Coyote Vs Turkey on my trail cam

photohunter

Thought this was cool and figured some of you might appreciate this. Coyote decided to kill a turkey right in front of my camera:

Maybe I haven't been here long enough to be able to link to youtube? Sorry... the link works though....

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool video, them turkey feathers would be a good decoy for your cat calling adventures.
thumbup1.gif

That’s a great video. Really shows how nervous coyotes are. Is that close to where it would be hearing human noises...? It was looking around like it was sensing someone or something approaching. Or is that just normal behavior after the kill something.

Yeah I wasn't the seasoned predator caller that I am now when I got this video a couple months ago. haha. Didn't think to gather feathers. I stumbled on another kill site just the other day and gathered enough feathers for a couple bobcat decoys.

True that on the nervous thing... can you imagine having to be that stressed out every time you were eating?

Couple notes: yes on the potential noises... this is like 200 feet from my house... down a hill and across a creek. And the creek is like 40 feet out of the left side of the frame in this video. I'm assuming that's why it left for a minute... dealing with some cottonmouth, no doubt. It potentially could have heard a vehicle on a paved road like 200 yards away, basically behind the camera.

Camera was set to take 30 second videos and break for 5 seconds before the next vid. This particular camera seems to pick up motion a little late when it's on video mode. If something is trotting by, it's half way through the frame before it kicks on. Photos seem to crack off faster.

Last edited:
Nice video! Despite the hunting store gossips, coyotes aren't great turkey hunters. I was fortunate to witness a coyote grab a jake once. It was turkey season and I was set up in the corner of a field calling and this jake was responding. Young gobbler was walking maybe ten yards from the edge of the woods down the field toward me with his attention directed at me. Big coyote blasted out of the woods and hit that jake like a linebacker. There was a flurry of grass, dust, feathers and whirling fur and within thirty seconds the coyote was trotting back inside the woods with his prize. That was a rare thing to see. Coyotes are willing to turkey hunt, they respond to turkey calls often. It's just that their hunting style isn't the best for gobbler grabbing. Bobcats on the other hand...

Hope you get him. Another reason I hate coyotes but I respect them. Just trying to survive. That’s Mother Nature. That’s why I hunt them.

I embedded your video. It is real simple to do. When you share it, choose "Embed" and copy that code. Shown below;

Then paste the embed code in your post. When you are ready to post it make sure you use HTML and UBBCode, screen shot shown below;

Nice video

Originally Posted By: GCNice video! Despite the hunting store gossips, coyotes aren't great turkey hunters. I was fortunate to witness a coyote grab a jake once. It was turkey season and I was set up in the corner of a field calling and this jake was responding. Young gobbler was walking maybe ten yards from the edge of the woods down the field toward me with his attention directed at me. Big coyote blasted out of the woods and hit that jake like a linebacker. There was a flurry of grass, dust, feathers and whirling fur and within thirty seconds the coyote was trotting back inside the woods with his prize. That was a rare thing to see. Coyotes are willing to turkey hunt, they respond to turkey calls often. It's just that their hunting style isn't the best for gobbler grabbing. Bobcats on the other hand...

I have never seen a coyote take a turkey but I have seen them trot by a flock and get within prolly 40 or 50 yards. A lot would think the turkeys would all freak out and run or fly but they just got real alert and watched him stroll on by. I'm sure if he was running straight at them it would have been different. I have seen similar reactions with deer and cattle, sometimes they run, sometimes it's like they read body language and are more tolerant to their presence.

A lot prolly won't believe this, when I was a kid I was deer hunting over a feeder. It was getting dark and a group of coons showed up. I remember one kinda set up and sniffed the air and then lunged at a clump of weeds and chased off a bobcat I did not know was there. I am sure if that cat wanted to it could have shredded that coon. A lot would not believe that I have called in jackrabbits with rabbit distress even after starting a stand with coyote vocals...

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762I embedded your video. It is real simple to do. When you share it, choose "Embed" and copy that code. Shown below;

Copy that, thanks.

Quote:And the creek is like 40 feet out of the left side of the frame in this video. I'm assuming that's why it left for a minute...dealing with some cottonmouth...

^^^^^^Nope VVVVVVVV Went to wash the feathers out of his mouth.
lol.gif
That is a great video; excellent quality for a trail cam, thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotthe coyote sure dont like all those feathers getting stuck in its mouth. lol

neat video.

Regards,
hm

If you'd shot that coyote soon enough after his kill you could have had yourself one of those combo bbq specials like turducken. Coyfurkey? Turkyote? Tasty either way!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Big FlounderAwesome video! What trail camera are you using? Been thinking about picking a new one up and really like how clear that footage was.

Browning "strike force HD" model BTC-5HD

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Originally Posted By: GCNice video! Despite the hunting store gossips, coyotes aren't great turkey hunters. I was fortunate to witness a coyote grab a jake once. It was turkey season and I was set up in the corner of a field calling and this jake was responding. Young gobbler was walking maybe ten yards from the edge of the woods down the field toward me with his attention directed at me. Big coyote blasted out of the woods and hit that jake like a linebacker. There was a flurry of grass, dust, feathers and whirling fur and within thirty seconds the coyote was trotting back inside the woods with his prize. That was a rare thing to see. Coyotes are willing to turkey hunt, they respond to turkey calls often. It's just that their hunting style isn't the best for gobbler grabbing. Bobcats on the other hand...

I have never seen a coyote take a turkey but I have seen them trot by a flock and get within prolly 40 or 50 yards. A lot would think the turkeys would all freak out and run or fly but they just got real alert and watched him stroll on by. I'm sure if he was running straight at them it would have been different. I have seen similar reactions with deer and cattle, sometimes they run, sometimes it's like they read body language and are more tolerant to their presence.

A lot prolly won't believe this, when I was a kid I was deer hunting over a feeder. It was getting dark and a group of coons showed up. I remember one kinda set up and sniffed the air and then lunged at a clump of weeds and chased off a bobcat I did not know was there. I am sure if that cat wanted to it could have shredded that coon. A lot would not believe that I have called in jackrabbits with rabbit distress even after starting a stand with coyote vocals...

I don't remember exactly how long ago it was but I snuck up on a group of turkeys on the other side of a row of trees,probably 3 or 4 years ago. There were a few toms and quite a few hens. They were all clucking and seemed nervous. I looked through the trees and saw a big bobcat sneaking along trying to get close to the turkeys. That bobcat helped me get a turkey that day. They never paid me no attention.

The first coyote I ever killed came in to a box call when me and a buddy of mine were out huntin one Spring. My buddy called in a bobcat with the same box call another time. It was close enough I could have threw a rock and hit it. So I know both will seek out turkeys and try to eat them.

I've also had jackrabbits come into a call to check things out so I can believe that. I had a coyote coming into the call a few Winters ago and it stopped all the sudden,turned around and ran back to the milo field it had just came out of. That coyote bounced over the milo and my buddy and I heard a jackrabbit squeal. The coyote left with his rabbit and we packed up and left. I tried to trick that sucker into coming to a fake rabbit and ended up helping it catch a real one. Lucky son of a gun.

Back