Another won't cycle question.

spotstalkshoot

18" barrel Wyde 223 chamber,non adjustable low pro gb. On a skeleton rifle stock,standard spring and buffer. Brass is frosty looking after hand ejected. Choices--
1. Chamber needs polishing
2. Need to get the carbine stock and buffer/spring( I was just shooting to see accuracy before spending money on stock I want to put on)
3. Something other then gas block alignment(looks good).

Sounds like a gas issue, as in not enough of it. Try a higher pressure, high performance ammo and see if it will cycle. If it does, then it's a gas issue, and the barrel might need porting. Fine tuning gas systems can be frustrating. Most military rifles/carbines are overgassed and will shoot just about anything. But commercial stuff is usually undergassed so that you can safely use mil-spec junk. Then when you run lower pressure/power loads, like some cheap factory stuff, it is going to short stroke or fail to cycle at all.

Sure, a rough chamber could knock off the timing, but that would have to be one VERY rough chamber to get it enough. I would say if it's "frosted" looking, that is because gas is venting around it. We see that on suppressed guns all the time.

Open up the gas port in the barrel if it is too small. I had one that was 60 thou of an inch and had to open it to 80 thou to get it to work. I have hear of some folks going even higher. Don't forget to clean the barrel after. A good stiff brushing will remove the crud. I tried all the other stuff prior to drilling out the gas port. Aluminum buffer weights and a combination of both steel and aluminum. A new buffer. Changed the spring in the buffer tube, checked the alignment of the gas block. Used an adjustable gas block and nothing worked until I drilled the barrel.

Last edited:

Put a ear plug in your chamber and close your bolt.
Blow down the muzzle and move your gas block around.
When you hear the most air, clamp it.
Then knock out the ear plug.

My built AR functions flawless with handloads using 60grain vmax up to and including 77 gr smk's as well as federal gold medal 69 & 73 match factory loads. When I go to 55's or less handloads or factory, it short strokes. When I first started running it, I took one weight out of the buffer and if functioned with everything but with recommendations here, I reinstalled it. I just figure I'll keep shooting heavies in it since it works and that's what I wanted it for anyway.

Disassembled the gas block,tube and barrel made sure there were no obstructions. Assembled the barrel,gas block and tube then plugged the chamber, lots of air out the gas tube now. Have not hit the range, made two trips to Montana to call elk for a friend. I will probably only function fire it, waiting for my suppressor stamp and then I will have to see if I need an adjustable gas block.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootDisassembled the gas block,tube and barrel made sure there were no obstructions. Assembled the barrel,gas block and tube then plugged the chamber, lots of air out the gas tube now. Have not hit the range, made two trips to Montana to call elk for a friend. I will probably only function fire it, waiting for my suppressor stamp and then I will have to see if I need an adjustable gas block.

One of the more frustrating things that we have seen in the industry in recent years is the WIDE variation in parts manufacturing, and barrels can be one of the worst. It seems like EVERY barrel manufacturer has a different OPINION as to what size the gas ports need to be.

Military rifles and carbines tend to be over sized and over gassed. They want reliable functionality. Theoretically, they have only a few ammunition loads that will be run so it is far easier to get reliable-ish, function. But in the commercial market, it's the wild wild west. There is such a wide range of ammunition, chambers, buffers, configurations, etc. Some of them, like the Wylde, try to solve problems that don't exist, or even create problems to solve. The issue had to do with people running mil-surp ammunition. It could be dangerous to run mil-surp ammunition in commercial .223 chambers. Theoretically, the Wylde solved that. However, there's no such thing as a free lunch. What we have seen is that the higher pressure mil-surp or commercial ammunition seems to work fine, the lower end, lower pressure ammunition don't. We have had many issues with chamber ammo combinations and have had to open up gas ports to work with lower end ammo. Sadly, with so many variations, adjustable gas blocks are almost becoming the norm rather than the exception.

I apologize for the rants of a frustrated armorer and manufacturer. I turn over the podium...

Had the reassembled rifle with over the weekend while helping my brother with storm damage and garage door opener install. While setting up a target a big feral cat showed, one round from 50 yards then on to the target. Fired 3 rounds total( love the 50 gr Hornady SX for small predators, no exit hard to find blood). Brass ejected at the 3-4 o'clock, unsuppressed. Hoping the stamp shows up next month, wondering if the gas pressure will be alright when I run the Sig direct thread 556 suppressor.

If they were ejecting at the 3-4 o'clock, it might be just a bit hot when suppressed.

Were those factory rounds you shot? I ask because the factory ammunition, at least those with hunting bullets, tend to be higher pressures.

My loads using new rem 223 brass, not a maxed out load, worked up for my Bushmaster several years ago. I probably will watch for an adjustable gb, will need it to adjust from the front as the hand guard covers the gb. I put the upper on a lower I threw together, used a carbine stock, buffer tube,spring and buffer(Trinity force omega kit).

Last edited:
Anderson makes an easy use and inexpensive adjustable GB that is easily adjusted from the front. It is click adjustable and it won't break the bank but is not cheaply made.

9" mid length gas system on 18" barrel, gas block is a cheap set screw type I had laying around. With my handloads throwing between 3-4 I am good as is. We'll see what happens when the first of suppressors can come home with me.

Mid gas, cheap gas block = system functions fine for now, correct? I had a 20" barrel in 556. It was rifle length and would not work with a set screw gas block that I had. I ended up having to cut the A2 fsp off and use it to keep the gas cycling properly. I wanted the lo-pro look.

I have also adjusted my 556 SBR so that it will function well with a can. I run a 10.5" barrel with a 556 spec war can. My SBR functions [beeep] good with a can on. Can off = it will not cycle. I had to adjust the gas system for can use.

I would like to know how yours works with the can without an adjustable gas block.

Back