I need a do all load for the 243 winchester

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGHow about the new high BC 90gr Sierra Gamechanger?

I’ve tried the 6.5 130 in 2 custom rifles so far and I’m not impressed.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanOriginally Posted By: marco85gr Speer BTSP!!! 46gr RE19!
It would be interesting to hear from some of the California boys and how their 80g tipped tripple shocks are doing on coyotes. I worked up a load with them and never killed anything with it.

I couldn't get the TTSX's to group well out of my 10 twist so I moved on to the below bullets and see no need to look elsewhere.

I did shoot 3 coyotes with the TTSX's and they were all DRT's.

https://www.cavitybackbullets.com/product-p/cb-mkz-6mm-.243-92.htm

Look no further!

These bullets are DEVASTATING!!!

Last edited:
seebass did you start at 0.050 off the lands with the TTSX ? they shoot better with a jump to the rifling.

I don't the the game changer would stabilize in my 10 twist. has anybody had any luck with 4166 in the weights I'm considering? I have a lb. and forgot aboutnit.

Originally Posted By: Bearseebass did you start at 0.050 off the lands with the TTSX ? they shoot better with a jump to the rifling.

Yes I did. I actually went through 2 boxes of TTSX's trying different lengths and charges. Nothing worked. So I finally did 3 shots each over a mid weight charge and started at 2.71". I went .05" deeper until I was at the ogive which was right at 2.54". Nothing grouped.

In the end I just figured my barrel was one of those that doesn't like heavier "tipped" bullets.

The non tipped 92g Cavity Backs work GREAT out of my 10 twist. 3 different loads all at 2.71" clover leaf.

The 58g VMax shoots great out of my rifle and those are tipped. That's where I get my idea that I have a barrel that doesn't like tips.

So many good options with the 243 and 80-85ish gr bullets are right there in that sweet spot of having good velocity for flat shooting/accuracy AND awesome killing power.
The 87 vmax has surprised me as it does not explode quite like the lighter versions, at least not at the 2950 velocity I'm running it. I read several reports of it passing completely through good size deer while producing solid exit wounds from other hunters as well. It's got a great BC (.40) that makes it good for target shooting at longer ranges too. I've been happy with it for my do-all load right now. If it's for targets and coyote mainly but also a few deer this is gonna hard to beat.

Now if deer is the primary focus and coyote/targets secondary then As others before me have mentioned the 85gr Sierra hp is a legend among dual use bullets and it's got Sierra accuracy on it's side, only negative is Sierra prices are higher. The 85gr speer btsp is cheap and has a good bc too which is nice when you wanna target shoot out there at long range. Could also throw the 90gr Nosler BT in here as well, any of these 3 is gonna be an excellent pick, maybe just go with the one you can get easiest assuming your rifle shoots it well.

Then there's the new .490 bc 90gr Sierra game changer. Super expensive at $29 a box but given Sierras rep I'm sure it will shoot like a match bullet and kill like a gameking and that's a good thing!!!

I need to get a load for my daughters to start deer hunting with my 243. Any reason not to go with the 85gr Sierra hpbt game king in a short 18" 243?

That sounds good to me. Varget or IMR 4350 or IMR 4064 should all work fine for you. 37-38 grains of Varget worked good in my gun with that bullet.

An 18" tube will be a bit noisy so dont you or your girls forget your ear plugs.

I was thinking Varget or H4350, those are the common powders I have on hand. It'll be suppressed, but they'll always have ear protection on. I do need to find them their own rifle in the near future or maybe a youth stock for mine.

Curious as to what distances you guys are shooting deer w/ the 85g class bullets. I have not experienced the 'DRT', you guys talk about. I have not lost a critter, but have always found them down, at the end of the track. All hits have been good, solid, behind the shoulder hits.
My luck has been much better w/ the 100g bullets.

The Hornady BTSP 100gr Interlock with IMR4350 will get it done in a 22" Winchester 70. Been using it for years for deer, my grandson shot one few yrs back 260 yds took out top of lungs, good exit wound ran maby 25yds. This bullet shoots well in all 243's I have ever seen and packs a punch when she gets there.

Rusty what kind of MV you getting with Varget? I tried H4350 but my rifle didn't like it. I might have found a good load with h4831sc but I want to give Varget a shot

after loading up some 85 gr seirra with 4166, rl19, and rl15, I've only found 2 load that's .75 moa or better for 4 shot groups. the rifle is a weatherby vangaurd series 2, full glass and pillar bedded into a grs stock. the scope is one known to perform.

the rifle didnt like the rl powders at all. 4166 was marginal. It had a great velocity plateau at 38-39 gr at 3150 + or minus 20 fps. group size all 1.25 at 30 thou off the lands. I went in the middle at 38.5 and started moving closer to the lands watching for pressure signs. at 15 thou off I had a great shooting load
all 4 touching, probably slightly under .5moa. the pressure increased some as well as velocity. 3200

to me this load seems really finicky, if something is off just a little it's back to 1.25. would you guys look for a load that's more stable, or work up another powder?

Back