good to 100 y can't make it to 200y

boltrunner

20180805_061552.jpg
lower left group is at 100y . lower shot was the first shot. next 4 was after 2 clicks up. load was 60g v max 25.2 g h335 3040 fps. barrel BHW 18" pencil 1-8 .223 . can anyone tell me why the bullet is coming apart between 100 and 200. hornady tells me it should be good up to 4000 fps?

Eh, my buddy pushes his about the same and we were shooting 350 yards no problem. What do you mean coming apart? You think dejacketing or just groups are opening up?

I don't understand what the picture is supposed to show. Definitely no hint of a poof on it.

But if you are getting poofs at 3K. It's your barrel. Not the bullet. Which is not to say you might not find other bullets of sturdier construction that won't poof, yet. But it's your barrel that is the problem. If there really is a problem.

- DAA

well all i know is at 200 yards the bullet must have come apart between 100y and 200y for all i can figure no impact what so ever on paper or anywhere on the berm and i was not the only one watching for a impact on the berm. i'm just looking for a little insight. as for the picture it's just to show what i got at 100y.

huh? what i get from reading, rifle/bullet combo shoots what looks to be a pretty good group at 100 yards.

also what i get from reading, the same bullet type, shot out of the same rifle, vanishes, goes poof, somewhere in between 100 and 200 yards.

i don't think that is happening either. not sure what is. but not that.

Did you shoot the rifle again at 100 yards after shooting it at 200 yards?

Two different times over the last 40 years or so I have had a scope go bad or break inside. I was just wondering if your rifle still shoots fine at 100 yards after you had the problem at 200 yards.

It seems like if it was the bullet coming apart, it would come apart before it got to 100 yards when it is going at a much faster speed.

If it's the barrel, at least you got 4 good shots out of it. I haven't seen bullet velocity or rpm's faster between 100-200 yards than the muzzle, thought at first this must be a creedmoor.lol. Scope check please.

Definitely not poofing a 60gr. VMAX at 3040fps. I've shot many 40gr. thru 60gr VMAX out of 22-250 with zero problems.
Something else is going on. Check your scope, try some factory ammo.

It can poof a 60gr vmax at that speed easily if the barrel is in poor shape as DAA mentioned. Rough bore could be causing the jacket to seperate and it is finally giving up the ghost between 100-200.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reloader326If that were the case, I doubt you'd have bullet holes touching at 100 yards.

I've used up a handful of barrels to the point of poofing. Most of them were still shooting very well with the shots that were still reaching the target.

No idea if this is a one time deal, a consistent deal, a once in awhile deal, or what. A little tiny bit of info would go a long, long way towards making the answer clear.

But Occam says it's just a bullet went through a bullet hole. Without any information to go on, the simplest explanation is the most likely and that is the simplest explanation I can think of.

Poofs generally do show up (in various ways, depending on circumstance) for anyone watching down range. They generally show up for the shooter on the scope, for that matter.

- DAA

I suggest setting up a target at 125 yards, see what happens. Then 150, then 175. Please report back as you find any answers to this mystery.

I've seen 50 gr Sierra Blitz bullets come apart from a 22-250. They make a grey streak toward the target as the lead peals off. We were shooting at ground squirrels and a coyote. The bullets went wide of the targets. I believe it was a combination of a (made to be) fragile bullet, high speed, and deep riflings that may have distorted the bullet.

Back