First 13 coyotes

Kirsch

I know this isn't night hunting footage. I typically post night hunting videos here, but our night season doesn't open until after deer season. Here is some day footage of recent action of the first 13 coyotes of the year. Not a huge fan of ATN but they do record decent video.

13 coyotes

thumbup.gif

The gun on this video is a 6WOA (similar to 6x6.8). I am currently shooting 60 gr Sierra hps. I shot 58 gr vmaxs for years and last year started getting too many runners, so I made the switch and am still tinkering with it.

I recently purchased a 22-250 AR. It has a JP Silent Captured Spring so am hoping to reduce some of the buffer spring noise. I also quit filming with the ATN for now. I shot the first 13 with it and the last 12 without. It is OK for filming, but a glass scope is still so much better for daylight hunting. It is fun to look back when you have video though. Thanks for watching.

K, have you tried Nosler 55 ballistic tips? Seem to penetrate a little more than the 58 V-max for me with a 243 and also the 6x45.

Last year I tried 70 Grain Nosler Blitzkings and they were ok. I also have tried 65gr Vmax out of this gun and a few other loads. However, I haven't tried the 6mm 55 BT Noslers. I have heard good things about the 55 Nosler BTs for 22 caliber as well. I had a buddy send me some and shot 2 coyotes and both ran too far. 2 coyotes is not enough to determine judgement but I just haven't had the best luck with BTs. They fly great but I just don't get as many DRTs as I would like.

I have shot Hollow Points in many brands, especially Berger, and typically love them. I have been shooting Berger Target HPs in a 17 Rem, 204 and 22-250 and they always seem to do a nice job with DRTs. Anyway, I will keep the 55's in mind. Since I am on a 22-250 kick again, will be shooting Bergers probably the rest of the season.

Why do you suppose hollow points are doing a better job with DRTs than the BTs? BTW, that's some beautiful country you live in!!

Originally Posted By: jwdakotaWhy do you suppose hollow points are doing a better job with DRTs than the BTs? BTW, that's some beautiful country you live in!!
All I have to base this on is roughly 100+ coyotes a year for 20+ years so thousands of coyotes. Especially in super small fast calibers like .17 Rem, 204, 22-250, etc I have seen lots of splashes and coyotes getting back up when they should be DRT using vmax bullets. I am not saying all calibers, all ballistic tips, etc. I am not saying it doesn't happen with HPs, but for me when looking at all the kills, they seem to anchor them better. I also like the Target HPs better than the rapid expansion or varmint HPs. I think the reason is the same. If the bullet expands too quickly it may not penetrate enough.

I can't explain the science or why so many people say they have shot hundreds/thousands as well and had no issues. I have killed hundreds/thousands with them as well, and they will kill a coyote. I am just saying hps (for me) seem to kill them quicker and with less follow up shots.

Are you happy with your 22-250 AR platform? Does it have a slow twist rate(1in12) or faster? I'm in the process of setting mine up for the season.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrLooking forward to some of your videos with it.
thumbup1.gif
I will probably start filming again once our night season opens after Thanksgiving. Hopefully will have lots of footage to share. Thanks for watching

Back