Does it count???

KjBeachy

I was out groundhog hunting yesterday. Like usual, I was using my RAP in 6.5 creedmore topped with a vortex diamondback tactical 4-12, shooting 129sst.
I spotted a groundhog on the opposite ridge of me. According to the huntstand app distance measuring thing, he was 625 yards.
I had what I guessed to be about an 8 mph wind coming in at my 2 o'clock.
I dialed everything up using sterlock pro. After watching the groundhog for a bit, he stood up. I put the cross hairs dead center on his head and shot.
When I shot i saw dust fly right behind his head. Instead of running to his hole like a normal groundhog, he spun and ran for a corn field.
After a bit i went over to the hole, expecting to find nothing. Instead i found blood. Not very much blood, but enough to prove I hit him.

So does that count?

I’d say it counts as a hit, but not a kill. I’m surprised that the HuntStand app is that accurate. I was playing around with the OnX maps distance tool the other day, looked to be about right but didn’t have a long range rangefinder with me to verify.

No kill but if you found body parts like intestines and bone then I would call it a kill. I WOULD call it a good shot though.

Trusting is iffy, but verifying is what's called for. I remember the only Texas heart shot I've ever tried on a groundhog. It got back in the hole and my buddy got him next year, scarred hiney and all. I would've been wrong to count it as a kill. Those rascals can heal from some pretty bad wounds, so I have to agree with the above post that it only counts if it's DRT or you see innerds fly.

I remember my first 500+ yard kill on a ground squirrel. I watched him fly after a shot from my .220 Swift. I whooped and gave instructions to my hunting partner to lazer me when I found his body. After stumbling over uneven ground and crawling through a barbed wire fence I was almost to where he was. On the other side of a canal. Filled with water. Deep water.

I told myself right then and there that if I ever find this Murphy guy I was going to beat the s#it out of him.

A long time ago I used a .22 hornet for chucks, the last box of 50 I had a body count of 47 confirmed kills. Two misses were confirmed that were well out there and I saw the dust fly short of the target, BUT there was this one! All I could see was the head sticking out of the hole, aimed at the head and saw dust fly at the hole. When I went to check it out I saw a short shallow groove on top of the loose ground and blood all over the hole, never counted that as a kill without a body!

Originally Posted By: SixsixtyMagsA long time ago I used a .22 hornet for chucks, the last box of 50 I had a body count of 47 confirmed kills. Two misses were confirmed that were well out there and I saw the dust fly short of the target, BUT there was this one! All I could see was the head sticking out of the hole, aimed at the head and saw dust fly at the hole. When I went to check it out I saw a short shallow groove on top of the loose ground and blood all over the hole, never counted that as a kill without a body!

I'll give you a "half-credit", if it makes you feel better.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Back