Scent free soap that doesn't cost $5 per bar

I have used one of the commercial "hunting" scent free soaps, but the bar doesn't last very long and they are not cheap.

Is there a bar soap out there that is truly scent free that doesn't cost several dollars per bar?

Ivory unscented bar soap.

Wash camo in baking soda.

Store clean clothes in plastic bags.

I think animals can smell your breath and
tell if your a meat eater or vegetarian.
They can do this in just a few seconds.

Watch the wind, thermal currents, and use
the lay of the land if possible.

I tried to do this when I was bow hunting,
thinking I was an expert at the sport, on a
budget.

They started coming out with odor fighting
carbon filter clothes about the time I gave
up archery hunting. $$$$$

Hope you find something that works well for you.

Plenty of unscented soaps. No need for it to be marketed to hunters. I also use unscented laundry detergent from costco.

I just use it cuz it is less chemicals, and it has nothing to do with hunting.

I tried that scent stuff when i started. What a gimmick. Tossed it all in the trash. After 2 weeks of camping and hunting with no shower and smelling like fish guts, beer, campfire, and BO, I still call coyote inside 25 yards and have gotten within feet of hogs. Just kill them before they get downwind!

I knew a guy that couldn't go very long with out a cigarette.

Claims to have been smoking right up to letting the arrow fly
on a couple of nice bulls. Hunting on foot, not out of tree stand.
He did have quite a few bull to his name.

Also said he would watch the smoke to see where the wind was going.

No amount of soap or sprays would cover the smell of cigarettes on
his clothes.

Originally Posted By: who meI knew a guy that couldn't go very long with out a cigarette.

Also said he would watch the smoke to see where the wind was going.

No amount of soap or sprays would cover the smell of cigarettes on
his clothes.

I mostly hunt hogs and that's one animal that no doubt lives by their nose...... I have read that they can pick up scent as far as 7 miles and 25 feet deep in the ground.

I do all the common sense things like wash my clothes in scent free detergent, use scent killer liquid soap, and scent killer deodorant. I don't believe it helps a whole lot but I have to bathe and wash my clothes so why not at least make the effort to cut down my level of scent saturation by using a product that might help.

That being said I feel confident I could kill hogs wearing my wife's favorite perfume if the wind is in my favor so that's what it takes in my opinion. If the wind is not your friend hunting hogs you might as well be home on the couch with your favorite beverage unless you are just enjoying being out in the woods in the middle of the night.

I like to hunt when there is no moon and it's pitch black so the hogs cannot see me. I have busted up large sounders before and on several occasions have had a few stop and start growling when they hit my scent on my downwind side..... The nose knows.

Last edited:
I splash on some old spice just in case I run into a cougar. Don’t waste your money or your time. Play the wind you will not fool anyone.

Well, maybe I smell just right. With the swirling winds we have in some areas, I don't always get to play the wind just right. But, I had a 340 bull within 60 yards for 45 minutes often times straight downwind, did it two days this last week.
Regardless, I'd rather limit my stink than smell like fabric softener or fragrant soap.

Quote:Regardless, I'd rather limit my stink than smell like fabric softener or fragrant soap.

Exactly my thinking. I have smelled a raunchy trashcan 100 yds upwind while I can trip over a meat wrapper and probably not smell it.
Since using scent free laundry and body soap I have had numerous animal encounters within inches.

Guys I promise u it isn’t the soap that kept them animals that close to you. They were just not catching a whiff of u your scent was just not getting to their nose. Smell like a dirty ash try and you’ll have the same results. Save that money for gas to go hunting.

Originally Posted By: devildoggGuys I promise u it isn’t the soap that kept them animals that close to you. They were just not catching a whiff of u your scent was just not getting to their nose. Smell like a dirty ash try and you’ll have the same results. Save that money for gas to go hunting.

My scent is getting to them. There is no way you can have a dozen elk in nearly all directions within 75 yards with swirling wind and NOT have your scent in their noses. You can tell when they smell you, their noses go up in the air and it is visible that they smell you. whether or not the smell causes them to leave is the question. If they do not like the smell or do not associate it with people or with a threat they do not leave, but they are on edge, one slight movement caught by them and they are gone.

On the ranch I take care of, I think the elk are somewhat used to my presence, I think they smell me all the time, and they see me all the time, then when I go hunting, they are not that alarmed by my scent. But, there is no reason to give them any more of it than necessary.

