Bears come to the calls

dan158

Every year I call in at least 4 bears..
This year I called 2 in so far.. Not intentional but they do come in to my calls.. I had one pound the ground and pop its jaw.. My son had to shoot his gun to scare that one away.. It was 10 yards from him. Big bruin also..
That is why I always sit with my back against a tree.. I thought about one of those ground and pound chairs then started to think about the bears I have called in.. I want my back side concealed.. If made the slightest move and a bear was behind me with a distress call on could turn bad really fast.. Anyone else call bears in?? Dan

We have a lot of them here in PA.. It seems like the population just exploded here.. I got a 150lb female 2 years ago.. Perfect mount size she is. When I can see them coming I am calm, But when turn and they are right there is kind of nerve racking.. Dan

here in maine we also have a lot of bears. I have found that if I mix in a few howls early on in a set that i'm not bothered. once I set up where I could see a sow with 2 cubs, they were 150 or so yds. away. I started with one lone howl and right away she woofed was gone with the kids

While setting up and dropping the caller off 40 yards in front of us we saw a bear pop out to see what the heck we were the other night. Cool to see how big that guy was. Went to calling and he slipped back in the woods.

Twice during turkey season I called in a bear. Twice I called in a Fisher during turkey season and also called in a couple while calling for coyotes. Most unique animal called in was a small bull moose. I could hear him coming from behind me and he walked right up to my FoxPro and sniffed it. Of course no camera.

Of bears, buddy had a biggun come into his rattlin/deer calling session while bowhunting and grab his deer decoy. It was one of those flat sided Montana decoys. Dang bear tried carrying it off, took a good bit of yelling to get the bear to drop it. Bud got cell phone video of the encounter. Wouldn't have thought a flat sided decoy would be that convincing once grabbed. Ozark bears must be dummies.

Back