Need help TC Icon rifle build.

farmerbob

Hey Guys,
Need a little help. I have a couple Thompson Center Icon rifles and really like them. For some reason I thought it would be a good Idea to buy one to do a build. Well not really a full build. I love the Icon action. It has three lugs that fit into an aluminum bedding block in the stock, detachable magazine and the weaver rail is machined into the action. What's not too like.
Anyway, I am plannining on buying a Proof Research barrel (I can get one for a good price). I just need some suggestions on who to send it to to install the barrel. I could have my local guy do it, but I don't want to take a chance. I need someone good that won't charge me too much. Needs to be chambered and the muzzle cut, crowned and threaded
Any suggustions on who I could send it to?

The cut/crown/chamber is just like any other bbl and then it's just got to be installed. I'd think you should be able to find a Smith qualified to do it pretty easy.
I'm curious what cartridge and profile are you wanting?

On the Accurate Shooter forum, there's a guy that goes by Skeetlee. He's a new up and coming smith and rumors are he does pretty darn good work. No idea what he charges though. I think there are several good smiths here also, they just don't advertise their work here.

Thanks for the info. Probably going with 6.5 creed or .243. I've avoided getting one because I don't want to be a me too. I've owned 6.5 grendels for several years and love them, and have a little of everything else. I just want someone I can trust that can do a good job. I'm planning on doing the stock work myself.

Some of the best gunsmiths work out of their garage and most people have never heard of them. Just because you pay big money for a big name smith doesn't always guarantee an accurate rifle.Look at some of the rifles your local smith has built. You might have who your looking for in your home town.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogLots of good 6 and 6.5 calibers without going Creedmoor.

The only thing sillier than the Creedmoor fanaticism are those who dislike them only because of the name.....

Originally Posted By: liliysdadOriginally Posted By: pyscodogLots of good 6 and 6.5 calibers without going Creedmoor.

The only thing sillier than the Creedmoor fanaticism are those who dislike them only because of the name.....

Amen! LOL

Back