Originally Posted By: devildoggGuys I promise u it isn’t the soap that kept them animals that close to you. They were just not catching a whiff of u your scent was just not getting to their nose. Smell like a dirty ash try and you’ll have the same results. Save that money for gas to go hunting.

You're promise is not needed here. Considering I have had whitetail deer sniff my hands at mere inches, a legal buck I had to wait nearly 20 minutes for it to get enough distance to shoot.
A coyote within inches standing with it's teeth bared.
And the list goes on, many witnessed.
People find out that a canine or animal can smell amazing things and state it as an absolute, "You'll never beat that", and in those few they may be right.
Now in the real world there are variables physical and mental. Maybe the animal is curious or hungry. Maybe it smells a snack in your pack. Whatever, it overrides instinct and absolute statements.
There are so many examples I cannot write them all. I also have photos and hides for decades.
Another good example comes to mind, While hunting elk in the local mountains. A small herd of about 35 head escaped a gauntlet of over 50 hunters and 2 game wardens.
Being in an open draw they escaped into, we dropped the lead cow. The herd remained there within 30 yards while we finished(shot) dressed, quatered and loaded the cow. They sniffed the remains as we pulled away.
Coyote breeding season brings it's own amazing surprises, not only do they smell my presence but they often stand there allowing me to shoot at them and even again if I missed.
This scenario has been played out across the country and even video recorded to the tune of reloading several times.

Originally Posted By: devildoggNot going to call you a liar or anything but you should reread what you just wrote.

Oh another class act!

I remember seeing a video of a cow moose walking up to a bow hunter.

The moose touched its nose to the broad head, as the hunter stood there
by the tree with the arrow nocked on the bow string.

The cow moose had a calf with her, that bow hunter was so calm. The wind
could be seem swirling around by watching the willows.

I would have shook the arrow off the rest, the cow would have stomped me
into the ground protecting her calf.

No amount of cover scent would cover my stink after that.

Here is a link to that video

Last edited:
As noted above, I've seen all of Walmart's (and others) leftover stuff go on major sales after the hunting seasons - usually after New Year's here. Lotsa handwarmers too.

Product called "Forget the Wind"

family and friends have used it for 10 years, it is amazing at reducing the parts per million of human scent to where those long nose does and most coyotes never pay it any attention. We have so many stories that no one would believe.

George Edwards
in OK

405-843-3431
405-843-3431

or

byogeorge@aol.com

The product works. George has a laundry soap also. None of these products are expensive.

I am in no way affiliated with George Edwards other than my family and friends buy his product. Nothing short of amazing things happen when you disguise your scent. Guys that think that you can't trick a coyote's nose, old doe's nose, buck's nose simply has not tried.

Of course, there is nothing like being in an area that has a high population of coyotes.

If you don't like the whole idea of diminishing your human scent, then put out more scent(parts per million) of an attractant. Trappers have been using attractants for hundreds of years, plenty of proof of attractants working.

It's just another tool in the tool box, no more, no less. Yearlings make up 60% of what we kill, many of them don't know much. Throw the yearlings a little something that smells good, and many are in your pocket.

Years ago, we hunted hundreds of miles below the Mexican border with coyote populations that were very high. On some hunts, we were not able to shower for up to 2 weeks, we still killed coyotes, smoked cigarettes and cigars...swisher sweets to be specific. We got busted many times, some smelled our tracks, others caught our scent cone, others stuck their noses right to the caller.

We hung out two socks filled with two cans of sardines in oil, and had a spray bottle with 50/50 rabbit urine. At the start of the stand, we would spread out in a straight line(usually 4 guys), hang the two socks in the middle of us, and two guys would have small spray bottles. Two pumps on the spray bottles, then indicate to the other guys which way the slightest wind was blowing as an aid to tell which direction the coyotes may come from. Worst weekend we ever had was 13 animals...high pressure front over the top of us with rising barometric pressure.

I always loved to see a coyote out about 250 yards with his nose up in the air drinking in the attractant we had put out. It always looked like the coyote was drunk or intoxicated as he got a snoot full of rabbit urine or sardines in oil.

I first got turned on to a cover scent in the mid 70's using a two part solution of Tex Isabel's Skunk Screen. Tex duplicated skunk spray in a two part solution. We put 6 drops of each solution on the sock, and would hang it as high in a bush as we could reach. We got many coyotes in our lap as the Skunk Screen was very, very pungent. Tex died and his solution died with him.

Deer, elk, hog, and elk hunters could really help themselves by using a cover scent.

Last edited:
Back