remington 7400

leverman

As many know, the Remington 7400 is the latest ( and unless i'm mistaken, the last of its kind in the Remington line up) iteration of their venerable semi auto woodmaster model which dates back to the 50's.
I owned a 7400 one as did my two sons and each one presented feeding problems. A careful examination of this rifle exposes the poor quality of the stamped parts the sloppy interconnection of the integral components and the difficulty of chambering and ejecting cartridges by hand. Certainly not one of Remington's finest efforts. Each of many qualified gun smiths and gun shop owners I spoke with all had the same negative comments regarding this model. We finely traded them for other guns.
One by one, each of the famous and revered firearms manufacturers have been acquired by multinational corporations, whose focus is on the bottom line, and not pride in the final product. Gone are the past guiding principles by which these famous gun companies operated.
Gone are the practices such as the use of only the highest quality metals and materials used in the precisely machined parts; gone is the expert manner in which the firearms were assembled, and gone are the high standards of quality control which were the hallmarks of these respected and venerable gun manufacturers.
I collect Savage 99's and i'm still awed by the beauty of these rifles, their strength, precise fit of all parts, smoothness of actions, and of course the flawless way in which they operate, shot after shot. Similarly, other firearms such as the pre "64" Winchesters , Sakos, Carl Gustovs, Marlins, Smith and Wessons and Colts, to name a few, were also manufactured using the same high standards which resulted in high quality firearm that were pleasing to the eye, reliable, durable operated flawlessly and were possessions to treasure for years to come.
High quality firearms are still being manufactured, but at premium prices which are usually beyond the reach of the average shooter and hunter.
I recently purchased a Browning stainless lever action in .358 cal and was very impressed with this rifle. Each of the parts fit precisely. The wood and metal are beautifully finished, the action is silky smooth and it shoots consistent minute of angle accuracy. I believe these excellent rifles are manufactured in Japan, and as with most of their high quality products, these rifles are well worth their cost.
Fortunately, American handgunners can still purchase high quality hand guns, albeit mostly semi autos. The era of wheel guns from the 50's and 60's such as the magnificent Colt Python and the plethora of models offered by Smith, each one almost perfect in every way, and made to stay that way for years of trouble free shooting, and durability, has passed. The products they offer today are incomparable to those manufactured fifty years ago. You may disagree, but that's the way I see it....

I just looked on Remingtons site and didn't see a semi auto with the exception of their "Sporting Rifle" which is an AR. Have they dropped production of the semi auto rifles?

Yah, and the 750 (308) that I had couldn't empty a mag without feed problems.
Was very frustrating.
Tried a variety of factry ammo & started reloading for it, but had no magic.
Good thing is; I traded it on a bushmaster 308 AR10, and that fed like a champ.

I've had some very good luck with Remingtons pumps and semi-autos. While stationed in Taiwan I purchased a 742 BDL Deluxe, humped receiver and basket weave checkering. It was in 308 and I set it up with a receiver sight, sling and a few extra mags. I shot it in informal competition with the ROC army and slung untold rounds of Mil-ball ammo through it. I took it home and scoped it for my dad and he killed deer with it for 20 yrs and as he got older it was too heavy so I gave it to one friends son, he is still most likely killing deer with it.

I gav my "X" wife a 760 in 270 for a deer rifle, she was a magician with her 870's on the skeet and trap field, a whispered comment while she was shooting skeet doubles "Damm, I couldn't even see the slide move". With 140gr Sierra's it would shoot right along with my best varmint guns. Never a bobble out of it.

Third is a later 760 in 35 Rem that I keep stashed at my BinL's back in WI so I can just catch a flight home to deer hunt, again stone reliable and quite accurate.

I think there are a lot of good ones out there that you never hear about because they just keep doing there job for guys that just hunt once a year and never visit gun internet sights.

I owned a gunshop for a few years and would take them in trade and would always test fire them that's how I found my X's. I didn't get a lot but they all worked well and when I resold them I never got one back.

The Remington semi automatic rifle was dropped from production several years ago. It was always a stinker and had a butt load of various issues. Probably the most severe was bolt chatter in the receiver that would eventually render the rifle unusable as a semi automatic. There were actually several gunsmithing services that would convert the semi auto to slide action pump format. The Remington pump rifles are so good it's a shame Remington even bothered with trying to produce a workable semi automatic. The pump guns are jewels.

