Inexpensive NV that you would recommend?

wherdog

I am trying to get a hunting partner hooked up with an inexpensive NV scope. He is getting up in age and not going to be in the game but a couple of more years. Looking for something that isn't too expensive, say up to $700. What would you recommend for him to use both day and night time? Thanks!

A Sightmark Photon fits in that price range and works very well for an entry level scope. I have also seen a couple used NV scopes in the classifieds here for very good prices. In particular an Armasight Nemisis for 1k that is a very nice scope.

The ATN X-Sight 2 might be another consideration for your friend, if he has an understanding of navigating menus etc. I purchased the 3-14x model earlier this year and actually like it, despite all the negative publicity that surrounds it as well as actual problems the scope has sometimes. I myself have criticized the scope in the past and still recognize that it has some issues, but it's a pretty darn good scope overall in my opinion, especially for the price point. Mine is currently back at ATN due to locking up and buttons not working. Of course, I know of a few Photon scopes that had to be returned to the company as well, so there's no guarantee on any of them that they will be trouble free.

The X-Sight 2 gives color day mode and either black / white or green color at night, you can choose in the scope's menu.

I have owned two Photon models, both XT's. The Photon is more simple to use than the X-Sight, but for both day and night use, the X-Sight gets the nod from me. I especially like the ballistic calculator in the X-Sight that has really impressed me with just how accurate it is at varying distances.

If deciding on the X-Sight, I would get the X-Sight 2 and not the new 4k at this time. The 4k has several issues at the moment from what I read. It hasn't been out long enough to get the bugs worked out. Also, the 3-14x model of either X-Sight scopes will most likely serve you the best, unless you will be shooting at extreme distances. I looked through the 5-20x model also and it is just too much magnification and little field of view for me.

Sightmark / Sellway company (Photon) has good customer service, but ATN has not fared so well in the past at least. Soon I will know if their CS has improved now that they have a new CEO.

All digital scopes will require a good illuminator, so that is another consideration.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth and to give you another scope to think about.

I would also recommend the Sightmark Photon. Nice scope for the money. Durable and in his price range. Let me know if he has questions. Thanks!

The Sightmark Photon is a day/night scope in one correct? How good is the Sightmark Photon when used during daytime? Is is a colored normal looking view like a normal daytime scope?

Originally Posted By: wherdogThe Sightmark Photon is a day/night scope in one correct? How good is the Sightmark Photon when used during daytime? Is is a colored normal looking view like a normal daytime scope?

Not intended for daytime use. ATN X SIGHT is. PHOTON is a decent n/v scope from the 2 I have seen with a good IR you can go 250 yards. Go to predator hunting videos, KIRSH 13 for 18 & you can see an ANT X SIGHT at work.

Last edited:
Because I cannot support the potential anti American activity of ATN (see Skypup's posts), that only leaves Sightmark/Photon. Mine is a 4.6XT, and for years, I have believed it is the cheapest usable NV available. It, coupled with a decent IR illuminator will get you in the game-and yes, I have other much more expensive NV.

Last edited:
The Sightmark Photon is primarily a night time scope. It is certainly usable during daytime, but will give you a black and white picture which really shouldn't interfere with the ability to shoot during daytime.

For roughly $550, or a little less, you get a Photon 4.5 power RT with digital zoom to 9 power if needed. Plus, you get onboard recording and a rechargeable snap in battery pack. That's a lot of features for a truly usable night hunting outfit. Perhaps the most important aspect is that Sightmark/Sellmark has great CS. Turn around time seems to run about a week to 10 days from the time you ship a scope in for warranty to having a new one back in your hands. You do have to supply your own 30mm rings, and may need an additional 850nm IR illuminator, although I am told the onboard IR on the RT is much better than the poor one on the older XT model.

Originally Posted By: old cat
Not intended for daytime use. ATN X SIGHT is. PHOTON is a decent n/v scope from the 2 I have seen with a good IR you can go 250 yards. Go to predator hunting videos, KIRSH 13 for 18 & you can see an ANT X SIGHT at work.
Here is the thread Old Cat is talking about. I use the Xsight II but only for daylight hunting. Our state doesn't allow IR at this time. It is OK for a daytime scope. As furs get prime, I switch back over to a glass scope as my ratio of shots/kills is much better with glass. It is OK for what it is. This doesn't answer the night hunting question as my experience is with thermal not Night Vision

I have the photon 6x12x50mm 850nm rt model.. black and white picture during the day and very usable for a daytime scope .. at night I can get positive id on game 250 to 300 yards depending on how much moonlight there is ..on nights with some moon I can id deer at 350+ yards .. on a bright full moon night I can see trees / tree line fence rows and get eye reflection at 400 yards but no id until the animal gets closer .. the scope has decent clarity as well ..
very good scope for the amount of money spent ..
I use a night stalker tripod with the ball head and the pig saddle gun mount .. its a good solid easy to use tripod and I would recommend it also ..

I am currently running with the X-sight2 and I currently have no negative comments on this setup considering it's price range

Sure it's not a high end set-up as far as clarity & ect, But it has performed flawlessly for me these last two years and I really can't ask for more then that out of a 500-600 dollar setup...
I've paired it with the Night-eyes IR light and i've been able to make several 200 yards shots on coyotes!

One thing I never thought that I would do was use it as my daytime scope on spring ground hogs but I actually quite enjoyed using it and was making some good shots out to even 350 yards..

I have no experience with the Photon scope and I'm sure its another great option
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: bob2799I have the photon 6x12x50mm 850nm rt model.. black and white picture during the day and very usable for a daytime scope .. at night I can get positive id on game 250 to 500 yards depending on how much moonlight there is ..on nights with some moon I can id deer at 500+ yards .. on a bright full moon night I can see trees / tree line fence rows and get eye reflection at 1/4 mile but no id on game until the animal gets closer .. the scope has decent clarity as well ..
very good scope for the amount of money spent ..
I use a night stalker tripod with the ball head and the pig saddle gun mount .. its a good solid easy to use tripod and I would recommend it also ..
Have you ever used the XT version of the photon? If so how does it compare?

Back