Crow hunting with rifle?

i also use the above decoy box i have a few crow skins ive skinned out and cured. i spread one of them on a wire frame decoy and let it jump i also put 2 or 3 fixed decoys around. i give the crows a fit from about 75-100 yrds with my 19 calhoon or sometimes if background is good i use my ar15. tks ken

I normally use a 12 gauge, but for the last few weeks I have been sniping them via 22LR scoped rifle over unvisited coyote bait sets (with a few ears of corn tossed around),

and the tree-top sentry lurkers..

This time of year their behavior changes, whether it be due to change of season or mating about to begin - they are warier than ever.

We have 2 weekends left here in Pa - then season closes to Sept.

typical setup:

OLEYCROWSET.jpg

I don't do huge numbers like the open counry guys, I hunt the woods - but manage to get plenty offeathers for stone fly patterns.

FICHYCROW-1.jpg

here's a foxy 4 good measure:

03-23-12FOX.jpg

later

Quote:The Big Mac and fries is an international call sign to crows that free chow is waiting for them - they can recognize it from 30,000 feet.

laugh.gif

I set up my kill pile from the deer kils and trapped animals with crow sniping in mind. I will set it up so I have a good vantage point of it from a hide a couple of hundred yards away. Every morning like clock work, the crows will visit an established kill pile which becomes a known food source for them. I have also placed this kill pile right along a off-the-roost morning flyway. IT has worked pretty good for me.

We have a summer season for Crows here and I have never had much luck with calling them. I have however, taken a white towel with red paint on it and placed it on the ground out in the open along an established fly way. Again, get in a hide a couple of hunderd yards out and wait and see what happens at first light.

Here might be a dumb question, so dont laugh at me too much. Are there any "trophys" when it comes to crow hunting? [/quote]

Yes! A crow with white spots is called 'piebald' roughly 3-9% of crows have this pigmentation.

Back