Dog proof????

parson

Will a dog proof hold a really big coon. I caught four this week in a live trap (each separate) 3 little ones and momma. She was the biggest coon I have ever caught or shot, didn’t have a scale but guessing well over 25. She about tore up the trap, bloodied up one hand, made a mess of everything. I have never used a dog proof but can hardly believe one would hold this one. What’s your experience ?

I have no doubt one of the better dog proof traps will hold a large coon, I used to catch them up to 45# in regular 1 1/2 coil springs.

DP's will hold a large coon. However if they can reach something with the other paw and grab a hold they can pull out of the DP after working on it for a while. I've held a lot o 20+ coon with them.

Originally Posted By: John56DP's will hold a large coon. However if they can reach something with the other paw and grab a hold they can pull out of the DP after working on it for a while. I've held a lot o 20+ coon with them.
Same here the only ones I have lost have been the ones that got wrapped up in small saplings where they could get some leverage against the trap. Other than that they hold fine
J

Back