Started crow hunting Have ???

shermanrm

Not having luck ambushing them.
So I got a quillie and am waiting for decoys.
I know better than to shoot close to a roost,
So how far should I set up away from the roost ?
Have read about baiting- do they rely more on sight or do
they smell? Have 100's roosting in a alfalfa field - when they leave they go every direction.
Don't know where to set up without something to draw them.
Thanks in advance.

I think pretty much all birds rely on sight, they have excellent vision. I'd put corn out if you're allowed.
I've never heard of any good or bad distances from roost, just try to make sure they don't see you.
When the first one comes in, the scout, either be sure you can kill him or let him go

I have read about people blowing up a roost by shooting to close-crows move on to somewhere else.
How far do you setup from decoys?

As far away as you want to shoot. You want them to come to the decoy for a closer look. We always put them pretty much right on top of us. We usually set up in the woods or on field edges. In the woods, this time of year is fun because they have to dive under the tree tops and foliage to get a closer look...puts them right on top of you and moving fast!

Thanks for the replies.
I hunt wide open country mostly sagebrush flats.
A tall tree-buckbrush-is maybe 6 to 8 ft.
That's why I went to quillie.
Still waiting on decoys-hope that helps.

For a quick and dirty decoy, take an old metal hangar, bend it into the shape of a perched crow and put a black sock over it.
Happy hunting!

Originally Posted By: reloader326We usually set up in the woods or on field edges. In the woods, this time of year is fun because they have to dive under the tree tops and foliage to get a closer look...puts them right on top of you and moving fast!
This is exactly how I have hunted crows here for decades. This method does indeed put them right on top of you for some fast shooting.

Will get up in the mountains and give it a try.
Deer season starts today so it will be a while.
When the rest of my decoys get here will hunt the valley until then.
Thanks guy's

Back