Taking the dive into shotshell reloading

Seebass

From the time I started calling coyotes 20 some years ago, I never carried a shotgun on a stand until this past weekend! I took a buddy out on Sunday that uses a 6.8 SPC AR. I always defer the shots to whoever I take out, so I decided to try something different this time. I brought my Win 1300 NWTF 12g out with me! While not the greatest coyote shotgun, it'll do until I can pickup a better model.

It was totally different out there!! And I want MORE!!! Seeing a coyote at 250 yards KNOWING I had to coax it in was an awesome feeling! Even though my buddy shot that particular coyote, I felt something different about that hunt.

So... I took the dive a bought a reloader just now! I also bought some hulls, wads, mylar and some different sized spacers.

I didn't want to pay the Hazmat fee so I'll run to my local shop and pick up some Steel powder in the near future. I'm going to start with some HW13 BB's

Strictly coyote loads for the time being.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures to share in the near future!

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsBallistics Products Inc. has quite a but of supplies and info as far as shotgun reloading.

Thats where I ordered from! Good looking out!

I made the same dive not all that long ago. It's fun!

Coyote loads are all I have done. Which, it turns out, is more like rifle reloading than reloading bird shot or trap loads. I weigh and hand pour the powder, put the wads/mylar in by hand, weigh and pour the shot by hand. Since I always start with brand new, primed hulls for coyote loads, the only thing my press has ever actually been used for is crimping.

I have been too busy to breath the last couple of months. But, soon as I can catch a breath, I need to load up ammo for the coming season. Looking forward to it! Both the loading and the shooting
laugh.gif

- DAA

One thing I have noticed reloading my own coyote shotgun shells, when I reload five to ten times more shells than I shoot each year I am not saving any money. LOL

But I do get to shoot the loads I want to shoot and most of them are much better coyote loads than I could buy.

Be sure to pattern that gun at about 30-40 yards with different sized shot. Also mark an aiming point on the target which could be a big black dot on a sheet of freezer paper taped to a large cardboard box. Note where the center of the pattern is relative to your point of aim. You'd be surprised how far off a shotgun can shoot from where you thought you were aiming. I load #4 buck for coyotes but have yet to shoot at one with it. I found that different shotguns and chokes handle the same load differently. I wouldn't go larger than #4 buck or smaller than BBs. Copper BBs would be better than uncoated BBs as they slip through fur better. 4-6" of penetration is minimum to reliably roll them. I try to put the call or decoy out at shotgun range so I can automatically range the coyote.

This morning I placed my order for 10lbs of HW13 BB’s from Bucks Run Sports/RSI. Should be here by Thursday!

$235+ shipping 😳 🤯

Cant wait!!

My state has not banned lead outright so my ‘ote meds are 4 buck lead. No one has more support for scatter guns than Ballistic Products.

Three44s

Back