New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right on, thanks. Definitely will get that package from rain shadow's site.
Holy smokes, you went through it... Nice work. Here's hoping for no broken ribs or equipment... 9 months would be awesome though, you got it done relatively quickly, considering.

Very torn on a blind. I get it, but the restriction may outweigh the benefits for me. I may try it to see how I feel about it. as a photographer I have done the motionless hour+ many times... Never for something as shy as a cougar, but still... Not completely ignorant about it. I've had a turkey peck my foot.

Can you explain your reasoning on the ineffectiveness of a decoy for a lion?

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Catdog1Personally if you decide to buy a Foxpro I would just buy the decoy that goes with it that would be the easiest thing. Other than that just a couple wings from an owl or a hawk on some string will work

Do you prefer hawk wings, or owl wings?

either or. Just whatever i can come across from a dead one on the side of the road.

Ok.
Does the US Fish and Wildlife Service make exemptions for possession of parts of road-killed federally protected raptors?

im permitted to posses them.

Would you mind sharing the details of your exemption?
. it's not an exemption.... it's a permit.
That's about all the detail i can share.

Last edited:
some native americans(indians) are allowed to possess feathers and other various parts of federally protected raptors for use in religious ceremonies.

BUT, to obtain eagle, hawk, owl, falcon, etc feathers for religious ceremonies, native americans can’t just go out and collect their own feathers. they must get them through a federal repository.

seems somebody is breaking the law and is giving out some terrible advice here.

funny story. was at a flea market a few years back. on a table were a pair of dried hawk legs complete with toes and talons. i picked up the pair of feet and asked the lady behind the table if she knew they were illegal to possess and were damm sure not legal to be selling.

she replied that she was native american and she could possess them and sell them.

i told her i knew a wildlife officer and i was going to go call him to come down to have a look.

you would not believe how fast those 2 feet were snatched up and put in a box under the table. lol

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot

seems somebody is breaking the law and is giving out some terrible advice here.

Wrong.... just because you don't know everything does not mean that I don't have a permit to possess them which I do.

Native Americans are not the only people in the world that can submit an application for a permit to possess hawk or owl feathers or eagle feathers

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotfunny story. was at a flea market a few years back. on a table were a pair of dried hawk legs complete with toes and talons. i picked up the pair of feet and asked the lady behind the table if she knew they were illegal to possess and were damm sure not legal to be selling.

she replied that she was native american and she could possess them and sell them.

i told her i knew a wildlife officer and i was going to go call him to come down to have a look.

you would not believe how fast those 2 feet were snatched up and put in a box under the table. lol funny story, I called you out on a different thread and all I've heard so far is crickets. What happened did the cat get your tongue? Tell us about all those trophies that you've won

called me out? all you did was claim you knew something about turds from a guy named erik. you some kind of turd expert?

where did i say i won all those trophies? your reading comprehension needs some refinement.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1
Native Americans are not the only people in the world that can submit an application for a permit to possess hawk or owl feathers or eagle feathers

yeah, sure, ok. you are *special*. you can go around cutting wings off of road killed eagles, hawks and owls.

yeah, sure, special indeed.

for you people that are not *special*, please do not do this.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Catdog1

yeah, sure, ok. you are *special*. you can go around cutting wings off of road killed eagles, hawks and owls.

yeah, sure, special indeed.

for you people that are not *special*, please do not do this. it's got nothing to do with being special... all it has to do with is I submitted the proper application and was awarded a permit... simple as that sorry you're so butt hurt over that

Last edited:
Why is it every forum has got a couple know it alls like this....some washed out guy in his 70s thinks he knows everything because he can use a keyboard....trying to play johnnie cop/game ranger at the flea market...lol

A high percentage of the time guys like this are lying out of their teeth about 99% of the things they claim.

They always seem to have an extremely high post count... make comments on topics that aren't even relevant.

Normally smart mouthed and think they own the Forum.
When they really get butt hurt they're the first to go whining to the moderator to try to get you banned.

The fact he hangs out at flea markets says all i need to know about him...bwahahaha
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Last edited:
Photo hunter, about a decoy it is just my opinion it wouldn't be very effective. I actually felt when I first started calling them in December, I almost felt an urgentcy about getting some kind of a decoy and then as I went on the thought went away.

Maybe there are those who have a strong opinion about decoys on lions and have had experience with it. Heck maybe in all my calling I would have killed one in 2 months with a decoy instead of 8-9 months without?

As far as a blind. If you're on the move it won't be effective when you're putting it up will notify everything in the area, "Het!here I am". But if you know an area where they frequently hang out, put up your blind and leave it. Slip into it every so often and it may give you a big advantage

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Catdog1Personally if you decide to buy a Foxpro I would just buy the decoy that goes with it that would be the easiest thing. Other than that just a couple wings from an owl or a hawk on some string will work

Do you prefer hawk wings, or owl wings?

either or. Just whatever i can come across from a dead one on the side of the road.

Ok.
Does the US Fish and Wildlife Service make exemptions for possession of parts of road-killed federally protected raptors?

im permitted to posses them.

Would you mind sharing the details of your exemption?
. it's not an exemption.... it's a permit.
That's about all the detail i can share.

I would like to have one of those permits before bobcat season so I could legally use hawk and owl wings as decoys at my calling setup.

What is the name of the permit? Is the application online where it can be printed off? What office does it need to be submitted to, and is there a fee?

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Just Google predatory bird permitt USFW

I’ve Googled until I’m tired of Googling and all I can find is falconry and education related permits.
Could you just give me the name from the top of your permit that allows you to legally pick up road-killed hawk and owl parts and use them as attractors and decoys while you are hunting.
It would sure save me some time.

Originally Posted By: fw707
Could you just give me the name from the top of your permit that allows you to legally pick up road-killed hawk and owl parts and use them as attractors and decoys while you are hunting.
It would sure save me some time.

you will never get one of those permits. it is a very special permit for very special people. yes indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back