Seat/Chair. What does everyone find to be the best?

You need to be able to change your shooting position quickly and easily without a bind. Deep seated chairs are horrible for changing shooting positions. A bucket or stool will allow you to swing to the extremes left and right, and easily stand up and shoot behind you.

It is nice to have a chair that will easily clip on your belt, you often may have a coyote run in on you as you walk in or out. This leaves your gun hand free.

I like a fold up stool, will carry a pair of hand pruners in a belt sheath and carve a hole in a bush to break up my outline. This gives me some elevation, and cut branches on grease woods help hide my scent.

In AWS first picture, I use a stool like the one on the far left, I don't care about back support. All seats with back support limit my far right hand shots and forget easily standing up shooting behind you. I don't like a big, noisy thing to carry out to sit on. Too much crap to carry out makes for an unpleasant walk.

I use the double bull chair from cabelas and the kickstand vest from cabelas. They both have their time and place.

With the chair it's nice to be above the ground brush and give yourself a shooting lane. You can also transition around easier from that seating position. I almost always use the chair on predetermined stands i've called in the past, spots where I know exactly where i'm going to setup.

The vest is nice if i'm just covering ground and calling random stands. You can just plop down wherever, whenever. It also does better on uneven ground. The one downside is your close to the ground and your line of sight isn't as good, at least here in the northeast.

I'd have to say 75% of the time in using the double bull chair.

Just bought a folding dove stool with a back support that folds away. It was $10 at Rural King. I've had it out 3 times and love it so far.

I too like the dove stools. I don't have a back on mine, but they are pretty light and inexpensive so I have purchased several. I like to wrap my stool legs in camo duct tape to keep them a little quieter.

849237 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

I just got a Beard Buster/Ground and Pound seat so thought I would give a shout out to the guys that mentioned it here. It appears to be well made and comfortable here in the house. Its very lite, about 2 lbs, easy to carry, like a backpack and has room for an ecaller and other stuff. It is not going to get a person up high like a stool or chair will but is going to be good where there is nothing to lean on or sit up against. I like it.

Originally Posted By: GreyhunterHas anyone tried the Alps Outdoors grand slam turkey vest? It has a metal frame with a kickstand back rest. I'd like to know if you can reach back into the bird pouch and pull out an E-call while wearing it? It's a pain having to take off a back pack to get to the call when you have an AR slung across your front and over the back pack straps.
I also like that the seat pad just flips up and secures with magnets.
The Alps is spendy but I have Cabelas points burning a whole in my pocket.

I use the redhead turkey vest from bass pro. Love it front right pouch is large enough for my FoxPro. Seat is very comfortable. I use the rear bird bag to haul my coyote decoy when I use it.

shop/en/RedHead-Bucklick-Creek-Turkey-Lounger-Vest-for-Men

I am looking for a new seat too. I been just using a foam pad for a long time. Seems I am always just a little low and of course it kills my back. However, it is very light and quite. THe thing I am hesitant on is I am almost always on a bit of a hill, and often the only flat spot is just a tiny patch of ground big enough for the pad. I am skeptical that anything with legs will work on a hillside.

In those situation I use a seat called The Wedge which folds open and has a back so its a lot more comfortable than just a flat pad I have used them before and it kills my back too.

Now I use a Dove style stool but our ground here is mostly flat so that works very well and gets me up off the ground.

Here is the link to the Wedge seat. https://thermaseat.com/product/d-wedge-series-supreme

They have went up in price since I bought mine some years back I think I paid about half as much as they are asking now.

Last edited:
Because of our varied terrain I carry both a folding stool as well as one of those $20 stadium seats. I put the stadium, seat on the stool for back support when I need to sit up high and just use the stadium seat on the ground when I have elevation.

I clip the stadium chair to my backpack and lash the stool to the bottom of the backpack on the bottom loops. Hands free and lightweight solution for pretty much any scenario.

I went through several pads/chairs/stools.

