Hand Call VS Ecall

I have a FoxPro, but prefer hand calls.

Slide in, sit down, chill, start calling. Keeping it simple is my approach.

Find what works best for you, then have a blast with it.

Rudy

Thanks everyone for the tips!
smile.gif

There is an art to using both. I prefer hand calls/mouthcalls, because thats what I started with, and its fun for me. I like the history of handcalls and calling. I also consider it sort of fundamental to predator calling, you learn a lot because it forces you to..approach, setup, movement, timing, shooting etc. Also, handcalls allow you to manually control the emotion, cadence, pauses etc. in the sequence. Your not droning on and on and on...at least you shouldnt be..you can dial it up or down...but...

....Theres no denying the power and convenience of an Ecall. Volume, real animal sounds, sound mixes, new sounds, sounds you cant make on handcalls etc. Getting sound away from you, hands free, and so on. Very powerful. There are days when a hand call will out call an Ecall, believe it or not though.

Imo, you need to learn to use both, they are all just tools. I wouldnt go calling nowdays without all of them in the truck.

My question is..and this is off topic I know..but with all the people (some predator hunters included) wanting to put a season on coyotes, and maybe make you get tags etc. for them...at what point do they become a game animal? At what point does the Game and Fish say that because they are classified as a game animal we cant use Ecalls? Then what are you going to do? The Ecall will be dead. Grey fox here in Kalifornia cannot be called with an Ecall, that was something that one of the calling clubs back in the day here approached California Fish and Game to do, stating that they were to easy to call that way, and it isnt sporting.

Ive just heard a lot of chatter latley from some hunters, and its kind of disturbing.
Mark

It is amazing how many people think that ecallers are so much better than hand calls.

When it comes to howlers, nothing is better than hand calls.

I love your input LONEHOWL, and I definitely agree with you in reference to learning, and utilizing, both ecall and hand call. I will continue to exercise both for sure
smile.gif

As far as all of the bureaucracy that is associated with "predators" and so on, that is one tricky conversation for sure. I for one would want to keep it at no bag limit, no season (open all year round) and keep the population in check. But that's just me.
smile.gif

I get more satisfaction using a hand or mouth call. I started calling back in the late 1960’s and crafted my own mouth calls from PVC pipe in the late 1970’s. I seen what Bill Austin was doing with his calls, so I bought some PVC pipe and a bench grinder to get me started. That first coyote just couldn’t resist coming into my dying rabbit chorus and fortunately my shot connected.

Yes I also enjoy LONEHOWL’s comments and he also crafts some GREAT calls.

I've got over a half century of predator hunting logged. From wind up 45rmp record players, past boom boxes and cassettes, on through the early Johnny Stewart calls, and into the modern e-callers.

I'll always take an open reed hand call. Enclosed reed hand calls are always on my string as well.

Pick what which works for you, practice daily, and have a blast with it!

Regards,

Rudy

In open country I will use hand calls or when I'm with a shooter. I really like e-calls as I hunt a lot of tight cover, not seeing a coyote until he is in shotgun range, when they are that close I prefer them to be focused on something other than me.

Normally I have a partner with me and we are calling open pasture ground and river breaks. Hence what we normally see are the critters coming in from a distant area. I sure hate those surprise approaches when we were calling from heavy cover areas.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanIt is amazing how many people think that ecallers are so much better than hand calls.

When it comes to howlers, nothing is better than hand calls.

That's the secret discovered by experience.

Back