoulder or behind the shoulder it just blows right through. Sometimes you'll catch one just right and blow a good sized hole on the exit side and other times it won't be bad at all. If you hit them in the chest or in the tail end they won't be bad at all. An entrance wound and that's it unless the bullet veers down or you aim too low and it comes out of the underside of the coyote. Then it'll be more of a cut type exit wound and you'll have some sewing to do.

^^^^^^^^I watched my hunting partner shoot a coyote trotting, head down, straight toward us at a range right at 100 yds., with a 30-06 150 gr. SP (probably a Sierra GK, but not sure) seated over an M2 Ball load (approx 2750 fps). The coyote was DRT but when we recovered the critter, there was NO visible hole in it.

We were both surprised that the bullet entered the coyote's mouth and did not exit.

Regards,
hm

With that shot placement and that load you have to lift the tail to find the exit.
smile.gif

I had a guy tell me he shot a coyote with a 308 or something and it didn’t exit. Started skinning it and the guts were blown to bits. He shot it quartering towards. And it had a green belly because he let it sit for a day

Originally Posted By: Tracker0721I had a guy tell me he shot a coyote with a 308 or something and it didn’t exit. Started skinning it and the guts were blown to bits. He shot it quartering towards. And it had a green belly because he let it sit for a day

don't know about the rest of the guys story. but i guarantee this time of year, a coyote shot in the guts and left to sit for a day will make the part highlighted in red very true. yuck.

Originally Posted By: Tracker0721I had a guy tell me he shot a coyote with a 308 or something and it didn’t exit. Started skinning it and the guts were blown to bits. He shot it quartering towards. And it had a green belly because he let it sit for a day

I can vouch for that. I have hit plenty dead on in the chest with the. 308 and 6.5 grendel. IF the bullet goes straight, I have found them all the way back in the hind legs. But if it takes a turn, like a bone hit, it's coming out and will be messy.

Its going to tear most of the coyotes up. I know there are always exceptions but its a lot of energy for a small body to absorb.
The grand slam will kill a bear, my daughter shot a 150 black bear with one. Like everything it comes down to good shot placement. Its not the ideal caliber for it but if its all you have then use it.

Back