Below is a photo of some of the cushions and stools that I use, and a general review.
jQRBoas.jpg

From front left to rear right.

1. Generic closed foam cushion.
Pros; Light, easy to carry, inexpensive. Good as a loaner to someone who doesn't have their own equipment. Sets close to the ground for easier concealment.
Cons; Very little padding, no built in back support. Good for short term use only.

2. Browning cushion.
Pros; 2" thick padding and a built in back support. Backpack style carrying straps and can be used as an open backpack. This is a nice cushion for setting on the ground for a moderate period of time.
Cons; A little heavy and bulky for a cushion. Pricey, I think it was around $40.00.

3. Avery Outdoors stool.
Pros; This is a well built stool with a built in back support. Full cross member legs so it does not sink into soft ground. No seat padding but the webbing is comfortable for a moderate period of time. 9" seat height. Carry strap included.
Cons; Poor back support but does what it is designed to do at a price point of $25.00

4. Browning Turkey Chair.
Pros; This is far and away my favorite chair. It is as comfortable as any chair that I have ever used. 8" seat height. Excellent back support. Carry strap included. We use this as the shooters chair when we're predator hunting because it puts the shooter below the spotter.
Cons; A little heavy, pricey at $50.00

5. Houtz and Barwick (discontinued, but other brands are available)
Pros; Lightweight, well built, comfortable. 19" seat height. Carry strap included. We use this for the spotter chair when we're predator hunting.
Cons; A little "creaky" when you move around in it. The legs will sink into soft ground.

6. Redneck Outdoors Swivel Stool.
Pros; A premium hunting stool. Built like a tank. Silent swivel and good back support. Decent padding. Carry strap included. An excellent stool for a hunting blind where you plan to spend a long period of time. Adjustable seat height.
Cons; Heavy at 16 lbs. We only use it when we're hunting out of the Mule and don't have to carry it far. Pricey, right around $100.00 if i remember right.

To sum it up, if I could only have one, hands down I would choose #4 the Browning Turkey Chair.
When you get my age, comfort comes first and the Browning delivers.

With that said, I now use a tripod almost exclusively. Being elevated for a better field of view is nice. But, I am hunting exclusively at night. If I was day hunting I would use a seat of some kind.

Last edited:
Long before I started predator hunting, I bought a Double Bull blind and one of their folding stools/seats for turkey hunting. That was before Primos bought them out. The seat came with a full lifetime guarantee when I bought it and the original owners/founders of Double Bull sold them. One of the feet bent up pretty bad on a hunt so I called Double Bull to see about having it replaced or fixed. Well, by then Primos had bought out Double Bull and they said they didn't recognize the original lifetime guarantee. But they were "nice" enough to offer me free shipping on a new stool if I bought one. Grrrrrr. Anyway, I still use the same old Double Bull folding seat with the bent foot that I've been using for years now. It works, but I've got to watch it on uneven ground.

7 gallon bucket much taller. Better for us old guys with knee replacements. Add a 3/4 padded ice fishing seat. You just reach down and pull your sandwich or water bottle through little opening in front. I have seen a lot of big money chairs but
the 7 gallon tall bucket is the best. Marty

Just picked up a Guidesman Tri-Legged Chair from Menards $16.99 on sale. Appears to be a double bull knock off! Solid chair 300 lbs. rating. Weighs 6.4 lbs. A ole guy can't have enough chairs!!!

I busted out the Cabela's points and bought an Alps Outdoorz grand slam turkey vest . It has a built in kick stand back rest which is the main reason I bought it. We hunt open ground with no back support and it was just killing my back. The Alps vest is very comfortable to sit in and the seat is good. Pockets are designed for turkey hunting but I found a use for most of them.
My only complaint is the magnet system which holds the seat up when walking does not really work if you have anything in the game bag, which is where I carry my tripod and shockwave. I'll have to jerry-rig a solution for that.

Back