#17 (confirmed) + #18 for sure

Yellowhammer

Staff member
I shot a big boar weekend before last, but the weeds were high and I must have hit him high. I got blood but couldnt find him in the thick stuff so I don't count him since I only count "confirmed" body count.

Went this morning and knocked this sow down with the Creedmoor for #17. Ran into some more at my other stand but no shot at them.

They pretty much destroyed the food plots I planted last weekend, so I have a grudge now.

30827415828_823986534a_z_d.jpg

29760743477_07a35bf38a_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
Not much doubt that he died, it is a shame that we can't recover all of them. But you still did the Land Owner a great service by taking out another Breeder.

Went back yesterday evening. A soon as I got the stand it started raining for about 30 minutes. Feeder went off at right after it stopped and the sun came out sweltering hot!

Then a big boar came out between me and the feeder and was walking away from me before I even saw him. He turned left like he was going to just cross and not go to the feeder so I hurried and shot. He dropped, but kicked around like he was trying to get his feet under him. Sure enough the did and was trying to go back right. I shot again and he dropped again but was still trying to go right into the thicket.

It looked like he dropped right on the edge. A few minutes later I couldn't see him so I got down to look. Yep, laying right on the edge. Got back in stand for about 15 minutes but the heat was terrible. Got down to go inspect him and he was gone! When I got to the edge of the thicket I heard him breaking brush. I went in to find him, but it was so thick I couldn't see him. I did follow blood a little bit and then heard him again. The rain soaked brush had me soaked to the skin and the heat had me sweating so bad I couldn't tell the difference.

The rain also made following the blood harder, not to mention thorn tearing my clothes and ears. Then I stumbled across this dude and I decided I didn't need a picture of this boar that bad.

29801362667_6d79181e1e_z_d.jpg

So, I didn't lay hands on him, but I will call this one #18.

I called Venatic when I got home to talk about the bullets he loaded for the creedmoor.

Turns out the hollowpoints he loaded are really match bullets more suited to target shooting. They definately are passing through as I saw blood on his off shoulder as he was leaving. The other two I killed with the Creedmoor and this bullet were pass throughs as well. So, it appears this bullet is not getting enough expansion to really do the job on big boars as this was the second one I have lost in this same thicket.

We are to going to work up a better load with a hunting bullet.

Tuff Luck, I agree with you I would change to a Hunting Bullet, I don't like to use Match Grade Bullets for Hunting. No Photo of a Hog is worth fighting the Snakes for it.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerTurns out the hollowpoints he loaded are really match bullets more suited to target shooting. They definately are passing through as I saw blood on his off shoulder as he was leaving. The other two I killed with the Creedmoor and this bullet were pass throughs as well. So, it appears this bullet is not getting enough expansion to really do the job on big boars as this was the second one I have lost in this same thicket.

We are to going to work up a better load with a hunting bullet.

In the meantime you might try a box of these 129 grain Hornady Interlocks. I use them for hogs and they have proven to be very effective. A few kills around the 300 yard mark and knocks the runners down hard.

INTERLOCK® BULLETS

InterLock® bullets feature exposed lead tips for controlled expansion and hard-hitting terminal performance. Bullets used in American Whitetail® ammunition feature our pioneering secant ogive design and exclusive InterLock® ring — a raised ring inside the jacket that is embedded in the bullet's core that keeps the core and jacket locked together during expansion to retain mass and energy.

Price is relatively good also at around $15/box.

https://carolinamunitions.com/hornady-81...ml?asaid=as0004

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.5mm-creedmoor

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerI went in to find him, but it was so thick I couldn't see him. I did follow blood a little bit and then heard him again.

I NEVER follow a wounded hog into any place that is so thick I cannot see my surroundings. An old friend of mine tried it one time and came out with his arm sliced open after the hog took him down.

Last edited:
You know how some things just bug you? Like "where the heck did that hog go?" I knew he couldnt have gone far. I went back this morning to try and shoot another one. Saw 2 bucks but no hogs. About 8 I noticed the buzzards moving in. Yep, he didn't get far. I got down to do see. Still took me 30 minutes to find him it was so thick I thought I could spell him. Lots of flies buzzing around. He's hear somewhere. Kept looking in the area of last blood but seemed farther from the spell and no flies buzzing in the direction I though he went.

Back to the smell and flies. Must be that way. Yep, there's a fly covered front leg. Turns out he made a hard 90 degree left from the way he had been going and crossed the draw. He wasn't more than 40 or 50 yards of last blood and not much more than 50 yards from the feeder. I had probably walked within 10 yards of him Sunday evening.

44783493601_9fbb9b35ba_z_d.jpg

To far gone to tell anything about my bullet performance/exact shot placement.

Glad you found him, I know it makes you feel better. I don't follow then into the thick woods, but I do let my Black Mouth Cur Trail Dog and a couple Mt. Curs Trail them.

Back