Ordered a new rife today weatherby

Wa_Coyote_Hunter

Just ordered a new Weatherby Vanguard first lite today. Ordered in 270, was going to get a 25-06. But decided to get the bigger caliber that can handle deer as well as elk. And is very flat shooting. Also it has the accubrake on it to reduce the recoil for my neck issues. Hopefully wont take to long to receive it. It is suppose to recoil less then a 243. Will keep everyone updated when I receive it and on its accuracy. Dave

I think you made a good choice, Dave. Nothing wrong with the ageless .270 Winchester. Better gun now than it was 80+ years ago. And yes, if going after an elk the .270 is a better choice. I would not hesitate to take my .25-06 on an elk hunt when I have the magazine full of potent handloads, but I would still prefer to have a .270 on the hunt.

Originally Posted By: RustydustI think you made a good choice, Dave. Nothing wrong with the ageless .270 Winchester. Better gun now than it was 80+ years ago. And yes, if going after an elk the .270 is a better choice. I would not hesitate to take my .25-06 on an elk hunt when I have the magazine full of potent handloads, but I would still prefer to have a .270 on the hunt.

For sure, a .270 is an all around medium caliber choice. Today's bullets/ powders just elevate the performance.

I worked with a vanguard in 6.5 last year for a friend that was newer to shooting. I gotta say it made me a fan, great looking and handling rifle. I think you made a great choice.

Myself, I'm a short action guy, that said I'd have no issues with the flat shooting 270, seems like it's about the perfect deer/elk combo cartridge

Last edited:
Congrats on your new rifle. My Vanguard S2 in 25-06 is a little picky on OAL but once you find it, the rifle will do half inch with lots of stuff. It really likes Barnes 80 and 100grn TTSX.

Back