For guys maybe loking for a 17 Remington,,,,

JLJ223

Was surfing through Grab a Guns site last night and seen they have CZ 527 Varmints in stock for $662 brand new, seems I remember some folks wondering when CZ was going to get around to producing some more 17 Rems so I thought I would share, I have dealt with Grab a Gun before and they are GTG.

I think I saw last night there was a guy on 24hourcampfire also selling one for $600 and you could add a 4-12 vx-ii for $800 for the package.

That sounds like a good deal, GAG will also ship for free if you put something in your cart and leave it for a few days, I guess they get antsy on the sale and offer free shipping, I always do that just to save as much as I can.

Originally Posted By: JLJ223That sounds like a good deal, GAG will also ship for free if you put something in your cart and leave it for a few days, I guess they get antsy on the sale and offer free shipping, I always do that just to save as much as I can.

Sheesh.....Their standard shipping charge for firearms is only $7.99 and their prices are rock bottom......You're cheaper than I am and I didn't think that was possible.
smile.gif

Sometime about 12-14 years ago when I found out that CZ was going to start making their 527 Varmint in .17 Rem I had my dealer order me one. Just as pretty as could be and shot oh so very good. The first year that I took it prairie dog hunting I was bang popping a herd of those varmints. All were in the 250-300 yard range. Shooting companion came over and had a go with it and said "Man! How is is possible to miss with this thing?" and he was right. Put the 20X Leupold on him and press that set trigger and he was toast. One of the best several moments I had. Sure was happy that I did not leave that gun home. Never left it home after that trip you can bet.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: JLJ223That sounds like a good deal, GAG will also ship for free if you put something in your cart and leave it for a few days, I guess they get antsy on the sale and offer free shipping, I always do that just to save as much as I can.

Sheesh.....Their standard shipping charge for firearms is only $7.99 and their prices are rock bottom......You're cheaper than I am and I didn't think that was possible.
smile.gif
Yeah I guess I cant argue that lol.

I bought one used year before last,CZ 527 17 Remington. That was only after I bought a 17 Hornet CZ from the same guy.
I was really impressed and happy with the 17 HH. I read up on it a bunch before I reloaded for it. Bought a few pounds of powder to try, my mistake. I went with H4198and 20 grain Vmax,looked no farther. I forget the speed,not full blown top end but the accuracy was way over the top of any factory ammo I had tried.

I entered the 17 Remington in a doubtful way. Heck all the gun rags I ever read on the cartridge, claimed they were cleaning it more than shooting it. Accuracy was so so as well. I did a Wipe Out job on it before I ever fired it, it was pretty clean and he told me he only ran maybe 30-50 rounds through, I believe him. Talked to LeRoy,aka silver fox and a few others. I did very little load work, once again chased accuracy first and speed second. 25 grain Vmax is all I tried other than some 20'grain factory. Shot it in some steady winds of 20-25mph a day and a half. All four of us on that hunt were very happy to say the least. Wind didn't bother it any worse than say a 55-60's grain bullet from a 223 or 22-250. I ran at a slow rate about 40 rounds before I decided it needed cleaning. The next day I ran a different powder,CFE223. I went the full day with no issues of any kind of fouling. Cleaned that night at motel and it was easier than the first night.

So I have been bitten pretty hard by the 17 bug. Chasing down a doaner Savage action for a 17 Remington build. I lucked into a fair bit of 17 Remington stuff, but I am still tossing around the thoughts of a 17-223 or 17Remington AI. Kind of wishy washy on a 17-204.

My goal is to at least equal the CZ 17 Remington, the savage build will replace it.

Tinkering with the 17WSM as well. If it will shoot no worse than MOA, it will replace the 17 Hornet. Seems like I loose a lot of Hornet brass for some reason.

Gonna clone B23's Bmag set up I hope.

Jeff

A few short years ago, DoubleUp and I both purchased the CZ Varmint 17 Rem rifles from the same vendor. We put the rifles into action on coyotes in short order and both experienced just how well they anchor them, with such a tiny hole in and no exits.

My rifle is wonderfully accurate with 25 gr. Hornady HPs. My smallest 3-shot group went .240" at 94 yards. Shooting in the .3s and .4s is pretty much common.

Good to hear CZ has resumed production.

I'd have to buy a hs stock for it and I'd be out another four bills. Didn't CZ use to offer them in a hs stock?

I had a limited run rem 700 stainless varmint with a hs stock years Go. I shot it a few times and the small diameter bullets didn't appeal to me. If It was a light walking rifle it would have kept it.

Last edited:
Back