I have a friend with one of the old pump guns in 06'. Dang thing kills on both ends. Its got to be the hardest kicking rifle I've ever shot. Accurate??? Well, he kills deer with it. He jury rigged the trigger and its pretty light, probably to light for that rifle but he likes it. He loves that gun but if I never shoot it again that'll be OK with me.

They sold a bunch of those. They were loving called "The Pennsylvania Machine Gun".
I think 9 out of 10 deer hunter owned one in Pennsylvania, most were 30-06.
I hunted with the same group year after year. One fall Joe and I got ours mixed up.
They all looked alike. The next year we traded back.

I had a 760 BDL .270 pump several years ago that was a real accurate and reliable shooter. My brother now has it.

my first deer rifle was a 7600 in 30-06. great shooter (moa with factory stuff, cloverleafs with handloads). dad has an older 742bdl, and we've got a 7400 in the family too. both of the autoloaders have feeding issues from time to time - but they both kill deer too.

my 7600 feeds anything i put in the mag and never has had an issue.

I was given a 742 and it killed a deer but seemed well worn. I decided to try a new 7400 and it jammed open while zeroing. Could not get it loose so back to the store it went.
I saw no reason to try that again.

Rem pumps are so accurate I am surprised they never caught on with the predator crowd. I tried them but got so excited, I forgot to pump, just kept trying to pull the trigger or short stroked them.

I shot the Sierra 90g Hp in a 270 pump and it was an awesome killing machine, especially in some else's hands that shot 870's.

The 243 that I had shot 5/8"-3/4" with IMR 4064 and 85g Sierra bthp and it was brutal on coyotes.

With the 7400's, if the lip on the mag gets bent or worn, they will jam. When a 7400 owner starts having trouble, he should replace the magazine immediately..throw it away...don't save it for a spare.

Changing out the spring on the 7400, 7600, model 4 & 6's, 870's and 1100's makes for some very fine triggers.

Only used a 7400 once. Out scouting for elk with a friend of mine ( he was driving, his rifle) and a coyote presented itself off my side of the truck. Shot the coyote, gun jammed. End of my experience with a 7400. The pumps as stated above are very nice, owned many, including a 760 in .223. Nephew of mine "borrowed" that one many years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanRem pumps are so accurate I am surprised they never caught on with the predator crowd. I tried them but got so excited, I forgot to pump, just kept trying to pull the trigger or short stroked them.

I shot the Sierra 90g Hp in a 270 pump and it was an awesome killing machine, especially in some else's hands that shot 870's.

this is exactly why i selected my 7600 when i picked out my first deer rifle....

my 870 was/is an extension of my arms. i was knocking down clays with it for a couple years before i got that 7600.

the one drawback about a pump action rifle when hunting - if you're resting the forearm on anything you have to pick the gun up off your rest to cycle it and then preposition it back down. this also makes them suck for target shooting at a bench.

Lever action is no different in that regard, shooting off a rest. I agree it's an aggravation.

I have the remington 750 auto and the 7600 pump both in 30-06 .. Both are very accurate .. I have never had an issue with either gun except the magazines .. The mags are thin and cheaply made .. If the magazine gets bent or worn both guns will jam .. As long as there is a good magazine in the guns and they are clean both work perfectly ..

I have no problems buying older rifles in good condition. Most new offerings on the rack can’t hold a candle to older craftsmanship.

Just the other week I bought a 1970 Ruger Mod 77RS in 284 Winchester. Did I need it, not really. I kinda wanted a partner for my favorite cartridge. This Ruger has a Douglas barrel, rich bluing, and an easily adjusted trigger. This gun was on consignment at a local shop, I finally tended an offer & we met somewhere in the middle.

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 I have no problems buying older rifles in good condition. Most new offerings on the rack can’t hold a candle to older craftsmanship.

Just the other week I bought a 1970 Ruger Mod 77RS in 284 Winchester. Did I need it, not really. I kinda wanted a partner for my favorite cartridge. This Ruger has a Douglas barrel, rich bluing, and an easily adjusted trigger. This gun was on consignment at a local shop, I finally tended an offer & we met somewhere in the middle.

Gonna guess... wrong thread?

I have my Dad's 7400 270, a mid 80's model, and it never has jammed, even with reloads. When I worked for Camfour in the 70's and 80's I sold a lot of 742's, 7400's here in the northeast. Also Ruger 44 auto's. People kept buying them, so most must have worked. They always out sold the 760's and 7600's. That's just my experience. Don't know anything about the 750

Back