Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#3163817 - 09/19/18 08:33 PM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: photohunter]
photohunter Offline
Predator Master

Loc: CA
Copy that, thanks. I can see it being great in the right application, if the terrain cooperated. I thought it was a complete enclosure though... 90 degrees may be great, or not... I'm leaning more towards heavy camo and no movement.

I found a turkey kill site today... got a bunch of feathers and made a couple of bundles for decoys... if you watch enough internet you realize that it's impossible not to attract a few dozen bobcats every time you turn your call on. Looking forward to that. thumbup haha.

Cougar question... all these stories about them winding up coming in from behind... what is the best way to try to minimize that, assuming you've got a treeline/open space kind of thing to work with... or is the better bet to get in the thick cover and just do your best to try to call them out front? Any good resources on strategies for cougar stands? I've been on other forums with the constant "use the search bar" irritated replies... I'm searching, I'm searching... but not landing on a good resource for that specific question.

#3163818 - 09/19/18 08:40 PM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: Catdog1]
fw707 Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Roadside watermelon stand
Originally Posted By: Catdog1
Originally Posted By: fw707
Personally if you decide to buy a Foxpro I would just buy the decoy that goes with it that would be the easiest thing. Other than that just a couple wings from an owl or a hawk on some string will work

Do you prefer hawk wings, or owl wings?

either or. Just whatever i can come across from a dead one on the side of the road.

Ok.
Does the US Fish and Wildlife Service make exemptions for possession of parts of road-killed federally protected raptors?

Carl Sagan

#3163850 - 09/19/18 11:36 PM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: fw707]
Catdog1 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Prarie ghost
Personally if you decide to buy a Foxpro I would just buy the decoy that goes with it that would be the easiest thing. Other than that just a couple wings from an owl or a hawk on some string will work

either or. Just whatever i can come across from a dead one on the side of the road.

Ok.
Does the US Fish and Wildlife Service make exemptions for possession of parts of road-killed federally protected raptors?

im permitted to posses them.

#3163853 - 09/19/18 11:41 PM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: Catdog1]
fw707 Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Roadside watermelon stand

Ok.

Would you mind sharing the details of your exemption?

Carl Sagan

#3163856 - 09/20/18 12:01 AM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: photohunter]
g Bo Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Utah
Go to the link that Doubleck suggests spend I think it's $50 and you'll be way farther ahead than you are now.

I'm no expert but I have put in a lot of time hunting lions over the past 8-9 months and have learned a lot. I personally do not feel like a decoy will be very effective in calling lions. If you know lions are around I think a blind will help with concealing your movements. Listen to Steves talks on lion hunting and you will learn tons. I had two come in from behind and above me and it does make you abit unsettled. I finally called in two at once.

Finally posted the story on the predator hunting post. "Finally called a lion"

As far as caliber of side arm, pack something that will have some energy but I believe one shot from any gun would for sure change an attacking lions attitude.

They are an amazing animal.

Edited by g Bo (09/20/18 12:02 AM)

#3163860 - 09/20/18 01:00 AM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: photohunter]
photohunter Offline
Predator Master

Loc: CA
Right on, thanks. Definitely will get that package from rain shadow's site.
Holy smokes, you went through it... Nice work. Here's hoping for no broken ribs or equipment... 9 months would be awesome though, you got it done relatively quickly, considering.

Very torn on a blind. I get it, but the restriction may outweigh the benefits for me. I may try it to see how I feel about it. as a photographer I have done the motionless hour+ many times... Never for something as shy as a cougar, but still... Not completely ignorant about it. I've had a turkey peck my foot.

Can you explain your reasoning on the ineffectiveness of a decoy for a lion?

#3163870 - 09/20/18 04:18 AM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: fw707]
Catdog1 Offline
Die Hard Member

Ok.

Would you mind sharing the details of your exemption?
it's not an exemption.... it's a permit.
That's about all the detail i can share.

Edited by Catdog1 (09/20/18 04:23 AM)

#3163884 - 09/20/18 10:15 AM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: photohunter]
SlickerThanSnot Online
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence
some native americans(indians) are allowed to possess feathers and other various parts of federally protected raptors for use in religious ceremonies.

