Ithaca deerslayer question

CB23

So I inherited my grandpas Ithaca deerslayer. I was trying to find out more about it and couldn’t find much. Hopefully one of you can help me out.

Serial number is MAG 870011115 stamped on the side of the receiver just above the barrel.

Barrel says
DEERSLAYER
M-87 featherlight chamber for 2 3/4 & 3 12GA proof tested
Ithaca gun, Ithaca N.Y., made in USA roto forged.

Just wondering the year it was made and such, if anyone has one, what shells it may like. It came with some old BRI sabot slugs that have to be quite old (sticker price on them says $4.95) have 15 left.

Swift 3X-9X-40 scope

Check to see if it's rifled or smooth bore. If it's smooth bore then it will most likely shoot traditional lead slugs significantly better than sabots. If it's rifled then sabots will work good as well.

This may be obvious but not fur friendly
smile.gif

I was shooting clay pigeons with my Ithaca Model 37 feather weight this past weekend.

One of the most accurate slug guns I ever seen was a Ithaca deerslayer in 20ga. The old BRI slugs were some of the best of the early sabots, IMHO. I think Winchester ended up buying BRI or something, because I know that BRI disappeared and Winchester sabot boxes said "BRI technology" on them for a few years. Some of the newer sabot slugs are probably better but you won't get them for a buck apiece.

Thanks for the info guys! i always know to ask this forum whenever I have a question. I knew it was post 87 but wasn’t sure after that. It does have a rifled barrel so I figure I’ll sight it in with the shells I have and use them this deer season. Next summer I’ll find out what ammo that’s still in production that she likes. Shot 3 rounds today just at a tree in the yard that I plan to cut down soon. Just sprayed a bright orange dot. All 3 shots were about 2 inches low but all 3 were within a half inch of each other. I’ll get a real target set up this weekend and see how she does at 50 and 100 and get it sighted in. Should leave me with at least a box of shells for deer season.

Anyone know much on Swift scopes?

Def not fur friendly, you’re right haha. I’ll stick with my Tikka 223 For the dogs.

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsSounds like a fine family heirloom to me.
+1
My father hunts with one and shes's a shooter! I'm in no hurry to inherit it but I will someday.... FAR in the future hopefully

CB23, the Swift 3x9 excellent scope, as well as the 4x. My son and I have them on Knight 50 cal...since the 80's so the 3x9x40 probably same one you have. Best I remember, Hill's in Raleigh N.C. had them for less than $100 and lifetime guarantee. My 4x just as clear as day I bought it.

Sounds like your grandfather left you a nice shotgun and I'm sure you'll appreciate hunting with a gun that's been handed down like that.

Now if it were me I'd take full advantage of that rifled bbl and the more modern slug technology, I'd have to see how the Accutips or maybe Fed trophy coppers shot in it as IMO they shoot much flatter for further and the terminal performance is pretty amazing compared to the older lead slugs, I'd bet one of those 2 will shoot as good or better than the ones you have. IIRC the BRI has a MV around 1450 where the 2 I mentioned are closer to 1900-2000fps and they will both expand dramatically where the bri will punch straight through with little if any expansion.
Obviously the bri slugs will do the job but the modern sabots are just flat out awesome Makes tracking pretty easy!YmMV & good luck

Last edited:
Back