stumped

For the purposes of the op original question, the wilson case gauge will do exactly what he needs done. His problem stems from neck sizing and not full length sizing and moving the shoulder back properly. Which, the wilson case gauge will help him with.

https://lewilson.com/case-gage/
Evrything else u are talking about is extra for the moment. Until he full length resizes the brass and tries it, theres no need to complicate him any more than this step.

Last edited:
I'll add my 2c!
My buddies dad reloaded "06" with a RCBS FL die for eight people with multiple guns, never had a problem with any of them cycling, I started reloading for multiple "06's" and never had a problem either. When I bought a 7400 I went with a SB die JIC, but full length sizing with a standard FL die don't seem to cause any problems with the semi.
I tend to agree that the die just needs a small adjustment, at least that's where I would start and go from there.

I started over today with once fire brass.Readjusted the sizing die ran ten shells thru then checked them by dropping them into the chamber,Made four dummy rounds and cycled them thru the rifle with no issues.Loaded up fifty rounds.i'll be heading to the range tomorrow.
I'm going to reread and write down my prosses for a reference sheet.

Originally Posted By: ny hunterI started over today with once fire brass.Readjusted the sizing die ran ten shells thru then checked them by dropping them into the chamber,Made four dummy rounds and cycled them thru the rifle with no issues.Loaded up fifty rounds.i'll be heading to the range tomorrow.

i'm glad to hear that a die setting adjustment seems to have resolved your issue.

here's to a satisfactory result with your range tests!

Quote:I'm going to reread and write down my prosses for a reference sheet.

this is a solid plan to follow when reloading.

both accuracy and safety are acheived by consistency with this hobby. get a good working process in place and follow that - for every caliber. dont forget to include inspection steps in your process at key points like resizing and trimming just to name a couple.

one of the great uses for a tool like Sheridan gauge is a plunk as you go test. for example: test the first 5 cases you do to make sure everything's normal, and then sample every 10th one to assure yourself that you're maintaining consistency.

as noted, you can do the same thing with your calipers and the tools you already have.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Throw your Neck Sizing Die in thr trash and buy a Full length resizing die....dont ever ever ever neck size anything. Its a waste of time and effort.

^^^^this is funny.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Neck sizing only degrades accuracy it does not help accuracy.

^^^^^^also funny.
lol.gif
lol.gif

you do know that for every youtube video that claims neck sizing sucks, there ia another video that claims neck sizing does not suck?

i have had great results neck sizing for over 45 years. some wiener on youtube is not going to convince me neck sizing is less accurate than full length sizing. not going to happen.

Thanks again guys
Everything went well at the range today.I have to admit I've gotten sloppy with my reloading,but this new[used] gun has change all that.I'm going to tighten it up.

thanks for the link stu farish i'm going to set one up now.

one problem I've encounter with neck sizing -and I've also had it with a set of Lee full length dies- is if the die isn't true & the neck gets cocked. too much runout will make it impossible to have an accurate load, regardless of which method is used.

I use an RBCS tool to measure the runout when setting up my rifle dies. the tool isn't cheap but I went through more than enough bullets, powder & more importantly range time due to that Lee die set that it easily cost much more than the tool did. so now I always use it when setting up new rifle dies.

but a good neck sizing die with minimal runnout is fine. I've been neck sizing (Redding dies) my 30-06 brass since 1993, for example.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Catdog1Throw your Neck Sizing Die in thr trash and buy a Full length resizing die....dont ever ever ever neck size anything. Its a waste of time and effort.

^^^^this is funny.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Neck sizing only degrades accuracy it does not help accuracy.

^^^^^^also funny.
lol.gif
lol.gif

you do know that for every youtube video that claims neck sizing sucks, there ia another video that claims neck sizing does not suck?

i have had great results neck sizing for over 45 years. some wiener on youtube is not going to convince me neck sizing is less accurate than full length sizing. not going to happen.

until youve won half the titles Erik has...i dont really care what u think. Heck, his turds have placed in more comeptitions than uve entered.

Scroll thru his portfolio here and tell me how many of these that you have achieved.
http://www.lapua.com/en/lapua-team/lapua-team-usa/erik-cortina.html

Last edited:
Back