brass pecking order

danno in va

A NIB Rem 700 Classic in 7-08 followed me home from a local show this weekend, and I'm wondering about which brand of brass to get. I'd like it to be good enough quality as not to need prepping.

Thinking that Lapua is pretty much top of the heap and maybe Norma second, but which brands are next in line and won't need neck turning, etc? I've encountered 700 classics with oversized chambers, so is it worth the money to go first class on such a factory rifle?

I made my 7-08 brass from 308 Lapua. It was a little more work involved but its good brass that lasts a long time. Mine is a hunting rifle with a custom barrel, but not a competitive rifle so the brass will last. Nosler brass isn't to bad either and maybe a little cheaper than Lapua and Norma.

Dan, don't bother with anything other than Lapua if you want zero prep work. I would neck size as a way to be sure of uniformity.

We have shot Rem Brass forever.

Our loads in 700's that knock deer flat

130g speer btsp
42g of imr 4895
rem 9 1/2
Touch the lands or .003 off the lands
Expect small groups at 3000 fps

We hunt in a jungle, so DRT deer are very important to us.

There have been a lot of souls converted to this load in various deer clubs, many. We have used this load to 350 yards shooting down long dirt roads in the lower part of the state.

Good luck!~

Ps. all we ever did to new Remington was neck size, chamfer inside of neck, nothing else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanDan, don't bother with anything other than Lapua if you want zero prep work.

100% agree with!

Norma brass is good too, it just won't take quite the abuse Lapua brass will.

Most of Nosler's brass is made for them by Norma. The Nosler brass you buy that comes in the box, not the stuff in the bags, is VERY uniformed and I think they may even weight sort it, but because it's Norma brass, the case heads are a little softer than the Lapua brass and it's not quite as tough.

All good responses and appreciated. A few comments:

If this Rem 700 chamber is oversized much, the thickest brass may be in order - which could be another reason to consider Lapua. Or necking down .308 brass is if it's thicker.

While the .17 Rem cartridge may be a different animal, I've found that neck turning brought the group size down from .7" to .4" at 100 yds with the same brass in my rifle. It could be the 7mm-08 is more forgiving.

Where does Hornady brass fit in to the pecking order of Lapua, etc?

Thanks very much for sharing the load data. I'm thinking to use a plastic tipped bullet this go round.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: danno in vaAll good responses and appreciated. A few comments:

If this Rem 700 chamber is oversized much, the thickest brass may be in order - which could be another reason to consider Lapua. Or necking down .308 brass is if it's thicker.

While the .17 Rem cartridge may be a different animal, I've found that neck turning brought the group size down from .7" to .4" at 100 yds with the same brass in my rifle. It could be the 7mm-08 is more forgiving.

Where does Hornady brass fit in to the pecking order of Lapua, etc?

Thanks very much for sharing the load data. I'm thinking to use a plastic tipped bullet this go round.

Lapua brass is not necessarily thicker as far as outside dimensions but thicker in the sense that the inside dimensions/volume is less.

There's a couple new players in the brass market that are producing top notch brass too.

I've been told by a couple different gunsmiths that have personally used ADG brass it's as good as Lapua. I have heard nothing but good about AlphaMunitions brass as well.

That's interesting to hear that Lapua necks aren't necessarily the thickest, but not turning to clean up the neck might account for a little thickness compared to others. i guess what i need to ask is: Which brass has the thickest in the neck?

ADG and AlphaMunitions is new to me. Thanks.

Bob, i watched the video and learned some things. Thanks very much for the link.

Went with some Lapua on sale. All contributions were helpful and appreciated.

Ackleyman, the Speer 130's are in short supply with 2 boxes on the way and will start with H4895.

Back