280 AI?

pyscodog

Going to start working loads for it. Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure its a 10 twist barrel and will be used mainly for Oklahoma Whitetail so I really don't plan on shooting real heavy bullets.

Bought some Nosler brass and a set of Hornady dies today. I loaded 10 rounds of H4831sc and 120 Noslers. That will get the scope dialed in and see if it somewhat likes light bullets. I just used book OAL to start.

The 120's did pretty good this morning. I didn't do any work up, just went to max load and book OAL. Think I'll back off the charge just a tad and stretch the bullet out a little and see what happens.

I am shooting Lapua 30/06 brass formed to 280 AI, neck turned, 55-56g of H4831 with Berger 168g vld hunting, Federal 210's were best(shocked) shoots groups no larger than two bullet holes side by side. There is a 5g spread from 55-60g where the largest group is .400 or a tad better. Gun is a rem 700, non trued, 26" X caliber barrel, #5 taper with a Gentry muzzle break. Groups are less than 1" at 300 yards. 168g Hunting Vld is picky in that it likes to touch the lands in this barrel(PTG Match Reamer).

I would not encourage anyone to go the Lapua 30/06 case route on this cartridge unless you like to tinker as neck turning will be required for extreme accuracy. I am not sure the pay off is there, but I have a flock of once fired lapua brass given to me which is why I chose that route.

Last edited:
My rifle has a 10 twist Hart barrel. I chose the 120 grain bullets mainly because whitetail and a coyote of opportunity will probably be all its used for.

The 120 Noslers shoot decent but as normal for me, not good enough. I've only used H4831SC powder too. Should I try heavier bullets? I choose the 120's because of the speed I could get but I have no problem with a slower more accurate load.

My Krieger barrel on a 700 action I use nosler brass, federal primer, and reloader 22 with the nosler bullet of your choice. The 120 ballistic tip is too hard on meat. 150 grain is ok...the accubond is way better. I tried other bullets and powder, nothing compared to R22 and nosler in my 280 Ackley

Last edited:
Went to the local reloading shop and the only 140 AB's were loaded ammo at $52 a box. Had to pass on them. May have to order some.

I tried the Berger 168grain VLD-H today and had good results. I've never use the Bergers for a large game round but I hear they work good. Any of you use the VLD-H for deer? I think Tim N. said he uses them.

I'm going to be using the 180gr in my 7mm RM for deer this year, no reservations. I shot one into his art 100yards, muzzle velocity of 2920, and it retained 45% of its weight and was found in the 5th jug. The eld-m didn't make it out of the third jug with no large bullet recovered. Doesn't hurt that I consistently get .5 MOA or better out of it. Last trip to the range gave me a 1.2" group at 300 and a 1" group at 450 yards.

The hollow points on the bergers need to be opened up a little to be reliable. This is easily done with a simple pin drill. I have seen these bullets pencil right through an animal with out opening up and fragmenting. Entrance hole and exit hole have been identical. My thinking is, is that the tips on these bullets are jagged and can pinch closed on occasion not allowing then to open up. Opening them up slightly will insure proper expansion and fragmentation.

FWIW I have never like the Sierra MK's as a hunting bullet for the same reason but the tipped MK's are a very good performing bullet. The tip insures that it opens and fragments properly. Berger should do the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThatguySHMI'm going to be using the 180gr in my 7mm RM for deer this year, no reservations. I shot one into his art 100yards, muzzle velocity of 2920, and it retained 45% of its weight and was found in the 5th jug. The eld-m didn't make it out of the third jug with no large bullet recovered. Doesn't hurt that I consistently get .5 MOA or better out of it. Last trip to the range gave me a 1.2" group at 300 and a 1" group at 450 yards.

I know I'm going to regret asking this.........but where are the "jugs" on a deer?
unsure.gif

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: ThatguySHMI'm going to be using the 180gr in my 7mm RM for deer this year, no reservations. I shot one into his art 100yards, muzzle velocity of 2920, and it retained 45% of its weight and was found in the 5th jug. The eld-m didn't make it out of the third jug with no large bullet recovered. Doesn't hurt that I consistently get .5 MOA or better out of it. Last trip to the range gave me a 1.2" group at 300 and a 1" group at 450 yards.

I know I'm going to regret asking this.........but where are the "jugs" on a deer?
unsure.gif

who cares about the jugs. i want to hear more about this rifle that groups better at 450 yards than it does at 300. 1" at 450 no less.

that is amazing and i want one.
thumbup1.gif

ps. he might be trying to say "water jugs". just a guess, but it makes more sense that deer jugs.

Last edited:
Back