BUT, to obtain eagle, hawk, owl, falcon, etc feathers for religious ceremonies, native americans can’t just go out and collect their own feathers. they must get them through a federal repository.

seems somebody is breaking the law and is giving out some terrible advice here.

#3163885 - 09/20/18 10:23 AM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: photohunter]
SlickerThanSnot Online
PM senior

funny story. was at a flea market a few years back. on a table were a pair of dried hawk legs complete with toes and talons. i picked up the pair of feet and asked the lady behind the table if she knew they were illegal to possess and were damm sure not legal to be selling.

she replied that she was native american and she could possess them and sell them.

i told her i knew a wildlife officer and i was going to go call him to come down to have a look.

you would not believe how fast those 2 feet were snatched up and put in a box under the table. lol

#3163888 - 09/20/18 10:48 AM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: SlickerThanSnot]
Catdog1 Offline
Die Hard Member

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot

seems somebody is breaking the law and is giving out some terrible advice here.

Wrong.... just because you don't know everything does not mean that I don't have a permit to possess them which I do.

Native Americans are not the only people in the world that can submit an application for a permit to possess hawk or owl feathers or eagle feathers

Edited by Catdog1 (09/20/18 10:52 AM)

#3163889 - 09/20/18 10:55 AM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: SlickerThanSnot]
Catdog1 Offline
Die Hard Member

funny story. was at a flea market a few years back. on a table were a pair of dried hawk legs complete with toes and talons. i picked up the pair of feet and asked the lady behind the table if she knew they were illegal to possess and were damm sure not legal to be selling.

she replied that she was native american and she could possess them and sell them.

i told her i knew a wildlife officer and i was going to go call him to come down to have a look.

you would not believe how fast those 2 feet were snatched up and put in a box under the table. lol
funny story, I called you out on a different thread and all I've heard so far is crickets. What happened did the cat get your tongue? Tell us about all those trophies that you've won

#3163891 - 09/20/18 11:14 AM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: photohunter]
SlickerThanSnot Online
PM senior

called me out? all you did was claim you knew something about turds from a guy named erik. you some kind of turd expert?

where did i say i won all those trophies? your reading comprehension needs some refinement.

#3163892 - 09/20/18 11:17 AM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: Catdog1]
SlickerThanSnot Online
PM senior

Native Americans are not the only people in the world that can submit an application for a permit to possess hawk or owl feathers or eagle feathers

yeah, sure, ok. you are *special*. you can go around cutting wings off of road killed eagles, hawks and owls.

yeah, sure, special indeed.

for you people that are not *special*, please do not do this.

#3163893 - 09/20/18 11:18 AM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: SlickerThanSnot]
Catdog1 Offline
Die Hard Member

yeah, sure, ok. you are *special*. you can go around cutting wings off of road killed eagles, hawks and owls.

yeah, sure, special indeed.

for you people that are not *special*, please do not do this.
it's got nothing to do with being special... all it has to do with is I submitted the proper application and was awarded a permit... simple as that sorry you're so butt hurt over that

Edited by Catdog1 (09/20/18 11:19 AM)

#3163894 - 09/20/18 11:24 AM Re: New guy... Cougar advice, is this as dumb as it sounds? [Re: photohunter]
Catdog1 Offline
Die Hard Member

Why is it every forum has got a couple know it alls like this....some washed out guy in his 70s thinks he knows everything because he can use a keyboard....trying to play johnnie cop/game ranger at the flea market...lol

A high percentage of the time guys like this are lying out of their teeth about 99% of the things they claim.

They always seem to have an extremely high post count... make comments on topics that aren't even relevant.

Normally smart mouthed and think they own the Forum.
When they really get butt hurt they're the first to go whining to the moderator to try to get you banned.

The fact he hangs out at flea markets says all i need to know about him...bwahahaha lol lol lol

Edited by Catdog1 (09/20/18 12:05 PM)

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.