OK, Time for a Stupid Question

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsWe did sight in our M16A2 at 25 meters. The way the rear sight was calibrated (elevation markings) and which peep was used (small/large) would then get you MOH to 300 meters. I remember zeroing, moving the rear one click and being sent to qualify.

MOH= minute of human, which in my case was a little green man from 50 to 300 meters.

BATTLESIGHT ZERO...

On, at 100yds, w/ a 27yd "0", is relative. If one is looking for 'minute of deer', it might be just fine. Unfortunately, many are not concerned about MOA accuracy.

Sited in at 25 yards will get you on paper at 100 yards with most conventional hunting rifles and sight combinations.

As GC stated, the described method is referred to as Battlesight Zero with the standard 20" M-16 rifle sights. During the 1970's at the start of the first Arab/Israeli War, some of the plane loads of M-16 rifles hastily sent to the the Israelis had the sights initially calibrated in this manner during the flights by Army technicians. Once in Israeli hands, they were immediately put into combat use and were found to be "combat accurate" at extended ranges in the desert versus the Saudis and the Syrians.

Anyone who hunts at extended distances beyond 100 yards needs to shoot the rifle used to know where its actually hitting at those ranges. A rifle sited to impact roughly 1.5" above point of aim on a target at 100 yards will usually allow you to hit an animal at normal reasonable hunting/extended ranges unless you're into extreme long range hunting. Then twisting nobs, etc. and actually shooting at those extreme extended ranges again is the ony way to really know.

No matter what range is being hunted at, shooting the rifle is the only real way to know where you will be hitting.

The best is watching someone "zero" at 25 yards(CENTER OF THE GROUP ALMOST ALWAYS NOT THE CENTER OF BULLEYE) Target goes out to 100 yards and they wonder why the poi is right or left,up or down "alot more than at 25". Most are happy with close no matter the distance. Gravity always rears it's ugly head on sight in days, when you start to explain how the sight works to path of the bullet.

Back in the day when Bushmaster was Bushmaster. They made a target to sight in their standard rifle.
The target was printed with the picture of the iron sights over laid on the target And instruction on how to use the target to sight in the iron sight on their rifles.
I used them to help local LEO's to sight their rifles. They used 25 yards as the sight in range. You will not understand this but I will try.
"What button does it matter" You had to be there at 29 Palms.

Back