Going on record... it begins...

photohunter

OK, new kid here. I'm a photographer. I'm 41 years old and I've been "looking" for the Mountain-Lion-in-the-wild bucket list photo for a few years now. "Looking" but not "hunting." I'm finally getting serious enough to get some gear and dive into the world of predator calling. I figure my best chance of getting a shot at one of these critters is by learning from you folks. Hopefully I can share some sweet pics here someday (assuming I can figure out how to post them...haha).

so if you see me lurking around, that's what I'm up to. Just wanted to say hi, and thanks for all the awesome info around here.

First question: how much "foxpro" do I really need? I live in the woods of far northern California and I get bobcats and mountain lions on trail cams on my property...pretty regularly. Mountain lions seem to be thick around here, everyone has seen one but me. And we can't hunt them, because California.... I've seen several bobcats over the years in my local woods... never seen a cougar. I'm sure they've seen me...... but that's the two critters I'd really like to target. Specifically, I just gotta see a mountain lion in the wild. Preferably at like 50 yards, posing for my lens for 15 minutes. ha. It kills me to have trail camera video of them 150 feet from my house, but yet I've never even seen one. Crazy stealth cats. So basically, what's the least I can spend on a good call and have a decent chance at calling a cat?

PS my avatar pic was in captivity. Doesn't count.

Last edited:
How much fox pro do you need? Hard question to answer but all things considered I would say you probably couldn't go wrong with a Banshee. Not super expensive but not their least expensive caller either. Any Foxpro will do the trick really. Good luck. I am getting to the point where I almost like photographing them as much as I do shooting them. Some people might think that is a bad thing as you are just educating the critters but if you are doing this on your own property who cares. Post some photos when you can!

Give a shout to Rainshadow1 here on PM he has done a lot of work developing sounds for calling Mountian lions. He used to do seminars, I've attended one.

rainshadow1

Back